QFTCIBSI23 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: sports droughts, sequels
Mark Brader
2023-05-24 05:01:27 UTC
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-05-08,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information please
see my recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 1, Round 2 - Sports - Droughts

We all know that the Leafs have not won the Stanley Cup in 55
years. Given a sport and the relevant span of years, identify
the team which has failed to win the applicable championship.
Please specify location and team name, e.g. Toronto Maple Leafs.

1. Baseball, 1908-2016.
2. Baseball, 1948-present.
3. Hockey, 1940-94.
4. Hockey, 1961-2010.
5. American football, 1969-present.
6. American football, 1964-present.
7. Soccer World Cup, 1966-present.
8. Soccer World Cup, never won. Lost World Cup final in 1974,
1978, and 2010.
9. Hockey, never won (although an unrelated team last won in 1927).
Lost Stanley Cup final in 2007.
10. American football, never won. Lost Super Bowl in 1991, 1992, 1993,
and 1994.

* Game 1, Round 3 - Literature - The Next Book

We'll give you the author, and one of their works. You tell us
the sequel (or in general the next book in the series).

1. "2001: A Space Odyssey", by Arthur C. Clarke.
2. "The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy", by Douglas Adams.
3. "Anne of Green Gables", by Lucy Maud Montgomery.
4. "The Handmaid's Tale", by Margaret Atwood.
5. "The Shining", by Stephen King.
6. "Red Dragon", by Thomas Harris.
7. "To Kill a Mockingbird", by Harper Lee.
8. "Catch-22", by Joseph Heller.
9. "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland", by Lewis Carroll.
10. "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", by Roald Dahl.

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Ba gur svefg
dhrfgvba, gur frdhry, yvxr gur svefg obbx, unf n znva gvgyr
naq n fhogvgyr. Vs lbh bayl tnir gur znva gvgyr, tb onpx naq
pbzcyrgr gur nafjre. Vs lbh qvq vapyhqr gur fhogvgyr naq vg jnf
"Gur Lrne Jr Znxr Pbagnpg", gura lbh'er guvaxvat bs gur zbivr
irefvba (juvpu, vapvqragnyyl, jnf nyfb vffhrq jvgubhg n fhogvgyr),
naq jr'yy trarebhfyl nyybj lbh gb tb onpx naq pbeerpg gur fhogvgyr.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Operating systems are too important
***@vex.net | to be 'visionary'." --Linus Torvalds

Erland Sommarskog
2023-05-24 19:11:52 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 1, Round 2 - Sports - Droughts
3. Hockey, 1940-94.
Montréal Canadiens
Post by Mark Brader
4. Hockey, 1961-2010.
Detroit Red Wings
Post by Mark Brader
5. American football, 1969-present.
Green Bay Packers
Post by Mark Brader
7. Soccer World Cup, 1966-present.
England
Post by Mark Brader
8. Soccer World Cup, never won. Lost World Cup final in 1974,
1978, and 2010.
Netherlands
Post by Mark Brader
9. Hockey, never won (although an unrelated team last won in 1927).
Lost Stanley Cup final in 2007.
Vancouver Cannucks
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 1, Round 3 - Literature - The Next Book
We'll give you the author, and one of their works. You tell us
the sequel (or in general the next book in the series).
1. "2001: A Space Odyssey", by Arthur C. Clarke.
2010
Post by Mark Brader
7. "To Kill a Mockingbird", by Harper Lee.
Oops. OK, there was eventually a second book released under her
name - but did she actually write it?
Post by Mark Brader
8. "Catch-22", by Joseph Heller.
9. "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland", by Lewis Carroll.
Through the Looking Glass
Post by Mark Brader
After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Ba gur svefg
dhrfgvba, gur frdhry, yvxr gur svefg obbx, unf n znva gvgyr
naq n fhogvgyr. Vs lbh bayl tnir gur znva gvgyr, tb onpx naq
pbzcyrgr gur nafjre. Vs lbh qvq vapyhqr gur fhogvgyr naq vg jnf
"Gur Lrne Jr Znxr Pbagnpg", gura lbh'er guvaxvat bs gur zbivr
irefvba (juvpu, vapvqragnyyl, jnf nyfb vffhrq jvgubhg n fhogvgyr),
naq jr'yy trarebhfyl nyybj lbh gb tb onpx naq pbeerpg gur fhogvgyr.
Well, I tried to get away with only the year. But it seems that I
don't.
Dan Blum
2023-05-24 21:22:25 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 1, Round 2 - Sports - Droughts
1. Baseball, 1908-2016.
Chicago Cubs
Post by Mark Brader
2. Baseball, 1948-present.
Cleveland Guardians
Post by Mark Brader
3. Hockey, 1940-94.
Detroit Red Wings; Columbus Blue Jackets
Post by Mark Brader
4. Hockey, 1961-2010.
Buffalo Sabres; St. Louis Blues
Post by Mark Brader
5. American football, 1969-present.
Detroit Lions
Post by Mark Brader
9. Hockey, never won (although an unrelated team last won in 1927).
Lost Stanley Cup final in 2007.
Buffalo Sabres
Post by Mark Brader
10. American football, never won. Lost Super Bowl in 1991, 1992, 1993,
and 1994.
Buffalo Bills
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 1, Round 3 - Literature - The Next Book
2. "The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy", by Douglas Adams.
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Post by Mark Brader
6. "Red Dragon", by Thomas Harris.
The Silence of the Lambs
Post by Mark Brader
7. "To Kill a Mockingbird", by Harper Lee.
Go Set a Watchman
Post by Mark Brader
9. "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland", by Lewis Carroll.
Alice Through the Looking-Glass
Post by Mark Brader
10. "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", by Roald Dahl.
Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator
Dan Blum ***@panix.com
swp
2023-05-24 22:12:38 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-05-08,
and should be interpreted accordingly.
Please post all your answers in a single follow-up to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.
All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information please
see my recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
* Game 1, Round 2 - Sports - Droughts
We all know that the Leafs have not won the Stanley Cup in 55
years. Given a sport and the relevant span of years, identify
the team which has failed to win the applicable championship.
Please specify location and team name, e.g. Toronto Maple Leafs.
1. Baseball, 1908-2016.
chicago Cubs
Post by Mark Brader
2. Baseball, 1948-present.
cleveland guardians (nee indians)
Post by Mark Brader
3. Hockey, 1940-94.
new york rangers
Post by Mark Brader
4. Hockey, 1961-2010.
chicago blackhawks
Post by Mark Brader
5. American football, 1969-present.
minnesota vikings
Post by Mark Brader
6. American football, 1964-present.
cleveland browns
Post by Mark Brader
7. Soccer World Cup, 1966-present.
england
Post by Mark Brader
9. Hockey, never won (although an unrelated team last won in 1927).
Lost Stanley Cup final in 2007.
ottawa senators
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 1, Round 3 - Literature - The Next Book
We'll give you the author, and one of their works. You tell us
the sequel (or in general the next book in the series).
1. "2001: A Space Odyssey", by Arthur C. Clarke.
2010: odyssey two
Post by Mark Brader
3. "Anne of Green Gables", by Lucy Maud Montgomery.
anne of avonlea
Post by Mark Brader
4. "The Handmaid's Tale", by Margaret Atwood.
the testaments
Post by Mark Brader
5. "The Shining", by Stephen King.
doctor sleep
Post by Mark Brader
6. "Red Dragon", by Thomas Harris.
hannibal rising
Post by Mark Brader
7. "To Kill a Mockingbird", by Harper Lee.
go set a watchman
Post by Mark Brader
8. "Catch-22", by Joseph Heller.
closing time
Post by Mark Brader
10. "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", by Roald Dahl.
charlie and the great glass elevator
Post by Mark Brader
After completing the round, please decode the rot13: On the first
question, the sequel, like the first book, has a main title
and a subtitle. If you only gave the main title, go back and
complete the answer. If you did include the subtitle and it was
"The Year We Make Contact", then you're thinking of the movie
version (which, incidentally, was also issued without a subtitle),
and we'll generously allow you to go back and correct the subtitle
Post by Mark Brader
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Operating systems are too important
swp
Joshua Kreitzer
2023-05-25 00:38:52 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 1, Round 2 - Sports - Droughts
We all know that the Leafs have not won the Stanley Cup in 55
years. Given a sport and the relevant span of years, identify
the team which has failed to win the applicable championship.
1. Baseball, 1908-2016.
Chicago Cubs
Post by Mark Brader
2. Baseball, 1948-present.
Cleveland Guardians
Post by Mark Brader
3. Hockey, 1940-94.
New York Rangers
Post by Mark Brader
4. Hockey, 1961-2010.
Chicago Blackhawks
Post by Mark Brader
5. American football, 1969-present.
New York Jets
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 1, Round 3 - Literature - The Next Book
We'll give you the author, and one of their works. You tell us
the sequel (or in general the next book in the series).
1. "2001: A Space Odyssey", by Arthur C. Clarke.
Post by Mark Brader
3. "Anne of Green Gables", by Lucy Maud Montgomery.
"Anne of Avonlea"
Post by Mark Brader
5. "The Shining", by Stephen King.
"Doctor Sleep"
Post by Mark Brader
6. "Red Dragon", by Thomas Harris.
"The Silence of the Lambs"
Post by Mark Brader
7. "To Kill a Mockingbird", by Harper Lee.
"Go Set a Watchman"
Post by Mark Brader
9. "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland", by Lewis Carroll.
Post by Mark Brader
After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Ba gur svefg
dhrfgvba, gur frdhry, yvxr gur svefg obbx, unf n znva gvgyr
naq n fhogvgyr. Vs lbh bayl tnir gur znva gvgyr, tb onpx naq
pbzcyrgr gur nafjre. Vs lbh qvq vapyhqr gur fhogvgyr naq vg jnf
"Gur Lrne Jr Znxr Pbagnpg", gura lbh'er guvaxvat bs gur zbivr
irefvba (juvpu, vapvqragnyyl, jnf nyfb vffhrq jvgubhg n fhogvgyr),
naq jr'yy trarebhfyl nyybj lbh gb tb onpx naq pbeerpg gur fhogvgyr.
Fhogvgyr nqqrq.

--
Joshua Kreitzer
***@hotmail.com
Dan Tilque
2023-05-25 01:44:09 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 1, Round 2 - Sports - Droughts
We all know that the Leafs have not won the Stanley Cup in 55
years. Given a sport and the relevant span of years, identify
the team which has failed to win the applicable championship.
Please specify location and team name, e.g. Toronto Maple Leafs.
1. Baseball, 1908-2016.
Chicago Cubs
Post by Mark Brader
2. Baseball, 1948-present.
Detroit Tigers
Post by Mark Brader
3. Hockey, 1940-94.
4. Hockey, 1961-2010.
5. American football, 1969-present.
Indianapolis Colts
Post by Mark Brader
6. American football, 1964-present.
Chicago Bears
Post by Mark Brader
7. Soccer World Cup, 1966-present.
UK
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 1, Round 3 - Literature - The Next Book
We'll give you the author, and one of their works. You tell us
the sequel (or in general the next book in the series).
1. "2001: A Space Odyssey", by Arthur C. Clarke.
2010: Odyssey Two
Post by Mark Brader
3. "Anne of Green Gables", by Lucy Maud Montgomery.
4. "The Handmaid's Tale", by Margaret Atwood.
5. "The Shining", by Stephen King.
6. "Red Dragon", by Thomas Harris.
7. "To Kill a Mockingbird", by Harper Lee.
8. "Catch-22", by Joseph Heller.
9. "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland", by Lewis Carroll.
Through the Lookingglass
Dan Tilque
Mark Brader
2023-05-27 04:57:19 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-05-08,
and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information
please see my recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
* Game 1, Round 2 - Sports - Droughts
We all know that the Leafs have not won the Stanley Cup in 55
years. Given a sport and the relevant span of years, identify
the team which has failed to win the applicable championship.
Please specify location and team name, e.g. Toronto Maple Leafs.
1. Baseball, 1908-2016.
Chicago Cubs. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.
Post by Mark Brader
2. Baseball, 1948-present.
Cleveland Indians/Guardians (accepting either name). 4 for Dan Blum,
Stephen, and Joshua.
Post by Mark Brader
3. Hockey, 1940-94.
New York Rangers. 4 for Stephen and Joshua.
Post by Mark Brader
4. Hockey, 1961-2010.
Chicago Black Hawks / Blackhawks. 4 for Stephen and Joshua.
Post by Mark Brader
5. American football, 1969-present.
New York Jets. 4 for Joshua.
Post by Mark Brader
6. American football, 1964-present.
Cleveland Browns. 4 for Stephen.

There wasn't a Super Bowl in 1964, of course; the applicable
championship that they won that year was the NFL championship.
Post by Mark Brader
7. Soccer World Cup, 1966-present.
England. 4 for Erland, Stephen, and Joshua.

No points for UK; there is no UK team in the competition.
Post by Mark Brader
8. Soccer World Cup, never won. Lost World Cup final in 1974,
1978, and 2010.
Netherlands. 4 for Erland, Stephen, and Joshua.
Post by Mark Brader
9. Hockey, never won (although an unrelated team last won in 1927).
Lost Stanley Cup final in 2007.
Ottawa Senators. 4 for Stephen.

The unrelated team is the original Ottawa Senators, who won 11
Stanley Cups from 1903 to 1927.
Post by Mark Brader
10. American football, never won. Lost Super Bowl in 1991, 1992, 1993,
and 1994.
Buffalo Bills. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 1, Round 3 - Literature - The Next Book
We'll give you the author, and one of their works. You tell us
the sequel (or in general the next book in the series).
1. "2001: A Space Odyssey", by Arthur C. Clarke.
"2010: Odyssey Two". (Full title required.) 4 for Stephen, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.
Post by Mark Brader
2. "The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy", by Douglas Adams.
"The Restaurant at the End of the Universe". 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen,
Joshua, and Dan Tilque.
Post by Mark Brader
3. "Anne of Green Gables", by Lucy Maud Montgomery.
"Anne of Avonlea". 4 for Stephen and Joshua.
Post by Mark Brader
4. "The Handmaid's Tale", by Margaret Atwood.
"The Testaments". 4 for Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
5. "The Shining", by Stephen King.
"Doctor Sleep". 4 for Stephen and Joshua.
Post by Mark Brader
6. "Red Dragon", by Thomas Harris.
"The Silence of the Lambs". 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.
Post by Mark Brader
7. "To Kill a Mockingbird", by Harper Lee.
"Go Set a Watchman". 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, and Joshua.
Post by Mark Brader
8. "Catch-22", by Joseph Heller.
"Closing Time". 4 for Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
9. "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland", by Lewis Carroll.
"Through the Looking-Glass (and What Alice Found There)".
(On this one the main title was sufficient.) 4 for Erland, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque. 3 for Dan Blum and Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
10. "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", by Roald Dahl.
"Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator". 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen,
and Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Spo Lit
Stephen Perry 36 35 71
Joshua Kreitzer 32 32 64
Dan Blum 12 19 31
Dan Tilque 8 12 20
Erland Sommarskog 8 4 12
--
Mark Brader "If you can read this
Toronto YOU'RE NOT A TRAIN"

swp
2023-05-27 13:27:05 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 1, Round 3 - Literature - The Next Book
We'll give you the author, and one of their works. You tell us
the sequel (or in general the next book in the series).
6. "Red Dragon", by Thomas Harris.
"The Silence of the Lambs". 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.
I protest. my answer was the next book written in the series.
you didn't ask for the book's internal chronological order.
Post by Mark Brader
9. "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland", by Lewis Carroll.
"Through the Looking-Glass (and What Alice Found There)".
(On this one the main title was sufficient.) 4 for Erland, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque. 3 for Dan Blum and Stephen.
I protest on the grounds that I was brainwashed as a child by
the evil national broadcasting corporation's tv movie.
GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Spo Lit
Stephen Perry 36 35 71
Joshua Kreitzer 32 32 64
Dan Blum 12 19 31
Dan Tilque 8 12 20
Erland Sommarskog 8 4 12
swp
Dan Blum
2023-05-27 14:27:42 UTC
Post by swp
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 1, Round 3 - Literature - The Next Book
We'll give you the author, and one of their works. You tell us
the sequel (or in general the next book in the series).
6. "Red Dragon", by Thomas Harris.
"The Silence of the Lambs". 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.
I protest. my answer was the next book written in the series.
you didn't ask for the book's internal chronological order.
The Silence of the Lambs WAS the next book written, or at least the
next book published. Red Dragon was 1981, Silence was 1988.
Dan Blum ***@panix.com