QFTCIMM24 Current Events Games 3-4
Mark Brader
2024-03-02 01:32:49 UTC
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
indicated, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers
have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to give
the answers that were correct on that date.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation
of current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

* Game 3 (2024-02-12), Round 1 - Current Events

1. Venues have been announced for the 104 matches of the 2026 FIFA
World Cup. Which city will host the majority of those games
played in Canada?

2. "It was a crappy piece of land with nothing on it." This
description of the territory that became Israel forced Selina
Robinson to resign from what body?

3. Medals awarded at the Paris Olympics will include iron from
what surprising source?

4. The army is widely suspected of rigging this week's election
in favor of Nawaz Sharif -- in which country?

5. Which Raptor will replace injured Joel Embiid of the 76ers in
the NBA All-Star Game?

6. In other Raptor news, just before the trade deadline the Toronto
team acquired a Canadian player from the Utah Jazz. Name him.

7. He conducted the Toronto Symphony Orchestra from 1965 to 1969 --
and died this week at the age of 88. Name please.

8. "Puberty blockers for minors? I think we should protect children
and their ability to make adult decisions when they're adults."
Who said this last Wednesday?

9. Second thoughts A: *What ban* -- affecting 45 city parks --
did Toronto councillors vote 21-3 to repeal last week?

10. Second thoughts B: *Which insurance company* reversed the new
policy that would have had it cover specialty drugs obtained
only from Loblaws-owned pharmacies?

* Game 4 (2024-02-26), Round 1 - Current Events

1. What movie won the BAFTA for best film?

2. What newest piece of golden MAGA merchandise did Trump launch
last week?

3. Capital One announced it will acquire what credit card brand
in a $35,300,000,000 US deal?

4. Canada announced it will send 800 SkyRanger R70 drones worth
$96,000,000 to Ukraine. These will be made in what Ontario city?

5. What Toronto landmark celebrated its 25th anniversary this week?

6. A privately built robotic spacecraft became the first American
vehicle to land on the moon since 1972. What is its name?

7. The National Ballet of Canada announced the retirement of which
principal dancer when it unveiled next season's program?

8. What food retailer is closing its Yorkville location after
20 years?

9. The Woodbridge branch of the Royal Canadian Legion has been
shut down by the national body for an unusual reason.
What is it?

10. The Supreme Court of *which US state* ruled last week that
a frozen embryo should be considered a child?
--
Mark Brader | I passed a sign that said "you are here",
Toronto | but I didn't entirely believe it.

Joshua Kreitzer
2024-03-02 03:30:01 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 3 (2024-02-12), Round 1 - Current Events
1. Venues have been announced for the 104 matches of the 2026 FIFA
World Cup. Which city will host the majority of those games
played in Canada?
Toronto; Montreal
Post by Mark Brader
4. The army is widely suspected of rigging this week's election
in favor of Nawaz Sharif -- in which country?
Pakistan
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 4 (2024-02-26), Round 1 - Current Events
1. What movie won the BAFTA for best film?
"Oppenheimer"
Post by Mark Brader
3. Capital One announced it will acquire what credit card brand
in a $35,300,000,000 US deal?
Discover
Post by Mark Brader
10. The Supreme Court of *which US state* ruled last week that
a frozen embryo should be considered a child?
Arkansas

--
Joshua Kreitzer
***@hotmail.com
Dan Blum
2024-03-02 15:32:15 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 4 (2024-02-26), Round 1 - Current Events
1. What movie won the BAFTA for best film?
Post by Mark Brader
10. The Supreme Court of *which US state* ruled last week that
a frozen embryo should be considered a child?
Alabama
Dan Blum ***@panix.com
Erland Sommarskog
Alabama - seems like both wheels are in the ditch now.
Dan Tilque
2024-03-04 01:25:53 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 3 (2024-02-12), Round 1 - Current Events
1. Venues have been announced for the 104 matches of the 2026 FIFA
World Cup. Which city will host the majority of those games
played in Canada?
2. "It was a crappy piece of land with nothing on it." This
description of the territory that became Israel forced Selina
Robinson to resign from what body?
3. Medals awarded at the Paris Olympics will include iron from
what surprising source?
Eiffel Tower
Post by Mark Brader
[...]
shoes
Post by Mark Brader
4. Canada announced it will send 800 SkyRanger R70 drones worth
$96,000,000 to Ukraine. These will be made in what Ontario city?
5. What Toronto landmark celebrated its 25th anniversary this week?
6. A privately built robotic spacecraft became the first American
vehicle to land on the moon since 1972. What is its name?
Odysseus
Dan Tilque
Pete Gayde
2024-03-04 04:01:26 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
[...]
Montreal; Toronto
Post by Mark Brader
5. Which Raptor will replace injured Joel Embiid of the 76ers in
the NBA All-Star Game?
6. In other Raptor news, just before the trade deadline the Toronto
team acquired a Canadian player from the Utah Jazz. Name him.
7. He conducted the Toronto Symphony Orchestra from 1965 to 1969 --
and died this week at the age of 88. Name please.
Seiji Ozawa
Post by Mark Brader
2. What newest piece of golden MAGA merchandise did Trump launch
last week?
Basketball shoes
Post by Mark Brader
4. Canada announced it will send 800 SkyRanger R70 drones worth
$96,000,000 to Ukraine. These will be made in what Ontario city?
Edmonton; Vancouver
Post by Mark Brader
5. What Toronto landmark celebrated its 25th anniversary this week?
CN Tower
Post by Mark Brader
6. A privately built robotic spacecraft became the first American
vehicle to land on the moon since 1972. What is its name?
Odyssey
Pete Gayde
Mark Brader
2024-03-04 23:43:29 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
indicated, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers
have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to give the
answers that were correct on that date... For further information
please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
* Game 3 (2024-02-12), Round 1 - Current Events
1. Venues have been announced for the 104 matches of the 2026 FIFA
World Cup. Which city will host the majority of those games
played in Canada?
Vancouver.
Post by Mark Brader
2. "It was a crappy piece of land with nothing on it." This
description of the territory that became Israel forced Selina
Robinson to resign from what body?
The BC provincial cabinet.
Post by Mark Brader
3. Medals awarded at the Paris Olympics will include iron from
what surprising source?
The Eiffel Tower. 4 for Dan Tilque and Pete.
Post by Mark Brader
4. The army is widely suspected of rigging this week's election
in favor of Nawaz Sharif -- in which country?
Pakistan. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Blum, Erland, Dan Tilque,
and Pete.
Post by Mark Brader
5. Which Raptor will replace injured Joel Embiid of the 76ers in
the NBA All-Star Game?
Scottie Barnes.
Post by Mark Brader
6. In other Raptor news, just before the trade deadline the Toronto
team acquired a Canadian player from the Utah Jazz. Name him.
Kelly Olynyk.
Post by Mark Brader
7. He conducted the Toronto Symphony Orchestra from 1965 to 1969 --
and died this week at the age of 88. Name please.
Seiji Ozawa. 4 for Pete.
Post by Mark Brader
8. "Puberty blockers for minors? I think we should protect children
and their ability to make adult decisions when they're adults."
Who said this last Wednesday?
Pierre Poilièvre.
Post by Mark Brader
9. Second thoughts A: *What ban* -- affecting 45 city parks --
did Toronto councillors vote 21-3 to repeal last week?
On tobogganing.
Post by Mark Brader
10. Second thoughts B: *Which insurance company* reversed the new
policy that would have had it cover specialty drugs obtained
only from Loblaws-owned pharmacies?
Manulife.
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 4 (2024-02-26), Round 1 - Current Events
1. What movie won the BAFTA for best film?
"Oppenheimer". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.
Post by Mark Brader
2. What newest piece of golden MAGA merchandise did Trump launch
last week?
"Never Surrender High-Tops" sneakers -- costing almost $400 US.
4 for Erland, Dan Tilque, and Pete.
Post by Mark Brader
3. Capital One announced it will acquire what credit card brand
in a $35,300,000,000 US deal?
Discover. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.
Post by Mark Brader
4. Canada announced it will send 800 SkyRanger R70 drones worth
$96,000,000 to Ukraine. These will be made in what Ontario city?
Waterloo.
Post by Mark Brader
5. What Toronto landmark celebrated its 25th anniversary this week?
Scotiabank Arena, formerly the Air Canada Centre (accepting either).
Post by Mark Brader
6. A privately built robotic spacecraft became the first American
vehicle to land on the moon since 1972. What is its name?
Odysseus. 4 for Dan Tilque. 3 for Pete.
Post by Mark Brader
7. The National Ballet of Canada announced the retirement of which
principal dancer when it unveiled next season's program?
Guillaume Côté.
Post by Mark Brader
8. What food retailer is closing its Yorkville location after
20 years?
Pusateri's.
Post by Mark Brader
9. The Woodbridge branch of the Royal Canadian Legion has been
shut down by the national body for an unusual reason.
What is it?
It was infiltrated by outlaw motorcycle gang members.
Post by Mark Brader
10. The Supreme Court of *which US state* ruled last week that
a frozen embryo should be considered a child?
Alabama. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAMES-> 1 2 3 4 TOTALS
Stephen Perry 39 40 -- -- 79
Pete Gayde 15 16 12 19 62
Joshua Kreitzer 15 20 4 8 47
Dan Blum 8 16 4 12 40
Erland Sommarskog 8 12 4 8 32
Dan Tilque -- -- 8 16 24
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | Actor sent to jail for not finishing sentence
***@vex.net | --Knoxville, TN, News-Sentinel, 1989-01-21