Erland's Occasional Quiz
Erland Sommarskog
2023-12-19 19:52:37 UTC
Here is one of my occasional quizzes. Just a mixed bag of questions,
hopefully on the easier side, but I've been wrong on that assumption
before.

Anyway, the usual rules. No sources, no help from others, post
answers to the newsgroup, and most importantly it's all for fun!
In case of a tie, I will make a subjective evaluation of the
incorrect answers to score a winner.

I plan to score this quiz on Christmas Eve.

1. Which nations fought in the Nitrate War?

2. Which country recently voted in favour in a referendum that two-thirds
of neighbouring country is rightfully part of the voting country?

3. OK boomers, what's a Millennial pause?

4. "The Boy and the Heron" is the most recent work from which
master of animated films?

5. Times of Troubles was a period of turmoil in the beginning of the
17th century in which country?

6. Translated into English, "Black Pete" is the name of the sidekick
of Santa Claus in the folklore of which corner of the world?

7. Aramco is said to be the most profitable company in the world.
In which country are they based?

8. Name any two of the 2023 Nobel laureates.

9. What is smetana?

10. "The Barber of Seville" is an opera by which composer?

11. A few days ago, France won the women's World Championships in
handball, co-hosted by Norway, Sweden and Denmark. Handball is
not a very big sport in North America, and of 32 teams there
was only one from North America, which? Hint: it was one of
the less populous countries.

12. Name two of the main ingredients in Pesto alla genovese.
Mark Brader
2023-12-19 21:26:52 UTC
Post by Erland Sommarskog
1. Which nations fought in the Nitrate War?
Chile and Bolivia, unless there's another one.
Post by Erland Sommarskog
2. Which country recently voted in favour in a referendum that two-thirds
of neighbouring country is rightfully part of the voting country?
Ethiopia?
Post by Erland Sommarskog
5. Times of Troubles was a period of turmoil in the beginning of the
17th century in which country?
Ireland?
Post by Erland Sommarskog
7. Aramco is said to be the most profitable company in the world.
In which country are they based?
Saudi Arabia.
Post by Erland Sommarskog
9. What is smetana?
A compoSer?
Post by Erland Sommarskog
10. "The Barber of Seville" is an opera by which composer?
Rossini?
Post by Erland Sommarskog
11. A few days ago, France won the women's World Championships in
handball, co-hosted by Norway, Sweden and Denmark. Handball is
not a very big sport in North America, and of 32 teams there
was only one from North America, which? Hint: it was one of
the less populous countries.
Honduras?
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Mark is probably right about something,
***@vex.net | but I forget what" -- Rayan Zachariassen

swp
2023-12-20 00:40:18 UTC
Post by Erland Sommarskog
Here is one of my occasional quizzes. Just a mixed bag of questions,
hopefully on the easier side, but I've been wrong on that assumption
before.
Anyway, the usual rules. No sources, no help from others, post
answers to the newsgroup, and most importantly it's all for fun!
In case of a tie, I will make a subjective evaluation of the
incorrect answers to score a winner.
I plan to score this quiz on Christmas Eve.
1. Which nations fought in the Nitrate War?
bolivia, chile
Post by Erland Sommarskog
2. Which country recently voted in favour in a referendum that two-thirds
of neighbouring country is rightfully part of the voting country?
venezuela
Post by Erland Sommarskog
3. OK boomers, what's a Millennial pause?
the pause at the beginning of a video before the music/dialog starts
Post by Erland Sommarskog
4. "The Boy and the Heron" is the most recent work from which
master of animated films?
someone from japan
Post by Erland Sommarskog
5. Times of Troubles was a period of turmoil in the beginning of the
17th century in which country?
russia?
Post by Erland Sommarskog
6. Translated into English, "Black Pete" is the name of the sidekick
of Santa Claus in the folklore of which corner of the world?
the dutch lowlands
Post by Erland Sommarskog
7. Aramco is said to be the most profitable company in the world.
In which country are they based?
saudi arabia
Post by Erland Sommarskog
8. Name any two of the 2023 Nobel laureates.
claudia goldin [econ]; jon fosse [lit]
Post by Erland Sommarskog
9. What is smetana?
a czech composer
Post by Erland Sommarskog
10. "The Barber of Seville" is an opera by which composer?
rossini
Post by Erland Sommarskog
11. A few days ago, France won the women's World Championships in
handball, co-hosted by Norway, Sweden and Denmark. Handball is
not a very big sport in North America, and of 32 teams there
was only one from North America, which? Hint: it was one of
the less populous countries.
canada?
Post by Erland Sommarskog
12. Name two of the main ingredients in Pesto alla genovese.
basil, parmigiano reggiano cheese [my son is in culinary school so I get to hear about this stuff a lot. and sample too.]

swp
Dan Blum
2023-12-20 02:53:10 UTC
Post by Erland Sommarskog
1. Which nations fought in the Nitrate War?
Chile and Bolivia
Post by Erland Sommarskog
4. "The Boy and the Heron" is the most recent work from which
master of animated films?
Miyazaki
Post by Erland Sommarskog
5. Times of Troubles was a period of turmoil in the beginning of the
17th century in which country?
England
Post by Erland Sommarskog
6. Translated into English, "Black Pete" is the name of the sidekick
of Santa Claus in the folklore of which corner of the world?
Central Europe
Post by Erland Sommarskog
7. Aramco is said to be the most profitable company in the world.
In which country are they based?
Saudi Arabia
Post by Erland Sommarskog
10. "The Barber of Seville" is an opera by which composer?
Puccini
Post by Erland Sommarskog
11. A few days ago, France won the women's World Championships in
handball, co-hosted by Norway, Sweden and Denmark. Handball is
not a very big sport in North America, and of 32 teams there
was only one from North America, which? Hint: it was one of
the less populous countries.
Panama
Post by Erland Sommarskog
12. Name two of the main ingredients in Pesto alla genovese.
basil and olive oil
Dan Blum ***@panix.com
Pete Gayde
Pete Gayde
Joshua Kreitzer
2023-12-20 06:58:12 UTC
Post by Erland Sommarskog
2. Which country recently voted in favour in a referendum that two-thirds
of neighbouring country is rightfully part of the voting country?
Venezuela
Post by Erland Sommarskog
5. Times of Troubles was a period of turmoil in the beginning of the
17th century in which country?
Russia
Post by Erland Sommarskog
7. Aramco is said to be the most profitable company in the world.
In which country are they based?
Saudi Arabia
Post by Erland Sommarskog
9. What is smetana?
a composer who wrote "die moldau"
Post by Erland Sommarskog
11. A few days ago, France won the women's World Championships in
handball, co-hosted by Norway, Sweden and Denmark. Handball is
not a very big sport in North America, and of 32 teams there
was only one from North America, which? Hint: it was one of
the less populous countries.
Cuba

--
Joshua Kreitzer
***@hotmail.com
Dan Tilque
2023-12-21 04:46:10 UTC
Post by Erland Sommarskog
1. Which nations fought in the Nitrate War?
Chile and Peru
Post by Erland Sommarskog
3. OK boomers, what's a Millennial pause?
4. "The Boy and the Heron" is the most recent work from which
master of animated films?
5. Times of Troubles was a period of turmoil in the beginning of the
17th century in which country?
6. Translated into English, "Black Pete" is the name of the sidekick
of Santa Claus in the folklore of which corner of the world?
the Caribbean
Post by Erland Sommarskog
8. Name any two of the 2023 Nobel laureates.
9. What is smetana?
10. "The Barber of Seville" is an opera by which composer?
11. A few days ago, France won the women's World Championships in
handball, co-hosted by Norway, Sweden and Denmark. Handball is
not a very big sport in North America, and of 32 teams there
was only one from North America, which? Hint: it was one of
the less populous countries.
Belize
Dan Tilque
Erland Sommarskog
2023-12-24 13:23:41 UTC
This quiz is over and the winner is STEPHEN W PERRY! Congratulations!
Here is the full scoreboard:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Total
Swp 1 1 1 - 1 1 1 1 1 1 - 1 10
Joshua K - 1 - 1 1 1 1 - 1 1 - - 7
Mark B 1 - - - - - 1 - 1 1 - - 4
Dan B 1 - - 1 - - 1 - - - - 1 4
Pete G - - - - - 1 1 - - 1 - - 3
Dan T 1 - - - - - 1 - - - - - 2
Post by Erland Sommarskog
1. Which nations fought in the Nitrate War?
Chile against Perú and Bolivia.

It was sufficient to give Chile and one of the other two. The war stood
in 1879-1884 and was a major victory for Chile who enlarged its
territory by a third or so, making gains from both Bolivia and Perú.
Post by Erland Sommarskog
2. Which country recently voted in favour in a referendum that two-thirds
of neighbouring country is rightfully part of the voting country?
Venezuela. The neighbouring country is Guyana. Apparently, it is an
old grudge from 1899 with the British empire.
Post by Erland Sommarskog
3. OK boomers, what's a Millennial pause?
That's when you record a video for Tiktok or similar, and there is a
quiet second before you start talking, singing, whatever. The younger
kids thinks that this is a bad habit of the Millennial generation. See
also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennial_pause.
Post by Erland Sommarskog
4. "The Boy and the Heron" is the most recent work from which
master of animated films?
Hayao Miyazaki

Miayzaki was sufficient, although his son has also issued animated
films.
Post by Erland Sommarskog
5. Times of Troubles was a period of turmoil in the beginning of the
17th century in which country?
Russia.

In Russian the name is Smutnoye Vremya, and the English name is a
possible translation of this name. In Swedish we know this period as "Den
stora oredan", "The Big Mess" or "The Great Disorder" in English.

In 1598, tsar Fedor died without a heir, and Boris Gudonov became
the tsar, but his situation was as stable as of King Harold of England
in 1066. When bad harvests caused a famine 1600-1603 he was toppled,
and Russia went through a period with several ursurpers and "false
Dmitiris". Both Poland and Sweden stuck their noses in to add insult
to injury. Eventual Mikhail Romanov was elected tsar in 1612, and
things went back to normal.
Post by Erland Sommarskog
6. Translated into English, "Black Pete" is the name of the sidekick
of Santa Claus in the folklore of which corner of the world?
The Dutch Lowlands.

The Dutch name is Zwarte Piet.
Post by Erland Sommarskog
7. Aramco is said to be the most profitable company in the world.
In which country are they based?
Saudi Arabia.

It's the national oil company.
Post by Erland Sommarskog
8. Name any two of the 2023 Nobel laureates.
Narges Mohannadi (peace)
Jon Fosse (literature)
Pierre Agostini (physics)
Ferenc Krausz (physics)
Anne l'Huiller (physics)
Drew Weissman (physiology or medicine)
Katalin Karikó (physiology or medicine)
Claudiua Goldin (economy)
Aleksej Jekimov (chemistry)
Louis E. Brus (chemistry)
Mougi Bawendi (chemistry)

I will have to admit that the only two I knew myself without looking
up were Fosse and Karikó.
Post by Erland Sommarskog
9. What is smetana?
To quote Wikipedia: "It is a dairy product produced by souring heavy
cream. It is similar to crème fraîche". Wikipedia points out that its
cooking properties are different from crème fraîche, and, yes, I
noticed this a few weeks ago, when I used crème fraîche as a change
to smetana. Smetana is popular in central and eastern Europe.

And, yes, there was also a composer by that name. You could argue
that if I had been asking for that person, the question would have
read "Who was Smetana". (Past tense, uppercase and all that.) But,
hey, it's Christmas, so I accept it.
Post by Erland Sommarskog
10. "The Barber of Seville" is an opera by which composer?
Gioachino Rossini
Post by Erland Sommarskog
11. A few days ago, France won the women's World Championships in
handball, co-hosted by Norway, Sweden and Denmark. Handball is
not a very big sport in North America, and of 32 teams there
was only one from North America, which? Hint: it was one of
the less populous countries.
Greenland.

Stephen was both closest and furhterest away by answering Canada.
Canada can certainly not count as "one of the less populous countries",
but in the final qualification round Greenland won over Canada.

As for how come, I guess there is a Danish influence. Handball is a big
sport in all the Scandinavian countries.
Post by Erland Sommarskog
12. Name two of the main ingredients in Pesto alla genovese.
Garlic, basil, pine nuts, coarse salt and some hard cheese
like parmesan or pecorino. And of course olive oil.

Thanks to everyone for playing and I wish you all a Merry Christmas!
swp
2023-12-24 17:25:38 UTC
Post by Erland Sommarskog
Thanks to everyone for playing and I wish you all a Merry Christmas!
thank you Erland, it was fun. merry christmas!

swp
Mark Brader
2023-12-24 23:33:13 UTC
Post by Erland Sommarskog
And, yes, there was also a composer by that name. You could argue
that if I had been asking for that person, the question would have
read "Who was Smetana". (Past tense, uppercase and all that.) But,
hey, it's Christmas, so I accept it.
Oh, I wasn't expecting a point. But I accept it.
Post by Erland Sommarskog
11... Hint: it was one of the less populous countries.
Greenland.
Not a country at all! That makes it harder to guess.
--
Mark Brader | lying
Toronto | abort reply.
***@vex.net | -- random words at end of a spam message
Erland Sommarskog
2023-12-25 09:45:23 UTC
Post by Erland Sommarskog
11... Hint: it was one of the less populous countries.
Greenland.
Not a country at all! That makes it harder to guess.
Well, it has a country code... But, true, it is not independent.

I was considering this problem, but I could not think of a better
alternative that would not be too stilted or have been too much of
a hint.

And, after all, it is no news that there are national teams representing
territories that are not fully independent.
Mark Brader
2023-12-26 01:03:04 UTC
Post by Erland Sommarskog
Post by Mark Brader
Post by Erland Sommarskog
11... Hint: it was one of the less populous countries.
Greenland.
Not a country at all! That makes it harder to guess.
Well, it has a country code... But, true, it is not independent.
Not a serious complaint. After all, as somebody said, it is no news
Post by Erland Sommarskog
I was considering this problem, but I could not think of a better
alternative that would not be too stilted or have been too much of
a hint.
Since the question asked which *team*, "Hint: it was not one of the
more populous countries" would have worked this time.

The same problem arises with questions about normal teams in the major
sports, where the typical pattern is a city name followed by team name:
a few of them don't use a city name, they use a state or province or
region or even, in one case, a nickname for the city. So in writing
trivia questions and saying what's required, if you refer to the
"city name" you're being misleading if the team is one of those oddball
ones. (I sometimes say "city or other place name" in such cases.)
--
Mark Brader | "You could have a perfectly normal life, if you were simply
Toronto | willing to have a perfectly normal life."

swp
2023-12-26 16:14:36 UTC
Post by Erland Sommarskog
I was considering this problem, but I could not think of a better
alternative that would not be too stilted or have been too much of
a hint.
Since the question asked which *team*, "Hint: it was not one of the
more populous countries" would have worked this time.
The same problem arises with questions about normal teams in the major
a few of them don't use a city name, they use a state or province or
region or even, in one case, a nickname for the city. So in writing
trivia questions and saying what's required, if you refer to the
"city name" you're being misleading if the team is one of those oddball
ones. (I sometimes say "city or other place name" in such cases.)
hmmm. an interesting trivia category. professional teams playing
in the top level league of their sport in a country that don't have a city
name as part of their normal name. for example, the new york yankees
would not be in this set because they are associated with the city of
new york not the state, nor would the lehigh valley ironpigs since they
are a triple-a club and not at the top level.

of course, a lot of premier league soccer teams fall into this category
so it is a good sized set overall with lots of potential for subcategories.
swp, who left normal in the rearview mirror a long time ago
Erland Sommarskog
2023-12-26 17:08:53 UTC
Post by swp
hmmm. an interesting trivia category. professional teams playing
in the top level league of their sport in a country that don't have a city
name as part of their normal name. for example, the new york yankees
would not be in this set because they are associated with the city of
new york not the state, nor would the lehigh valley ironpigs since they
are a triple-a club and not at the top level.
It seems to me that in North America, team names are almost often on
the form Place Something, where Place is the city, state or possibly
the area.

In Europe, it's different.
Post by swp
of course, a lot of premier league soccer teams fall into this category
so it is a good sized set overall with lots of potential for
subcategories.
Some PL teams have names that associate them to a part of town, for
instance Chelsea, Everton. I don't know on the top of my head if
there are team names with no geographical connection at all.

In Sweden, we certainly have them. Last year's football champions
were Häcken ("The hedge"). One team that played a final qualification
game for the highest leauge, but lost, is Utsikten ("The view".)

There are also such teams elsewhere in Europe: Ajax (Netherlands),
Inter (Italy), Juventus (Italy), Young Boys (Switzerland or Austria).
Dan Tilque
2023-12-26 20:22:57 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
The same problem arises with questions about normal teams in the major
a few of them don't use a city name, they use a state or province or
region or even, in one case, a nickname for the city.
There's even some that use the name of a body of water: the Tampa Bay
teams. The city is just Tampa, not Tampa Bay. They use the name of the
body of water so as not to exclude fans from St Petersburg.

BTW, which is the nickname of the city? There's the Golden State
Warriors, but that's a nickname of the state, not city.
Dan Tilque
Mark Brader
2023-12-26 23:41:00 UTC
Post by Dan Tilque
Post by Mark Brader
The same problem arises with questions about normal teams in the major
a few of them don't use a city name, they use a state or province or
region or even, in one case, a nickname for the city.
There's even some that use the name of a body of water: the Tampa Bay
teams...
I consider that a region name.
Post by Dan Tilque
BTW, which is the nickname of the city? There's the Golden State
Warriors, but that's a nickname of the state, not city.
The one I had in mind was the Vegas (not Las Vegas) Golden Knights.
--
Mark Brader "Relax -- I know the procedures backwards."
Toronto "Yeah, well, that's a quick way to get killed."