QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: shoes, organ parts
Mark Brader
2023-10-02 03:48:05 UTC
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-09-18,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by# members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

#- Or in some cases by arrangement with, but I won't
repeat this clarification on future question sets.

I wrote one of these rounds.

* Game 1, Round 2 - Miscellaneous - Shoes

Please see the handout at: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g1r2/shoe.pdf

In each case, name the type of shoe (or shoe part) indicated by the
picture and the clue. Please note that the picture numbers are to
the lower left of the images.

1. Let's start with the enormous, thin heel in picture 13.

2. In picture 2, what is the girlish name for this closed, low-cut
shoe with a strap across the instep?

3. In picture 6, what name is given to this relatively low
stiletto-style heel?

4. What is the shoe in 8, characterized by a heel that is completely
(or almost completely) filled in beneath the arch?

5. What is the generic name for the shoe in picture 1, where the
salient feature is an open back and a strap behind the ankle?

6. The shoe in picture 14 might be called a court shoe in Britain,
though the late singer Amy Winehouse sang about a pair of
them using the more familiar North American name in a risqué
combination. They have a low front, relatively low heel,
and may have a buckle or bow.

7. A perforated leather men's shoe is a brogue. But what name is
given to the specific style of perforations in picture 3,
with a W-shaped design over the toe?

8. What is the backless shoe in picture 11, a style which may or
may not be open at the toe?

9. What is the two-tone shoe in picture 5, wearable by any gender,
characterized by the plain toe and distinctive dark panel shape
over the mid-foot?

10. The shoes in 7 are characterized by a very low heel or the
absence of a heel.

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh pnyyrq
gur fubr jvgu n svyyrq-va urry n "cyngsbez" fubr, cyrnfr tb onpx
naq or zber fcrpvsvp.

* Game 1, Round 3 - Science - Organ Parts

For each question, we have an organ of the human body in mind;
we'll name a part of it; and you'll name the organ. For example,
if we said the cricoid cartilage, you'd name the larynx. We will
always speak in the singular, but some of these occur more than
once in the organ.

1. Nephron.
2. Vitreous or vitreous humor.
3. Corpus cavernosum.
4. Stratum spinosum or squamous-cell layer.
5. Cochlea.
6. Phalanx.
7. Alveolus.
8. Duodenum.
9. Occipital lobe.
10. Islet of Langerhans.

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh fnvq
"unaq" be "sbbg" sbe nal nafjre, cyrnfr or zber fcrpvsvp.
--
Mark Brader | "I do have an idea ... based on the quite obvious fact
Toronto | that the number two is ridiculous and can't exist."

Joshua Kreitzer
2023-10-02 04:43:11 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 1, Round 2 - Miscellaneous - Shoes
Please see the handout at: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g1r2/shoe.pdf
In each case, name the type of shoe (or shoe part) indicated by the
picture and the clue.
1. Let's start with the enormous, thin heel in picture 13.
stiletto (???)
Post by Mark Brader
2. In picture 2, what is the girlish name for this closed, low-cut
shoe with a strap across the instep?
Mary Janes
Post by Mark Brader
5. What is the generic name for the shoe in picture 1, where the
salient feature is an open back and a strap behind the ankle?
mule
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 1, Round 3 - Science - Organ Parts
For each question, we have an organ of the human body in mind;
we'll name a part of it; and you'll name the organ.
1. Nephron.
kidney
Post by Mark Brader
2. Vitreous or vitreous humor.
eye
Post by Mark Brader
4. Stratum spinosum or squamous-cell layer.
skin
Post by Mark Brader
5. Cochlea.
ear
Post by Mark Brader
6. Phalanx.
finger
Post by Mark Brader
7. Alveolus.
lung
Post by Mark Brader
8. Duodenum.
small intestine; large intestine
Post by Mark Brader
9. Occipital lobe.
brain
Post by Mark Brader
10. Islet of Langerhans.
pancreas

--
Joshua Kreitzer
***@hotmail.com
Dan Tilque
2023-10-02 06:00:56 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 1, Round 2 - Miscellaneous - Shoes
Please see the handout at: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g1r2/shoe.pdf
In each case, name the type of shoe (or shoe part) indicated by the
picture and the clue. Please note that the picture numbers are to
the lower left of the images.
1. Let's start with the enormous, thin heel in picture 13.
stiletto
Post by Mark Brader
3. In picture 6, what name is given to this relatively low
stiletto-style heel?
4. What is the shoe in 8, characterized by a heel that is completely
(or almost completely) filled in beneath the arch?
platforms

(damn if I know what the more specific answer is)
Post by Mark Brader
5. What is the generic name for the shoe in picture 1, where the
salient feature is an open back and a strap behind the ankle?
6. The shoe in picture 14 might be called a court shoe in Britain,
though the late singer Amy Winehouse sang about a pair of
them using the more familiar North American name in a risqué
combination. They have a low front, relatively low heel,
and may have a buckle or bow.
7. A perforated leather men's shoe is a brogue. But what name is
given to the specific style of perforations in picture 3,
with a W-shaped design over the toe?
wingtips
Post by Mark Brader
8. What is the backless shoe in picture 11, a style which may or
may not be open at the toe?
sandal
Post by Mark Brader
9. What is the two-tone shoe in picture 5, wearable by any gender,
characterized by the plain toe and distinctive dark panel shape
over the mid-foot?
Oxfords
Post by Mark Brader
3. Corpus cavernosum.
4. Stratum spinosum or squamous-cell layer.
skin
Post by Mark Brader
5. Cochlea.
ear
Post by Mark Brader
6. Phalanx.
finger
Post by Mark Brader
7. Alveolus.
lung
Post by Mark Brader
8. Duodenum.
stomach
Post by Mark Brader
9. Occipital lobe.
brain
Post by Mark Brader
10. Islet of Langerhans.
pancreas
Dan Tilque
Dan Blum
2023-10-03 02:01:01 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
2. In picture 2, what is the girlish name for this closed, low-cut
shoe with a strap across the instep?
Mary Jane
Post by Mark Brader
5. What is the generic name for the shoe in picture 1, where the
salient feature is an open back and a strap behind the ankle?
ankle-strap wedgie
Post by Mark Brader
6. The shoe in picture 14 might be called a court shoe in Britain,
though the late singer Amy Winehouse sang about a pair of
them using the more familiar North American name in a risqu?
combination. They have a low front, relatively low heel,
and may have a buckle or bow.
pumps
Post by Mark Brader
9. What is the two-tone shoe in picture 5, wearable by any gender,
characterized by the plain toe and distinctive dark panel shape
over the mid-foot?
saddle shoe
Post by Mark Brader
2. Vitreous or vitreous humor.
eyeball
Post by Mark Brader
3. Corpus cavernosum.
brain
Post by Mark Brader
4. Stratum spinosum or squamous-cell layer.
skin
Post by Mark Brader
5. Cochlea.
ear
Post by Mark Brader
7. Alveolus.
lung
Post by Mark Brader
8. Duodenum.
small intestine
Post by Mark Brader
9. Occipital lobe.
brain
Post by Mark Brader
10. Islet of Langerhans.
pancreas
Dan Blum ***@panix.com
Pete Gayde
2023-10-03 23:58:50 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
[...]
Pump
Post by Mark Brader
[...]
Liver
Post by Mark Brader
2. Vitreous or vitreous humor.
Heart; Lungs
Post by Mark Brader
3. Corpus cavernosum.
Lungs
Post by Mark Brader
4. Stratum spinosum or squamous-cell layer.
5. Cochlea.
Ear
Post by Mark Brader
6. Phalanx.
7. Alveolus.
8. Duodenum.
Intestines
Post by Mark Brader
9. Occipital lobe.
Brain
Post by Mark Brader
10. Islet of Langerhans.
Spleen
Pete Gayde
swp
2023-10-05 00:11:47 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
2. In picture 2, what is the girlish name for this closed, low-cut
shoe with a strap across the instep?
mary jane
Post by Mark Brader
3. In picture 6, what name is given to this relatively low
stiletto-style heel?
kitten heel
Post by Mark Brader
4. What is the shoe in 8, characterized by a heel that is completely
(or almost completely) filled in beneath the arch?
wedge
Post by Mark Brader
5. What is the generic name for the shoe in picture 1, where the
salient feature is an open back and a strap behind the ankle?
strap?
Post by Mark Brader
7. A perforated leather men's shoe is a brogue. But what name is
given to the specific style of perforations in picture 3,
with a W-shaped design over the toe?
wingtip?
Post by Mark Brader
10. The shoes in 7 are characterized by a very low heel or the
absence of a heel.
flats
Post by Mark Brader
2. Vitreous or vitreous humor.
eye
Post by Mark Brader
3. Corpus cavernosum.
penis
Post by Mark Brader
4. Stratum spinosum or squamous-cell layer.
skin
Post by Mark Brader
5. Cochlea.
ear
Post by Mark Brader
6. Phalanx.
fingers ; toes
Post by Mark Brader
7. Alveolus.
lungs
Post by Mark Brader
8. Duodenum.
small intestine
Post by Mark Brader
9. Occipital lobe.
brain
Post by Mark Brader
10. Islet of Langerhans.
pancreas
swp
Mark Brader
2023-10-05 05:52:14 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-09-18,
and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information
please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
I wrote one of these rounds.
The science round.
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 1, Round 2 - Miscellaneous - Shoes
Please see the handout at: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g1r2/shoe.pdf
In each case, name the type of shoe (or shoe part) indicated by the
picture and the clue. Please note that the picture numbers are to
the lower left of the images.
1. Let's start with the enormous, thin heel in picture 13.
Stiletto. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
2. In picture 2, what is the girlish name for this closed, low-cut
shoe with a strap across the instep?
Mary Janes. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
3. In picture 6, what name is given to this relatively low
stiletto-style heel?
Kitten heel. 4 for Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
4. What is the shoe in 8, characterized by a heel that is completely
(or almost completely) filled in beneath the arch?
Wedge or wedgie. 4 for Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
5. What is the generic name for the shoe in picture 1, where the
salient feature is an open back and a strap behind the ankle?
Slingback.
Post by Mark Brader
6. The shoe in picture 14 might be called a court shoe in Britain,
though the late singer Amy Winehouse sang about a pair of
them using the more familiar North American name in a risqué
combination. They have a low front, relatively low heel,
and may have a buckle or bow.
Pumps. 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
7. A perforated leather men's shoe is a brogue. But what name is
given to the specific style of perforations in picture 3,
with a W-shaped design over the toe?
Wingtips. 4 for Dan Tilque and Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
8. What is the backless shoe in picture 11, a style which may or
may not be open at the toe?
Mule. 4 for Joshua.
Post by Mark Brader
9. What is the two-tone shoe in picture 5, wearable by any gender,
characterized by the plain toe and distinctive dark panel shape
over the mid-foot?
Saddle shoe. 4 for Dan Blum.
Post by Mark Brader
10. The shoes in 7 are characterized by a very low heel or the
absence of a heel.
Flats. 4 for Stephen.

And the others are: 4, bucks; 9, clogs; 10, hobnailed boots; 12, brogues.
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 1, Round 3 - Science - Organ Parts
For each question, we have an organ of the human body in mind;
we'll name a part of it; and you'll name the organ. For example,
if we said the cricoid cartilage, you'd name the larynx. We will
always speak in the singular, but some of these occur more than
once in the organ.
1. Nephron.
Kidney. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
2. Vitreous or vitreous humor.
Eye. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
3. Corpus cavernosum.
Penis or clitoris. 4 for Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
4. Stratum spinosum or squamous-cell layer.
Skin. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
5. Cochlea.
Ear. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Pete,
and Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
6. Phalanx.
Finger or toe. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Stephen (the hard way).
Post by Mark Brader
7. Alveolus.
Lungs. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
8. Duodenum.
Small intestine (both words required; "intestines" is not an organ).
4 for Dan Blum and Stephen. 3 for Joshua.
Post by Mark Brader
9. Occipital lobe.
Brain. 4 for everyone.
Post by Mark Brader
10. Islet of Langerhans.
Pancreas. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Mis Sci
Stephen Perry 28 40 68
Dan Blum 16 32 48
Joshua Kreitzer 12 35 47
Dan Tilque 12 28 40
Pete Gayde 0 8 8
--
Mark Brader "I like to think of [this] as self-explanatory."
Toronto "I hope *I* think of [it] that way."