QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: 1995, rivers
Mark Brader
2024-01-08 21:02:10 UTC
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-13,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

I wrote one of these rounds.

* Game 8, Round 7 - History - 1995

All these events took place in 1995.

1. Which country's membership in the British -- er, that is, in
the Commonwealth of Nations -- was suspended due to repeated
human-rights violations?

2. What was released in the Tokyo subway, killing 12 people and
injuring over 5,000?

3. The signing of the Dayton Agreement brought peace to what part
of the world?

4. Who was famously found not guilty of killing his wife and
another person?

5. Which online sales web site began operations?

6. Which planet did the spacecraft Galileo orbit?

7. In which US city did a terrorist attack destroy the federal
building?

8. Whose 35,000-word manifesto was published by the "Washington
Post", "New York Times", and other papers?

9. Which country began peace talks with Israel?

10. In which country did the US withdraw its peacekeeping troops?

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh fnvq
fbzrguvat yvxr "cbvfba tnf" ba gur frpbaq dhrfgvba, tb onpx naq
or zber fcrpvsvp. Jr arrq gur anzr bs gur fcrpvsvp ntrag.

* Game 8, Round 8 - Geography - Rivers

Please see the handout at:

For each question we will name a river of some importance, and
you will simply tell us which numbered dot marks its mouth, or
if it has a large delta, then the general area of its mouths.
Note that most of the dots are on coastlines, but not all.

1. Volga.
2. Rhine.
3. Hudson.
4. Congo.
5. Mekong ["MAY-kong"].
6. Saskatchewan.
7. Danube.
8. Ganges.
9. Amazon.
10. Loire ["Lwar"].

So there were 23 decoys. If you like, for fun but for no points,
decode the rot13 and give the correct dot number for each.

11. Punb Cuenln.
12. Pbybenqb.
13. Pbyhzovn.
14. Rhcuengrf.
15. Vaqhf.
16. Yvzcbcb.
17. Znpxramvr.
18. Zvffvffvccv.
19. Zvffbhev.
20. Arteb.
21. Aryfba.
22. Avtre.
23. Avyr.
24. Bo.
25. Bqre.
26. Bevabpb.
27. Cnenaá.
28. Euôar.
29. Fg. Ynjerapr.
30. Fãb Senapvfpb.
31. Lnatgmr.
32. Lryybj.
33. Mnzormv.
--
Mark Brader|"But how can we do something about something that isn't happening?"
Toronto |"It's much easier to solve an imaginary problem than a real one."

swp
2024-01-08 22:16:55 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-13,
and should be interpreted accordingly.
Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.
All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".
I wrote one of these rounds.
* Game 8, Round 7 - History - 1995
All these events took place in 1995.
it was a good year
Post by Mark Brader
1. Which country's membership in the British -- er, that is, in
the Commonwealth of Nations -- was suspended due to repeated
human-rights violations?
nigeria
Post by Mark Brader
2. What was released in the Tokyo subway, killing 12 people and
injuring over 5,000?
sarin
Post by Mark Brader
3. The signing of the Dayton Agreement brought peace to what part
of the world?
bosnia [sore subject for those who were there the prior 4 years]
Post by Mark Brader
4. Who was famously found not guilty of killing his wife and
another person?
orenthal james simpson
Post by Mark Brader
5. Which online sales web site began operations?
amazon
Post by Mark Brader
6. Which planet did the spacecraft Galileo orbit?
jupiter
Post by Mark Brader
7. In which US city did a terrorist attack destroy the federal
building?
oklahoma city
Post by Mark Brader
8. Whose 35,000-word manifesto was published by the "Washington
Post", "New York Times", and other papers?
ted kaczynski's unabomber manifesto
Post by Mark Brader
9. Which country began peace talks with Israel?
palestine [oslo accords]
Post by Mark Brader
10. In which country did the US withdraw its peacekeeping troops?
somalia?
Post by Mark Brader
After completing the round, please decode the rot13: If you said
something like "poison gas" on the second question, go back and
be more specific. We need the name of the specific agent.
* Game 8, Round 8 - Geography - Rivers
http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g8r8/rivs.png
For each question we will name a river of some importance, and
you will simply tell us which numbered dot marks its mouth, or
if it has a large delta, then the general area of its mouths.
Note that most of the dots are on coastlines, but not all.
1. Volga.
21
Post by Mark Brader
2. Rhine.
16
Post by Mark Brader
3. Hudson.
8
Post by Mark Brader
4. Congo.
31
Post by Mark Brader
5. Mekong ["MAY-kong"].
27
Post by Mark Brader
6. Saskatchewan.
7
Post by Mark Brader
7. Danube.
19
Post by Mark Brader
8. Ganges.
25
Post by Mark Brader
9. Amazon.
13
Post by Mark Brader
10. Loire ["Lwar"].
15
Post by Mark Brader
So there were 23 decoys. If you like, for fun but for no points,
decode the rot13 and give the correct dot number for each.
11. Chao Phraya.
12. Colorado.
13. Columbia.
14. Euphrates.
15. Indus.
16. Limpopo.
17. Mackenzie.
18. Mississippi.
19. Missouri.
20. Negro.
21. Nelson.
22. Niger.
23. Nile.
24. Ob.
25. Oder.
26. Orinoco.
27. Paraná.
28. Rhône.
29. St. Lawrence.
30. São Francisco.
31. Yangtze.
32. Yellow.
33. Zambezi.
swp
Dan Blum
2024-01-08 22:31:06 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 8, Round 7 - History - 1995
2. What was released in the Tokyo subway, killing 12 people and
injuring over 5,000?
sarin gas
Post by Mark Brader
3. The signing of the Dayton Agreement brought peace to what part
of the world?
the Balkans
Post by Mark Brader
4. Who was famously found not guilty of killing his wife and
another person?
O. J. Simpson
Post by Mark Brader
5. Which online sales web site began operations?
eBay
Post by Mark Brader
6. Which planet did the spacecraft Galileo orbit?
Jupiter
Post by Mark Brader
8. Whose 35,000-word manifesto was published by the "Washington
Post", "New York Times", and other papers?
Unabomber
Post by Mark Brader
9. Which country began peace talks with Israel?
Jordan
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 8, Round 8 - Geography - Rivers
1. Volga.
21
Post by Mark Brader
2. Rhine.
18
Post by Mark Brader
3. Hudson.
8
Post by Mark Brader
4. Congo.
31
Post by Mark Brader
5. Mekong ["MAY-kong"].
27
Post by Mark Brader
6. Saskatchewan.
4
Post by Mark Brader
7. Danube.
19
Post by Mark Brader
8. Ganges.
25
Post by Mark Brader
9. Amazon.
14
Post by Mark Brader
10. Loire ["Lwar"].
17
Dan Blum ***@panix.com
Erland Sommarskog
2024-01-08 23:08:23 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 8, Round 7 - History - 1995
All these events took place in 1995.
1. Which country's membership in the British -- er, that is, in
the Commonwealth of Nations -- was suspended due to repeated
human-rights violations?
Zimbabwe
Post by Mark Brader
3. The signing of the Dayton Agreement brought peace to what part
of the world?
Bosnia-Hercegovina
Post by Mark Brader
5. Which online sales web site began operations?
Amazon
Post by Mark Brader
6. Which planet did the spacecraft Galileo orbit?
Pluto
Post by Mark Brader
10. In which country did the US withdraw its peacekeeping troops?
Somalia
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 8, Round 8 - Geography - Rivers
1. Volga.
21
Post by Mark Brader
2. Rhine.
16
Post by Mark Brader
3. Hudson.
8
Post by Mark Brader
4. Congo.
31
Post by Mark Brader
5. Mekong ["MAY-kong"].
27
Post by Mark Brader
6. Saskatchewan.
3
Post by Mark Brader
7. Danube.
19
Post by Mark Brader
8. Ganges.
25
Post by Mark Brader
9. Amazon.
13
Post by Mark Brader
10. Loire ["Lwar"].
15
Post by Mark Brader
11. Punb Cuenln.
12. Pbybenqb.
2
Post by Mark Brader
13. Pbyhzovn.
1
Post by Mark Brader
14. Rhcuengrf.
22
Post by Mark Brader
15. Vaqhf.
24
Post by Mark Brader
18. Zvffvffvccv.
6
Post by Mark Brader
19. Zvffbhev.
5
Post by Mark Brader
20. Arteb.
11
Post by Mark Brader
21. Aryfba.
22. Avtre.
22
Post by Mark Brader
23. Avyr.
20
Post by Mark Brader
24. Bo.
23
Post by Mark Brader
25. Bqre.
18
Post by Mark Brader
26. Bevabpb.
10
Post by Mark Brader
27. Cnenaá.
12
Post by Mark Brader
28. Euôar.
17
Post by Mark Brader
29. Fg. Ynjerapr.
9
Post by Mark Brader
31. Lnatgmr.
29
Post by Mark Brader
32. Lryybj.
28
Post by Mark Brader
33. Mnzormv.
32
Joshua Kreitzer
2024-01-09 02:37:58 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
3. The signing of the Dayton Agreement brought peace to what part
of the world?
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Post by Mark Brader
5. Which online sales web site began operations?
Amazon.com
Post by Mark Brader
6. Which planet did the spacecraft Galileo orbit?
Jupiter; Saturn
Post by Mark Brader
8. Whose 35,000-word manifesto was published by the "Washington
Post", "New York Times", and other papers?
Ted Kaczynski
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 8, Round 8 - Geography - Rivers
http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g8r8/rivs.png
For each question we will name a river of some importance, and
you will simply tell us which numbered dot marks its mouth, or
if it has a large delta, then the general area of its mouths.
Note that most of the dots are on coastlines, but not all.
1. Volga.
21
Post by Mark Brader
2. Rhine.
16
Post by Mark Brader
3. Hudson.
8
Post by Mark Brader
4. Congo.
31
Post by Mark Brader
5. Mekong ["MAY-kong"].
27
Post by Mark Brader
6. Saskatchewan.
4
Post by Mark Brader
7. Danube.
19
Post by Mark Brader
8. Ganges.
25
Post by Mark Brader
9. Amazon.
13; 14
Post by Mark Brader
10. Loire ["Lwar"].
17; 15
Post by Mark Brader
So there were 23 decoys. If you like, for fun but for no points,
decode the rot13 and give the correct dot number for each.
11. Punb Cuenln.
26
Post by Mark Brader
12. Pbybenqb.
2
Post by Mark Brader
13. Pbyhzovn.
1
Post by Mark Brader
14. Rhcuengrf.
22
Post by Mark Brader
15. Vaqhf.
24
Post by Mark Brader
18. Zvffvffvccv.
6
Post by Mark Brader
19. Zvffbhev.
5
Post by Mark Brader
22. Avtre.
30
Post by Mark Brader
23. Avyr.
20
Post by Mark Brader
24. Bo.
I just want to say that it's interesting that this river's name in rot-13 is its name in reverse.
Post by Mark Brader
25. Bqre.
18
Post by Mark Brader
29. Fg. Ynjerapr.
9

--
Joshua Kreitzer
***@hotmail.com
Dan Tilque
2024-01-09 20:18:59 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
3. The signing of the Dayton Agreement brought peace to what part
of the world?
Northern Ireland
Post by Mark Brader
10. In which country did the US withdraw its peacekeeping troops?
Bosnia
Post by Mark Brader
After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh fnvq
fbzrguvat yvxr "cbvfba tnf" ba gur frpbaq dhrfgvba, tb onpx naq
or zber fcrpvsvp. Jr arrq gur anzr bs gur fcrpvsvp ntrag.
* Game 8, Round 8 - Geography - Rivers
http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g8r8/rivs.png
For each question we will name a river of some importance, and
you will simply tell us which numbered dot marks its mouth, or
if it has a large delta, then the general area of its mouths.
Note that most of the dots are on coastlines, but not all.
1. Volga.
21
Post by Mark Brader
2. Rhine.
16
Post by Mark Brader
3. Hudson.
8
Post by Mark Brader
4. Congo.
31
Post by Mark Brader
5. Mekong ["MAY-kong"].
27
Post by Mark Brader
6. Saskatchewan.
7
Post by Mark Brader
7. Danube.
19
Post by Mark Brader
8. Ganges.
25
Post by Mark Brader
9. Amazon.
13
Post by Mark Brader
10. Loire ["Lwar"].
15
Dan Tilque
Mark Brader
2024-01-12 05:24:48 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-13,
and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information
please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
I wrote one of these rounds.
The geography round.
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 8, Round 7 - History - 1995
All these events took place in 1995.
1. Which country's membership in the British -- er, that is, in
the Commonwealth of Nations -- was suspended due to repeated
human-rights violations?
Nigeria. (Suspended until 1999.) 4 for Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
2. What was released in the Tokyo subway, killing 12 people and
injuring over 5,000?
Sarin. 4 for everyone -- Stephen, Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.
Post by Mark Brader
3. The signing of the Dayton Agreement brought peace to what part
of the world?
Bosnia (accepting a less specific reference such as Balkan Peninsula).
4 for Stephen, Dan Blum, Erland, and Joshua.
Post by Mark Brader
4. Who was famously found not guilty of killing his wife and
another person?
O.J. Simpson. 4 for everyone.
Post by Mark Brader
5. Which online sales web site began operations?
EBay. 4 for Dan Blum.

Amazon was founded in 1994.
Post by Mark Brader
6. Which planet did the spacecraft Galileo orbit?
Jupiter. 4 for Stephen, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Joshua.
Post by Mark Brader
7. In which US city did a terrorist attack destroy the federal
building?
Oklahoma City. 4 for everyone.
Post by Mark Brader
8. Whose 35,000-word manifesto was published by the "Washington
Post", "New York Times", and other papers?
Theodore Kaczynski ["ka-ZIN-ski"], the Unabomber. (Accepting either.)
4 for Stephen, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.
Post by Mark Brader
9. Which country began peace talks with Israel?
Syria.

The Israel-Jordan treaty was signed in 1994.
Post by Mark Brader
10. In which country did the US withdraw its peacekeeping troops?
Somalia. 4 for Stephen and Erland.
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 8, Round 8 - Geography - Rivers
http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g8r8/rivs.png
For each question we will name a river of some importance, and
you will simply tell us which numbered dot marks its mouth, or
if it has a large delta, then the general area of its mouths.
Note that most of the dots are on coastlines, but not all.
In the original game the audio round -- which I also wrote -- was
the easiest, and this one was second-easiest.
1. Volga.
#21. (On the Caspian Sea.) 4 for everyone.
2. Rhine.
#16. 4 for Stephen, Erland, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.
3. Hudson.
#8. 4 for everyone.
4. Congo.
#31. 4 for everyone.
5. Mekong ["MAY-kong"].
#27. 4 for everyone.
6. Saskatchewan.
#4. (On Lake Winnipeg.) 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.
7. Danube.
#19. 4 for everyone.
8. Ganges.
#25. 4 for everyone.
9. Amazon.
#13. 4 for Stephen, Erland, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Joshua.
10. Loire ["Lwar"].
#15. 4 for Stephen, Erland, and Dan Tilque. 2 for Joshua.
#26. Joshua got this.
12. Colorado.
#2. Erland and Joshua got this.
13. Columbia.
#1. Erland and Joshua got this.
14. Euphrates.
#22. Erland and Joshua got this.
15. Indus.
#24. Erland and Joshua got this.
16. Limpopo.
#33.
17. Mackenzie.
#3.
18. Mississippi.
#6. Erland and Joshua got this.
19. Missouri.
#5. (On the Mississippi R.) Erland and Joshua got this.
20. Negro.
#11. (On the Amazon R.) Erland got this.
21. Nelson.
#7.
22. Niger.
#30. Joshua got this.
23. Nile.
#20. Erland and Joshua got this.
24. Ob.
#23. Erland got this.

Joshua was interested to note that the rot13 version of this river's
name is the same as its reversal.
25. Oder.
#18. Erland and Joshua got this.
26. Orinoco.
#10. Erland got this.
27. Paraná.
#12. Erland got this.
28. Rhône.
#17. Erland got this.
29. St. Lawrence.
#9. Erland and Joshua got this.
30. São Francisco.
#14.
31. Yangtze.
#29. Erland got this.
32. Yellow.
#28. Erland got this.
33. Zambezi.
#32. Erland got this.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Ent Spo Sci Can His Geo FOUR
Stephen Perry 0 36 40 11 32 36 144
Joshua Kreitzer 8 23 12 4 23 37 95
Dan Blum 8 12 12 21 28 28 89
Dan Tilque 0 20 4 0 20 36 80
Erland Sommarskog -- -- 0 0 20 36 56
Pete Gayde 0 30 0 17 -- -- 47
--
Mark Brader "I am Sam. Sam I am.
Toronto I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."