QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: sausages and game-show hosts
Mark Brader
2023-07-04 23:28:59 UTC
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-06-05,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 4, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Sausages of the World

What did the Buddha say to the hot-dog vendor? "Make me one
with everything."

Unless otherwise stated, in each case name the relevant sausage.

1. In Polish this word refers to any kind of sausage, but in
North America it typically refers to a mild U-shaped pork
sausage. A 42-foot-tall version stands outside Mundare, Alberta.

2. The bulk of this Italian sausage is finely ground pork, but
its distinctive appearance is due to the cubes of hard pork
fat that make up 15% of its volume.

3. The Spanish version of this pork sausage is spiced with paprika.
The Mexican version is crumblier and much spicier and is an
ingredient in many Mexican dishes.

4. This sausage is originally from northern France, but a much
spicier evolution of has become a key part of Cajun cuisine.

5. In Germany this word refers to many different varieties of pork
sausage, but in the Midwestern US it refers to a fatty pork
sausage, usually grilled and served on a bun, popular at
sporting events.

6. In Toronto we have hot-dog carts. In Berlin the street vendors
will typically be selling <answer 5>s with a distinctive spicy
ketchup-based sauce, sold by this name.

7. Apparently the name comes from this sausage's tendency to burst
its casing during cooking. What are these British sausages
often paired with mashed potatoes?

8. If you order a Scottish breakfast you will find that the
traditional Lorne sausage is what unusual shape?

9. Probably for legal reasons, manufacturer ConAgra refers to this
snack food as "meat sticks" rather than sausages; but "Snap into
a Meat Stick" isn't a great slogan. What is this sausage-like
snack introduced in 1929?

10. The National Hot Dog and Sausage Council has answered "No";
John Hodgman and Merriam-Webster have answered "Yes". Asked for
a decision in 2018, Ruth Bader Ginsburg gave a nuanced judgement.
What is this much-debated question about hot dogs?

* Game 4, Round 6 - Entertainment - TV Game-Show Hosts

We name one or more game shows and give a range of dates for each.
You name the person who hosted that show during the period
indicated. Note that this is not generally not a complete list
of credits for each host.

1. "The Gong Show" (1976-80).
2. "Family Feud" (2010-present).
3. "Family Feud Canada" (2019-present).
4. "Rock and Roll Jeopardy!" (1998-2001).
5. "Only Connect" (on BBC4) (2008-present).
6. "Deal or No Deal" (2005-09 and 2018-19).

7. "Tic Tac Dough" (1978-85). Hint: His given name is Winston
but he is best known by his nickname.

8. "Headline Hunters" (1972-83), "Card Sharks" (1978-81), "Sale
of the Century" (1983-89), and "Definition" (1975-89).

9. "The Weakest Link" (airing on BBC2) (2000-12). Hint: on the
"Doctor Who" parody version of the show, the host was the
Anne Droid.

10. "Snatch Game" (2010-present). Note: This parody game show
within a reality competition has many international versions,
but we are looking for the original US host.
--
Mark Brader | "The right thinks the individual
Toronto | isn't important enough to make the decisions

Joshua Kreitzer
2023-07-04 23:41:28 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 4, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Sausages of the World
Unless otherwise stated, in each case name the relevant sausage.
1. In Polish this word refers to any kind of sausage, but in
North America it typically refers to a mild U-shaped pork
sausage. A 42-foot-tall version stands outside Mundare, Alberta.
kielbasa
Post by Mark Brader
3. The Spanish version of this pork sausage is spiced with paprika.
The Mexican version is crumblier and much spicier and is an
ingredient in many Mexican dishes.
chorizo
Post by Mark Brader
4. This sausage is originally from northern France, but a much
spicier evolution of has become a key part of Cajun cuisine.
andouille
Post by Mark Brader
5. In Germany this word refers to many different varieties of pork
sausage, but in the Midwestern US it refers to a fatty pork
sausage, usually grilled and served on a bun, popular at
sporting events.
bratwurst
Post by Mark Brader
6. In Toronto we have hot-dog carts. In Berlin the street vendors
will typically be selling <answer 5>s with a distinctive spicy
ketchup-based sauce, sold by this name.
knockwurst
Post by Mark Brader
7. Apparently the name comes from this sausage's tendency to burst
its casing during cooking. What are these British sausages
often paired with mashed potatoes?
bangers
Post by Mark Brader
9. Probably for legal reasons, manufacturer ConAgra refers to this
snack food as "meat sticks" rather than sausages; but "Snap into
a Meat Stick" isn't a great slogan. What is this sausage-like
snack introduced in 1929?
Slim Jim
Post by Mark Brader
10. The National Hot Dog and Sausage Council has answered "No";
John Hodgman and Merriam-Webster have answered "Yes". Asked for
a decision in 2018, Ruth Bader Ginsburg gave a nuanced judgement.
What is this much-debated question about hot dogs?
Is a hot dog a sandwich?
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 4, Round 6 - Entertainment - TV Game-Show Hosts
We name one or more game shows and give a range of dates for each.
You name the person who hosted that show during the period
indicated. Note that this is not generally not a complete list
of credits for each host.
1. "The Gong Show" (1976-80).
Chuck Barris
Post by Mark Brader
2. "Family Feud" (2010-present).
Steve Harvey
Post by Mark Brader
4. "Rock and Roll Jeopardy!" (1998-2001).
Jeff Probst
Post by Mark Brader
6. "Deal or No Deal" (2005-09 and 2018-19).
Howie Mandel
Post by Mark Brader
7. "Tic Tac Dough" (1978-85). Hint: His given name is Winston
but he is best known by his nickname.
Wink Martindale
Post by Mark Brader
8. "Headline Hunters" (1972-83), "Card Sharks" (1978-81), "Sale
of the Century" (1983-89), and "Definition" (1975-89).
Jim Perry

--
Joshua Kreitzer
***@hotmail.com
Dan Tilque
Dan Tilque
Erland Sommarskog
Bratwurst
Dan Blum
2023-07-05 21:47:28 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
6. In Toronto we have hot-dog carts. In Berlin the street vendors
will typically be selling <answer 5>s with a distinctive spicy
ketchup-based sauce, sold by this name.
currywurst
Post by Mark Brader
8. If you order a Scottish breakfast you will find that the
traditional Lorne sausage is what unusual shape?
square; circle
Post by Mark Brader
10. The National Hot Dog and Sausage Council has answered "No";
John Hodgman and Merriam-Webster have answered "Yes". Asked for
a decision in 2018, Ruth Bader Ginsburg gave a nuanced judgement.
What is this much-debated question about hot dogs?
is a hot dog a sandwich?
Dan Blum ***@panix.com
Mark Brader
2023-07-08 04:21:53 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-06-05,
and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information
please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
* Game 4, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Sausages of the World
What did the Buddha say to the hot-dog vendor? "Make me one
with everything."
Unless otherwise stated, in each case name the relevant sausage.
1. In Polish this word refers to any kind of sausage, but in
North America it typically refers to a mild U-shaped pork
sausage. A 42-foot-tall version stands outside Mundare, Alberta.
Kielbasa (or kubasa, kubie, etc.). 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque,
and Dan Blum.
Post by Mark Brader
2. The bulk of this Italian sausage is finely ground pork, but
its distinctive appearance is due to the cubes of hard pork
fat that make up 15% of its volume.
Mortadella.
Post by Mark Brader
3. The Spanish version of this pork sausage is spiced with paprika.
The Mexican version is crumblier and much spicier and is an
ingredient in many Mexican dishes.
Chorizo. 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Dan Blum.
Post by Mark Brader
4. This sausage is originally from northern France, but a much
spicier evolution of [it] has become a key part of Cajun cuisine.
Andouille. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.
Post by Mark Brader
5. In Germany this word refers to many different varieties of pork
sausage, but in the Midwestern US it refers to a fatty pork
sausage, usually grilled and served on a bun, popular at
sporting events.
Bratwurst (accepting brat). 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Tilque,
Erland, and Dan Blum.
Post by Mark Brader
6. In Toronto we have hot-dog carts. In Berlin the street vendors
will typically be selling <answer 5>s with a distinctive spicy
ketchup-based sauce, sold by this name.
Currywurst. 4 for Dan Blum.
Post by Mark Brader
7. Apparently the name comes from this sausage's tendency to burst
its casing during cooking. What are these British sausages
often paired with mashed potatoes?
Bangers. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.
Post by Mark Brader
8. If you order a Scottish breakfast you will find that the
traditional Lorne sausage is what unusual shape?
Square. 3 for Dan Blum.
Post by Mark Brader
9. Probably for legal reasons, manufacturer ConAgra refers to this
snack food as "meat sticks" rather than sausages; but "Snap into
a Meat Stick" isn't a great slogan. What is this sausage-like
snack introduced in 1929?
Slim Jim. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.
Post by Mark Brader
10. The National Hot Dog and Sausage Council has answered "No";
John Hodgman and Merriam-Webster have answered "Yes". Asked for
a decision in 2018, Ruth Bader Ginsburg gave a nuanced judgement.
What is this much-debated question about hot-dogs?
"Is a hot dog a sandwich?" 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 4, Round 6 - Entertainment - TV Game-Show Hosts
We name one or more game shows and give a range of dates for each.
You name the person who hosted that show during the period
indicated. Note that this is not generally not a complete list
of credits for each host.
1. "The Gong Show" (1976-80).
Chuck Barris. 4 for Joshua.
Post by Mark Brader
2. "Family Feud" (2010-present).
Steve Harvey. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.
Post by Mark Brader
3. "Family Feud Canada" (2019-present).
Gerry Dee.
Post by Mark Brader
4. "Rock and Roll Jeopardy!" (1998-2001).
Jeff Probst. 4 for Joshua.
Post by Mark Brader
5. "Only Connect" (on BBC4) (2008-present).
Victoria Coren (Mitchell).
Post by Mark Brader
6. "Deal or No Deal" (2005-09 and 2018-19).
Howie Mandel. 4 for Joshua.
Post by Mark Brader
7. "Tic Tac Dough" (1978-85). Hint: His given name is Winston
but he is best known by his nickname.
Wink Martindale. 4 for Joshua.

Fun Fact: He created "Bumper Stumpers".
Post by Mark Brader
8. "Headline Hunters" (1972-83), "Card Sharks" (1978-81), "Sale
of the Century" (1983-89), and "Definition" (1975-89).
Jim Perry. 4 for Joshua.
Post by Mark Brader
9. "The Weakest Link" (airing on BBC2) (2000-12). Hint: on the
"Doctor Who" parody version of the show, the host was the
Anne Droid.
Anne Robinson.
Post by Mark Brader
10. "Snatch Game" (2010-present). Note: This parody game show
within a reality competition has many international versions,
but we are looking for the original US host.
RuPaul Charles. (RuPaul was sufficient.)

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 4 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Can Geo Mis Ent
Joshua Kreitzer 11 27 28 24 90
Dan Blum 3 31 35 4 73
Stephen Perry 23 40 -- -- 63
Dan Tilque 0 28 8 0 36
Erland Sommarskog 0 20 8 0 28
--
Mark Brader | It is easy to run a secure computer system. You
Toronto | merely have to disconnect all dial-up connections,