Rotating Quiz #77: pre-emptive strike!
swp
2012-10-12 19:54:18 UTC
ok, I made another rotating quiz waiting on the (official) results of rq #76. the usual rules apply. 1 point per answer. highest score gets to set the next rq.

inventors
1. who invented the rubber band?
2. who invented the telegraph?
3. who invented the paper clip as we know it today?

politics
4. who is the prime minister of india?
5. who is the prime minister of israel?
6. who is the president of the republic of ireland?

art / art history
7. of the top 47 highest prices paid for paintings, Vincent Van Gogh ranks 2nd with 7. who is first with 10?
8. name any of the other artists on the list with more than 1 painting.
9. the 'Mona Lisa' is the most famous painting of all time. what's the 2nd most famous one? (I'll be lenient if sufficient evidence is given contrary to what I believe is the correct answer)

music
10. who is the most successful group ever to take part in the eurovision song contest, winning in 1974?
11. by what name is david robert jones better known?
12. who had a hit in 1982 with the song 'down under'?

science & technology
13. what disease is characterized as a disorder of neural development characterized by impaired social interaction and communication, and by restricted and repetitive behavior?
14. what company sent up a commercial rocket to resupply the international space station on october 7th?
15. name either person who won the nobel prize in physics for 2012? (note: the higgs boson work by the people at cern using the large hadron collider didn't get it)

swp
Mark Brader
2012-10-12 20:13:08 UTC
Post by swp
1. who invented the rubber band?
Edison?
Post by swp
2. who invented the telegraph?
Morse is commonly credited, but I believe he was preceded by Henry.
Post by swp
3. who invented the paper clip as we know it today?
Edison? I don't think so, but hey.
Post by swp
5. who is the prime minister of israel?
Well, Netanyahu is the most recent one I can remember.
Post by swp
7. of the top 47 highest prices paid for paintings, Vincent Van Gogh
ranks 2nd with 7. who is first with 10?
Picasso?
Post by swp
8. name any of the other artists on the list with more than 1 painting.
Rembrandt?
Post by swp
9. the 'Mona Lisa' is the most famous painting of all time. what's the
2nd most famous one? (I'll be lenient if sufficient evidence is given
contrary to what I believe is the correct answer)
"American Gothic"? "Whistler's Mother"? "The Last Supper"?
Post by swp
10. who is the most successful group ever to take part in the eurovision
song contest, winning in 1974?
ABBA.
Post by swp
12. who had a hit in 1982 with the song 'down under'?
Men Without Hats.
Post by swp
13. what disease is characterized as a disorder of neural development
characterized by impaired social interaction and communication, and by
restricted and repetitive behavior?
Autism.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Domine, defende nos
***@vex.net | Contra hos motores bos!" -- A. D. Godley

Mark Brader
2012-10-14 05:13:04 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
Post by swp
12. who had a hit in 1982 with the song 'down under'?
Men Without Hats.
The annoying thing about this is, this came up on "Jeopardy!" on
Wednesday, but I didn't get around to watching the episode until
the weekend.

To be exact, it was in a before-and-after category. They asked:

TV DRAMA SET AT AN ADVERTISING AGENCY THAT HAD
THE NO. 1 HITS "DOWN UNDER" AND "WHO CAN IT BE NOW?"

with the expected answer "Who are Mad Men at Work?"
--
Mark Brader | But I think we can do better next time. (Where the
Toronto | word "we" refers to [those] who do the hard work while

Chris F.A. Johnson
2012-10-18 16:53:44 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
Post by Mark Brader
Post by swp
12. who had a hit in 1982 with the song 'down under'?
Men Without Hats.
The annoying thing about this is, this came up on "Jeopardy!" on
Wednesday, but I didn't get around to watching the episode until
the weekend.
TV DRAMA SET AT AN ADVERTISING AGENCY THAT HAD
THE NO. 1 HITS "DOWN UNDER" AND "WHO CAN IT BE NOW?"
with the expected answer "Who are Mad Men at Work?"
And it appears in an article I just read on "The slow spread of Vegemite"
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19908368>
--
Chris F.A. Johnson <http://cfajohnson.com>
Author: =======================
Calvin
2012-10-18 22:04:33 UTC
Post by Chris F.A. Johnson
And it appears in an article I just read on "The slow spread of Vegemite"
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19908368>
Interesting article- thanks for the link.

I see that the average Australia eats one jar of vegemite per year. A jar last about three weeks at chez calvin!

cheers,
calvin
Marc Dashevsky
2012-10-12 22:10:28 UTC
In article <7e188765-cb5c-42b9-8305-***@googlegroups.com>, ***@gmail.com
says...
Post by swp
ok, I made another rotating quiz waiting on the (official) results of rq #76. the usual rules apply. 1 point per answer. highest score gets to set the next rq.
inventors
1. who invented the rubber band?
2. who invented the telegraph?
Samuel Morse
Post by swp
3. who invented the paper clip as we know it today?
politics
4. who is the prime minister of india?
5. who is the prime minister of israel?
Netanyahu
Post by swp
6. who is the president of the republic of ireland?
art / art history
7. of the top 47 highest prices paid for paintings, Vincent Van Gogh ranks 2nd with 7. who is first with 10?
8. name any of the other artists on the list with more than 1 painting.
Warhol
Post by swp
9. the 'Mona Lisa' is the most famous painting of all time. what's the 2nd most famous one? (I'll be lenient if sufficient evidence is given contrary to what I believe is the correct answer)
Dogs Playing Poker
Post by swp
music
10. who is the most successful group ever to take part in the eurovision song contest, winning in 1974?
ABBA
Post by swp
11. by what name is david robert jones better known?
David Bowie
Post by swp
12. who had a hit in 1982 with the song 'down under'?
Men At Work
Post by swp
science & technology
13. what disease is characterized as a disorder of neural development characterized by impaired social interaction and communication, and by restricted and repetitive behavior?
autism
swp
Erland Sommarskog
2012-10-12 22:12:21 UTC
Post by swp
4. who is the prime minister of india?
Rao
Post by swp
5. who is the prime minister of israel?
Benjamin Netanyahu
Post by swp
6. who is the president of the republic of ireland?
Mary McAlister
Post by swp
7. of the top 47 highest prices paid for paintings, Vincent Van Gogh
ranks 2nd with 7. who is first with 10?
Renoir
Post by swp
8. name any of the other artists on the list with more than 1 painting.
Salvador Dali
Post by swp
9. the 'Mona Lisa' is the most famous painting of all time. what's the
2nd most famous one? (I'll be lenient if sufficient evidence is given
contrary to what I believe is the correct answer)
Edvard Munch's "Skriet" ("The cry" in English)
Post by swp
11. by what name is david robert jones better known?
Robert Plant
Post by swp
12. who had a hit in 1982 with the song 'down under'?
Men at Work
Post by swp
13. what disease is characterized as a disorder of neural development
characterized by impaired social interaction and communication, and by
restricted and repetitive behavior?
Autism
Post by swp
14. what company sent up a commercial rocket to resupply the
international space station on october 7th?
Virgin
Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, ***@sommarskog.se
Mark Brader
2012-10-12 22:34:29 UTC
Post by Erland Sommarskog
Edvard Munch's "Skriet" ("The cry" in English)
Would you believe "The Scream"?
Mark Brader, Toronto, ***@vex.net | "Well, *somebody* had to say it."
Chris F.A. Johnson
2012-10-12 22:50:39 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
Post by Erland Sommarskog
Edvard Munch's "Skriet" ("The cry" in English)
Would you believe "The Scream"?
Translating is as "The Scream" is recent. When I studied art (in the 1960s),
it was always called "The Cry".
--
Chris F.A. Johnson <http://cfajohnson.com>
Author: =======================
Mark Brader
2012-10-13 00:15:49 UTC
Post by Chris F.A. Johnson
Post by Mark Brader
Would you believe "The Scream"?
Translating is as "The Scream" is recent. When I studied art (in the 1960s),
it was always called "The Cry".
Huh! I believe I was first aware of it in the 1970s and I never heard
of any other title. Not that I pay a lot of attention to art.
--
Mark Brader | "Grammar am for people who can't think for *myself*.
Toronto | Understanded me?"
***@vex.net | -- Buck (Get Fuzzy: Darby Conley)
John Masters
2012-10-13 08:38:22 UTC
Post by swp
ok, I made another rotating quiz waiting on the (official) results of
rq #76. the usual rules apply. 1 point per answer. highest score
gets to set the next rq.
inventors
1. who invented the rubber band?
2. who invented the telegraph?
Morse
Post by swp
3. who invented the paper clip as we know it today?
politics
4. who is the prime minister of india?
5. who is the prime minister of israel?
Netenyahoo (sp)
Post by swp
6. who is the president of the republic of ireland?
art / art history
7. of the top 47 highest prices paid for paintings, Vincent Van Gogh
ranks 2nd with 7. who is first with 10?
Picasso
Post by swp
8. name any of the other artists on the list with more than 1 painting.
Jackson Pollock
Post by swp
9. the 'Mona Lisa' is the most famous painting of all time. what's
the 2nd most famous one? (I'll be lenient if sufficient evidence is
given contrary to what I believe is the correct answer)
The Scream
Post by swp
music
10. who is the most successful group ever to take part in the
eurovision song contest, winning in 1974?
Abba
Post by swp
14. what company sent up a commercial rocket to resupply the
international space station on october 7th?
15. name either person who won the nobel prize in physics for 2012?
(note: the higgs boson work by the people at cern using the large
hadron collider didn't get it)
swp
--
John Masters

Of those who say nothing, few are silent.
- Thomas Neill
Pete
2012-10-13 22:21:50 UTC
Post by swp
3. who invented the paper clip as we know it today?
politics
4. who is the prime minister of india?
Singh
Post by swp
8. name any of the other artists on the list with more than 1
painting.
Monet
Post by swp
9. the 'Mona Lisa' is the most famous painting of all time. what's
the 2nd most famous one? (I'll be lenient if sufficient evidence is
given contrary to what I believe is the correct answer)
Da Vinci's Last Supper
Post by swp
science & technology
13. what disease is characterized as a disorder of neural development
characterized by impaired social interaction and communication, and by
restricted and repetitive behavior?
Asperger's syndrome
Pete
Dan Tilque
2012-10-14 01:12:39 UTC
Post by swp
9. the 'Mona Lisa' is the most famous painting of all time. what's the 2nd most famous one? (I'll be lenient if sufficient evidence is given contrary to what I believe is the correct answer)
The Last Supper (also by da Vinci) (not sure how you can quantify fame.
If you go by number of parodies, then American Gothic would probably be #2)
Post by swp
11. by what name is david robert jones better known?
Keith Moon
Post by swp
14. what company sent up a commercial rocket to resupply the international space station on october 7th?
SpaceX
Post by swp
15. name either person who won the nobel prize in physics for 2012? (note: the higgs boson work by the people at cern using the large hadron collider didn't get it)
don't know the answer, but it's way too soon for the Higgs work to get a
prize. It has to be confirmed, for one thing.
--
Dan Tilque

Human history becomes more and more a race between education and
catastrophe.
-- H G Wells
Calvin
2012-10-14 22:09:39 UTC
Post by swp
inventors
1. who invented the rubber band?
Andy Warhol
Post by swp
2. who invented the telegraph?
Fidel Castro
Post by swp
3. who invented the paper clip as we know it today?
Roger Clip
It's a clip, Jim, but not as we know it.
Post by swp
5. who is the prime minister of israel?
Shimir
Post by swp
8. name any of the other artists on the list with more than 1 painting.
Cezanne
Post by swp
9. the 'Mona Lisa' is the most famous painting of all time. what's the 2nd most famous one? (I'll be lenient if sufficient evidence is given contrary to what I believe is the correct answer)
I want it to be dogs playing poker, but I'll go with the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.
Post by swp
14. what company sent up a commercial rocket to resupply the international space station on october 7th?
Virgin?
Post by swp
15. name either person who won the nobel prize in physics for 2012? (note: the higgs boson work by the people at cern using the large hadron collider didn't get it)
Johnson

cheers,
calvin
Joachim Parsch
2012-10-15 05:59:46 UTC
Post by swp
ok, I made another rotating quiz waiting on the (official)
results of rq #76. the usual rules apply. 1 point per answer.
highest score gets to set the next rq.
inventors
1. who invented the rubber band?
2. who invented the telegraph?
Morse.
Post by swp
3. who invented the paper clip as we know it today?
politics
4. who is the prime minister of india?
5. who is the prime minister of israel?
Netanjahu.
Post by swp
6. who is the president of the republic of ireland?
Higgins
Post by swp
8. name any of the other artists on the list with more than 1 painting.
Rembrandt
Post by swp
9. the 'Mona Lisa' is the most famous painting of all
time. what's the 2nd most famous one? (I'll be lenient if
sufficient evidence is given contrary to what I believe is
the correct answer)
The last supper
Post by swp
11. by what name is david robert jones better known?
12. who had a hit in 1982 with the song 'down under'?
Men at Work.
Post by swp
science & technology
13. what disease is characterized as a disorder of neural
development characterized by impaired social interaction and
communication, and by restricted and repetitive behavior?
Autism?
Post by swp
14. what company sent up a commercial rocket to resupply
the international space station on october 7th?
ACME?
Post by swp
15. name either person who won the nobel prize in physics for
2012? (note: the higgs boson work by the people at cern using
the large hadron collider didn't get it)
Some guys experimenting on quantum level.

Joachim
Dan Tilque
2012-10-15 08:43:48 UTC
Post by swp
14. what company sent up a commercial rocket to resupply
the international space station on october 7th?
ACME?
Any rocket made by the ACME Corporation will inevitably go off-course
and crash on the exact spot occupied by a certain coyote...

-- H G Wells
Joachim Parsch
2012-10-15 08:21:21 UTC
Post by Dan Tilque
Post by swp
14. what company sent up a commercial rocket to resupply
the international space station on october 7th?
ACME?
Any rocket made by the ACME Corporation will inevitably go off-course
and crash on the exact spot occupied by a certain coyote...
They should have sent that coyote to ISS first.

Joachim
swp
2012-10-18 01:38:04 UTC
Post by swp
ok, I made another rotating quiz waiting on the (official)
results of rq #76. the usual rules apply. 1 point per answer.
highest score gets to set the next rq.
by capricious whim, I select Joachim as the winner! congratulations young man! your knowledge of international politics for countries starting with 'i' has served you well. RQ78 is yours to do with as you please.

the scores, if there are no errors below:

name 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 total
---------- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -----
Mark B. 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 + 1 0 0 5+
Marc D. 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 - 1 1 1 1 0 0 7-
Erland 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 5
John M. 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 7
Pete 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 6
Dan T. 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 1 - 1 1 1 0 7-
Calvin 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 6
Joachim 0 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 7+
---------- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -----
totals 0 7 0 2 7 1 5 2 0 8 3 7+ 7 1 0 43

inventors

1. who invented the rubber band?
stephen perry
(the rubber band was patented in england on march 17, 1845 by stephen perry. another person claimed to do it as well, in 1923.)

2. who invented the telegraph?
samuel f.b. morse
(this was not the first person to try, he was the first to succeed.)

3. who invented the paper clip as we know it today?
william middlebrook

politics

4. who is the prime minister of india?
manmohan singh

5. who is the prime minister of israel?
benjamin netanyahu

6. who is the president of the republic of ireland?
michael d. higgins

art / art history

7. of the top 47 highest prices paid for paintings, Vincent Van Gogh ranks 2nd with 7. who is first with 10?
pablo picasso

8. name any of the other artists on the list with more than 1 painting.
andy warhol (4),
gustav klimt 2),
mark rothko (2),
paul cézanne (2),
titian (2),
willem de kooning (2)

(many other paintings are considered more valuable, even priceless, but they are housed in museums all over the world and will never be sold. a recent theft of some was estimated by the insurance company at $100 million, but for that kind of money they will be caught eventually.)

9. the 'Mona Lisa' is the most famous painting of all time. what's the 2nd most famous one?
'The Starry Night' by Dutch artist (and friend of the Doctor) Vincent van Gogh

(I thought it was 'the last supper' by leonardo da vinci or perhaps even the ceiling of the sistine chapel.)

(the official list of most famous paintings from 1 to 10:
mona lisa
starry night
the last supper
the creation of adam (sistine chapel ceiling)
guernica
girl with a pearl earring (coincidence with the qftci)
the scream
night watch
water lilies
birth of venus)

music

10. who is the most successful group ever to take part in the eurovision song contest, winning in 1974?

abba
(and still as popular as ever I see)

11. by what name is david robert jones better known?
david bowie
(him, not so much)(sorry ziggy)

12. who had a hit in 1982 with the song 'down under'?
men at work
(thanks for the laugh, Mark)

science & technology

13. what disease is characterized as a disorder of neural development characterized by impaired social interaction and communication, and by restricted and repetitive behavior?

autism

learn more at http://www.autismspeaks.org/

(my son is autistic, this was for him)

14. what company sent up a commercial rocket to resupply the international
space station on october 7th?
spacex
(not to be confused with virgin space)(but good on these folks for starting to make this happen commercially)

15. name either person who won the nobel prize in physics for 2012? (note: the higgs boson work by the people at cern using the large hadron collider didn't get it)
french physicist 'serge haroche' and american physicist 'david wineland' for their pioneering work in quantum optics — the study of the fundamental interaction between light and matter.

swp, who is still not over this cold. obviously.

notes on art prices (subnote: some are in museums and considered priceless)
Original
price
($MM) Year Artist Painting
$250 1893 Paul Cézanne The Card Players
$140 1948 Jackson Pollock No. 5, 1948
$137.50 1953 Willem de Kooning Woman III
$135 1907 Gustav Klimt Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer I
$82.50 1890 Vincent van Gogh Portrait of Dr. Gachet
$78.10 1876 Pierre-Auguste Renoir Bal du moulin de la Galette
$104.20 1905 Pablo Picasso Garçon à la pipe
$119.90 1895 Edvard Munch The Scream
$106.50 1932 Pablo Picasso Nude, Green Leaves and Bust
$58 1889 Vincent van Gogh Portrait of Joseph Roulin
$95.20 1941 Pablo Picasso Dora Maar au Chat
$53.90 1889 Vincent van Gogh Irises
$100.00 1963 Andy Warhol Eight Elvises
$87.90 1912 Gustav Klimt Adele Bloch-Bauer II
$71.50 1889 Vincent van Gogh Portrait de l'artiste sans barbe
$76.70 1611 Peter Paul Rubens Massacre of the Innocents
$86.30 1976 Francis Bacon Triptych, 1976
$80.00 1959 Jasper Johns False Start[note 10]
$57 1889 Vincent van Gogh A Wheatfield with Cypresses
$49.30 1905 Pablo Picasso Les Noces de Pierrette
$47.85 1901 Pablo Picasso Yo, Picasso
$80.00 1964 Andy Warhol Turquoise Marilyn
$70.00 1533 Titian Portrait of Alfonso d'Avalos, Marquis of Vasto, in Armor with a Page
$86.90 1961 Mark Rothko Orange, Red, Yellow
$80.50 1919 Claude Monet Le Bassin aux Nymphéas
$60.50 1894 Paul Cézanne Rideau, Cruchon et Compotier[note 12]
$39.70 1888 Vincent van Gogh Vase with Fifteen Sunflowers
$72.80 1950 Mark Rothko White Center (Yellow, Pink and Lavender on Rose)
$71.70 1963 Andy Warhol Green Car Crash (Green Burning Car I)
$70.60 1559 Titian Diana and Actaeon
$75 1526 Hans Holbein Darmstadt Madonna
$68 1875 Thomas Eakins The Gross Clinic
$40.70 1904 Pablo Picasso Au Lapin Agile
$38.50 1905 Pablo Picasso Acrobate et jeune arlequin[35]
$55.00 1902 Pablo Picasso Femme aux Bras Croisés
$69.00 1917 Amedeo Modigliani Nude Sitting on a Divan ("La Belle Romaine")
$63.50 1955 Willem de Kooning Police Gazette [8]
$48.40 1932 Pablo Picasso Le Rêve[note 15]
$47.50 1890 Vincent van Gogh Peasant Woman Against a Background of Wheat
$49.60 1938 Pablo Picasso Femme assise dans un jardin
$65.50 1946 Qi Baishi Eagle Standing on Pine Tree[43]
$63.40 1962 Andy Warhol Men in Her Life
$35.20 1537 Pontormo Portrait of a Halberdier
$60.00 1916 Kazimir Malevich Suprematist Composition
$62.10 1350 Wang Meng Zhichuan Resettlement[47]
$61.70 1949 Clyfford Still 1949-A-No.1
swp
2012-10-18 01:40:11 UTC
Post by swp
1. who invented the rubber band?
stephen perry
(the rubber band was patented in england on march 17, 1845 by stephen perry. another person claimed to do it as well, in 1923.)
and yes, I did try once again to include a very easy question to lead off. I thought at least one of you would have guessed my name. next time it's back to elements with the same atomic number as the rq.

swp
Mark Brader
2012-10-18 03:31:53 UTC
(the official list of most famous paintings from 1 to 10...)
What officer is this?
--
Mark Brader | "In the USA politicians run for office. In Britain they
Toronto | stand for office. Of course... once elected... [they]
***@vex.net | neither run nor stand, they lie." --John Cletheroe
swp
2012-10-18 04:28:18 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
(the official list of most famous paintings from 1 to 10...)
What officer is this?
from a random source on the internet that agreed with what I recall from my high school humanities class. as I stated from the beginning, if anyone provided any evidence with their entry as to something different from what I have, then I would have taken that. but no one did.

swp
Mark Brader
2012-10-18 04:46:43 UTC
Post by swp
from a random source on the internet that agreed with what I recall from
my high school humanities class. as I stated from the beginning, if
anyone provided any evidence with their entry as to something different
from what I have, then I would have taken that. but no one did.
No, you didn't. You said

| if sufficient evidence is given contrary to what I believe
| is the correct answer

Obviously this is not possible until after your random answer is revealed.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Logic is logic. That's all I say."
***@vex.net -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Mark Brader
2012-10-18 05:43:25 UTC
Post by swp
if sufficient evidence is given contrary to what I believe
is the correct answer
The obvious start was a Google phrase search on

"second most famous painting"

On the first 2 pages of 10 hits each, there were 7 that said it was
"The Scream" (Munch), but that'll be exaggerated because it's been in
the news recently and all the pages are reports of the same news story
or refer to it. 6 of these are:

* http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/opinon/2012/10/209_116283.html
* http://dohanews.co/post/22309800122/scream-goes-for-record-120-million-did-qatar-buy
* http://viola.bz/tag/second-most-famous-painting-ever/
* http://newsweekpakistan.com/culture/1055
* http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2012/04/15/qatar-makes-a-bid-to-become-a-global-leader-in-art.html
* http://www.artkuwait.org/2012/04/qatar-desires-munchs-the-scream.html

The 7th URL is on twitter.com and no longer points to the page Google saw.

Of the other 13 hits, 8 did not answer the question because they
were about qualified favorites (like "da Vinci's second most famous")
or were debates or queries on the subject.

And the 5 remaining hits named 5 different painting as the second most famous:

* The Sistine Chapel ceiling (Michelangelo) according to
http://www.waldemar.tv/2012/07/apocalypse-now/

* "The Starry Night" (Van Gogh) according to
http://toptentop.blogspot.ca/2011/03/10-most-famous-paintings.html

* "The Last Supper" (Leonardo da Vinci) according to
http://www.zimbio.com/Art/articles/fqcTO0eA3pw/Brief+description+ten+most+famous+paintings

* "Girl with a Pearl Earring" (Vermeer) according to
http://richardtulloch.wordpress.com/2012/05/31/dutch-street-art-raamstraat-den-haag/

* "The Persistence of Memory" (Dali) according to
http://meetingdali.blogspot.ca/2009/08/worlds-second-most-famous-painting.html

Next, some straight Google counts for these paintings and the Mona Lisa
and the others that were given as answers. (For "Whistler's Mother"
I tried three title-forms, so it's shown three times.) First I searched
including the main word in each artist's name:

5,140,000 "Mona Lisa" Vinci
1,660,000 "The Last Supper" Vinci
1,350,000 "Sistine Chapel" Michelangelo
1,330,000 "The Scream" Munch
572,000 "American Gothic" Wood
424,000 "The Starry Night" Gogh
264,000 "Girl with a Pearl Earring" Vermeer
172,000 "The Persistence of Memory" Dali
166,000 "Whistler's Mother" Whistler
60,100 "Dogs Playing Poker" Coolidge
47,300 "Portrait of the Artist's Mother" Whistler
21,700 "Arrangement in Grey and Black No 1" Whistler

Then with the word "painting" instead:

5,290,000 painting "Mona Lisa"
1,520,000 painting "The Last Supper"
1,040,000 painting "The Scream"
933,000 painting "Sistine Chapel"
386,000 painting "American Gothic"
321,000 painting "The Starry Night"
195,000 painting "Girl with a Pearl Earring"
138,000 painting "Dogs Playing Poker"
135,000 painting "The Persistence of Memory"
132,000 painting "Portrait of the Artist's Mother"
70,600 painting "Whistler's Mother"
24,100 painting "Arrangement in Grey and Black No 1"

Then, for the sake of completeness, with just the titles (using
"Sistine Chapel" as a title) , though this will obviously be more
subject to false hits than the other searches.

34,900,000 "Mona Lisa"
6,780,000 "The Scream"
6,520,000 "The Last Supper"
3,180,000 "Sistine Chapel"
1,960,000 "American Gothic"
1,290,000 "Girl with a Pearl Earring"
1,140,000 "The Starry Night"
544,000 "Dogs Playing Poker"
483,000 "The Persistence of Memory"
219,000 "Portrait of the Artist's Mother"
190,000 "Whistler's Mother"
43,000 "Arrangement in Grey and Black No 1"

Now Google counts are certainly not a reliable thing, but it seems
clear to me that at least "The Last Supper", the Sistine Chapel
ceiling, and "The Scream" (listed alphabetically by artist) should
be accepted, and probably also "American Gothic", which apparently
is not in the same fame-class but still seems to outrank your
claimed answer.

For one point each, please.

Oh, and it was *your* job to do this for everyone's answers, as
penance for asking such a silly question.
--
Mark Brader "As penance, I suppose I should read the standard
Toronto again, but I've already lost as much hair as

swp
2012-10-18 16:19:36 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
Now Google counts are certainly not a reliable thing, but it seems
clear to me that at least "The Last Supper", the Sistine Chapel
ceiling, and "The Scream" (listed alphabetically by artist) should
be accepted, and probably also "American Gothic", which apparently
is not in the same fame-class but still seems to outrank your
claimed answer.
For one point each, please.
granted. but it doesn't change the outcome, as Joachim was in first before this and got the extra point as did many other entrants.
Post by Mark Brader
Oh, and it was *your* job to do this for everyone's answers, as
penance for asking such a silly question.
no, it's more of a hobby than a job. but I appreciate the effort you made while I slept. if it is a job, then I suspect you are owed a great deal of back pay for your efforts over the years. ;-)
swp
Mark Brader
2012-10-18 16:57:34 UTC
Post by swp
granted.
Thanks.
Post by swp
but it doesn't change the outcome, as Joachim was in first
before this and got the extra point as did many other entrants.
Sure.
--
Mark Brader | "Strong typing isn't for weak minds; the argument
Toronto | 'strong typing is for weak minds' is for weak minds."
***@vex.net | -- Guy Harris
Calvin
2012-10-18 22:00:30 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
Next, some straight Google counts for these paintings and the Mona Lisa
and the others that were given as answers. (For "Whistler's Mother"
I tried three title-forms, so it's shown three times.) First I searched
5,140,000 "Mona Lisa" Vinci
1,660,000 "The Last Supper" Vinci
1,350,000 "Sistine Chapel" Michelangelo
1,330,000 "The Scream" Munch
snip

"dogs playing poker" = about 1,920,000 results :-)

cheers,
calvin
Mark Brader
2012-10-18 22:10:50 UTC
Post by Calvin
Post by Mark Brader
Next, some straight Google counts for these paintings and the Mona Lisa
and the others that were given as answers. (For "Whistler's Mother"
I tried three title-forms, so it's shown three times.) First I searched
5,140,000 "Mona Lisa" Vinci
1,660,000 "The Last Supper" Vinci
1,350,000 "Sistine Chapel" Michelangelo
1,330,000 "The Scream" Munch
"dogs playing poker" = about 1,920,000 results :-)
For the correct numbers please read the table entries you didn't quote.
Your search was for dogs, playing, and poker -- no quotation marks, so
not a phrase search.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Mark is probably right about something,
***@vex.net | but I forget what" -- Rayan Zachariassen

Mark Brader
2023-11-03 00:15:09 UTC
In 2012, in Rotating Quiz #77, Stephen Perry asked:

| 9. the 'Mona Lisa' is the most famous painting of all time.
| what's the 2nd most famous one?

His expected answer was "The Starry Night" (Van Gogh), but when
this was challenged, it turned out he had based this answer
on a top-10 list from "a random source on the internet that
Post by Mark Brader
The obvious start was a Google phrase search on
"second most famous painting"
On the first 2 pages of 10 hits each, there were 7 that said it was
"The Scream" (Munch), but that'll be exaggerated because it's been in
the news recently and all the pages are reports of the same news story
or refer to it...
Of the other 13 hits, 8 did not answer the question because they
were about qualified favorites (like "da Vinci's second most famous")
or were debates or queries on the subject.
And the 5 remaining hits named 5 different painting as the
* The Sistine Chapel ceiling (Michelangelo)...
* "The Starry Night" (Van Gogh)...
* "The Last Supper" (Leonardo da Vinci)...
* "Girl with a Pearl Earring" (Vermeer)...
* "The Persistence of Memory" (Dali)...
I went on to check Google hit counts on the individual paintings,
and then proposed that
Post by Mark Brader
...that at least "The Last Supper", the Sistine Chapel
ceiling, and "The Scream" (listed alphabetically by artist) should
be accepted, and probably also "American Gothic"...
which Stephen agreed to do.

Looking back at my old posting now, it occurred to me to try the
search

"second most famous painting"

again, and see what it indicated now that "The Scream" was no longer
in the news. Well, Google's practice now is to interrupt its list
of top hits with a list of "people also ask" pages, and I decided
to check those as well as the top 20 actual hits. As before,
I ignored qualified claims such as "da Vinci's second most famous".

And the result this time there was a clear consensus on "The Last
Supper" (Leonardo da Vinci), with 6 votes:

http://www.easy-oil-painting-techniques.org/leonardo-da-vinci-paintings.html
http://aleteia.org/2019/11/22/leonardos-the-last-supper-is-the-second-most-famous-painting-in-the-world/
http://www.pinterest.ca/pin/paintings--527132331365826778/
http://rosbena.com/list/ten-most-famous-paintings-in-the-world/

http://twitter.com/jerrysaltz/status/1282728552954236928

4 other paintings received one vote each. In alphabetical order
by artist, they were:

* "The Birth of Venus" (Botticelli) according to
http://artistro.com/blogs/news/30-most-famous-artworks-in-history-the-greatest-art-of-all-time
* Sistine Chapel ceiling (Michelangelo) according to
http://artsandculture.google.com/story/6-of-the-world-39-s-most-visited-paintings/sAVhFizZbAwNJA?hl=en
* "The Scream (Munch) according to
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonathonkeats/2016/03/18/seen-the-scream-this-new-york-exhibit-provides-a-fresh-perspective-on-the-great-edvard-munch/
* "Starry Night" (Van Gogh) according to
http://top-10-list.org/2011/08/01/top-10-most-famous-paintings/

So now we know.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Remember that computers are very,
***@vex.net very fast..." -- Steve Summit

Joachim Parsch
2012-10-18 06:00:26 UTC
Post by swp
Post by swp
ok, I made another rotating quiz waiting on the (official)
results of rq #76. the usual rules apply. 1 point per answer.
highest score gets to set the next rq.
by capricious whim, I select Joachim as the winner!
congratulations young man!
Thanks. Though I wonder where I earned the plus...
Post by swp
your knowledge of international politics for countries
starting with 'i' has served you well. RQ78 is yours to
do with as you please.
It should be ready before the week-end.

Joachim
Erland Sommarskog
2012-10-18 07:30:52 UTC
Post by swp
9. the 'Mona Lisa' is the most famous painting of all time. what's the
2nd most famous one?
'The Starry Night' by Dutch artist (and friend of the Doctor) Vincent van Gogh
I know van Gogh, and even some of his paintings. But "This starry night"
does not ring a bell. If the question had been "Which is van Gogh's most
famous painting", I would have answered his self-portrait. But art is by
no means my field of expertise.

Mark got a little upset, but you know Stephen always likes to ask silly
questions. And this question was not as silly when he asked about the
number of bridges in Stockholm and thought he knew the answer after having
read some tourist pamphlet.
Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, ***@sommarskog.se
Mark Brader
2012-10-18 08:11:43 UTC
Post by Erland Sommarskog
I know van Gogh, and even some of his paintings. But "This starry night"
does not ring a bell.
Post by Erland Sommarskog
Mark got a little upset...
No, only a little annoyed.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "We don't use clubs; they weren't invented here.
***@vex.net | We use rocks." -- David Keldsen
Erland Sommarskog
2012-10-18 21:18:46 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
Post by Erland Sommarskog
I know van Gogh, and even some of his paintings. But "This starry night"
does not ring a bell.
http://www.vggallery.com/painting/f_0612.jpg
Thanks. I have certainly seen it before. I might even be able to guess
van Gogh if I did know that it was him.

But guess that it would be the most second-most famous painting? Hardly.
--
Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, ***@sommarskog.se