QFTCIMM24 Game 2, Rounds 9-10: franchises, challenge
Mark Brader
2024-03-06 08:28:30 UTC
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2024-02-05,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation
of current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

** Game 2, Round 9 - Entertainment - Name the Franchise

A film franchise is a collection of related movies based on the
same fictional universe, or of movies that are marketed as a series.
Each of the franchises in this round consists of at least 5 movies.
For each question, you'll be told which movie in a given franchise
had the highest global box-office revenues, then you name the
movie franchise. Please note that the revenue figures have *not*
been adjusted for the substantial inflation in the price of movie
tickets over the years.

1. There have been 13 movies in this franchise. The top-grossing
movie, with global box-office revenues of $1,900,000,000 US,
is "No Way Home".

2. I'll word it more tersely from here on. 5 movies, including
"Dead Man's Chest" ($1,100,000,000 US).

3. 7 movies, including "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the
King" ($1,100,000,000 US).

4. 13 movies, including "Deadpool 2" ($786,000,000 US).
5. 27 movies, including "Skyfall" ($1,100,000,000 US).
6. 17 movies, including "The Dark Knight Rises" ($1,100,000,000 US).
7. 5 movies, including "Breaking Dawn Part 2" ($830,000,000 US).
8. 5 movies, including "Minions" ($1,200,000,000 US).
9. 5 movies, including "Catching Fire" ($865,000,000 US).
10. 7 movies, including "Fallout" ($791,000,000 US).

** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round

* A. Entertainment: Which Anderson?

A1. Which Anderson directed the movies "If...", "Britannia
Hospital", and "O Lucky Man"?

A2. Which Anderson directed the movies "Moonrise Kingdom",
"The French Dispatch", and "Asteroid City"?

* B. Art: Italian Arias

We name an aria in Italian and English; you identify *either* the
opera or the composer.

B1. "La donna è mobile" ("(The) Woman is Fickle").
B2. "Nessun dorma" ("None Shall Sleep").

* C. Science: Mathematical Indices

C1. What natural number equals 8 to the power of 0?
C2. What rational number equals 2 to the power of -1?

* D. Sports: All-Season Olympians

D1. Who competed for Canada in softball at the 2000 Summer Games,
but is better known as a five-time Winter Olympian and the
GOAT of women's hockey?

D2. Clara Hughes has won 6 Olympic medals, most of them in
speed skating. In which sport did she win two bronzes at
the 1996 Summer Games?

* E. Geography: The Equator

E1. What is the largest Asian country, in area and population,
through which the Equator passes?

E2. In which country does the Equator intersect with the east
coast of Africa?

* F. History: Bloodless Revolutions

F1. King James II was bloodlessly deposed in 1688. What's the
name of this revolution?

F2. On 1989-11-24, in response to street protests, the entire
top leadership of the Czechoslovak communist party resigned.
Democratic elections were held the following June. What was
this revolution called?
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "People say I'm a skeptic --
***@vex.net but I find that hard to believe."

Erland Sommarskog
2024-03-06 19:16:01 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
** Game 2, Round 9 - Entertainment - Name the Franchise
3. 7 movies, including "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the
King" ($1,100,000,000 US).
I'm surely missing something here, but why would the name be
anything else than "The Lord of the Rings"?
Post by Mark Brader
5. 27 movies, including "Skyfall" ($1,100,000,000 US).
James Bond
Post by Mark Brader
6. 17 movies, including "The Dark Knight Rises" ($1,100,000,000 US).
Star Wars
Post by Mark Brader
7. 5 movies, including "Breaking Dawn Part 2" ($830,000,000 US).
Breaking Dawn?
Post by Mark Brader
** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round
* A. Entertainment: Which Anderson?
A2. Which Anderson directed the movies "Moonrise Kingdom",
"The French Dispatch", and "Asteroid City"?
Wes Anderson
Post by Mark Brader
* B. Art: Italian Arias
B2. "Nessun dorma" ("None Shall Sleep").
Puccini
1
½
Post by Mark Brader
* E. Geography: The Equator
E1. What is the largest Asian country, in area and population,
through which the Equator passes?
Indonesia
Post by Mark Brader
E2. In which country does the Equator intersect with the east
coast of Africa?
Kenya
Post by Mark Brader
* F. History: Bloodless Revolutions
F1. King James II was bloodlessly deposed in 1688. What's the
name of this revolution?
The Glorious Revolution
The Velvet Revolution
Dan Blum
2024-03-06 20:23:01 UTC
Post by Erland Sommarskog
Post by Mark Brader
** Game 2, Round 9 - Entertainment - Name the Franchise
3. 7 movies, including "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the
King" ($1,100,000,000 US).
I'm surely missing something here, but why would the name be
anything else than "The Lord of the Rings"?
Because three of the movies were based on The Hobbit, which is a
different book (I am not sure what the seventh movie is).

However, I don't love the question since I don't know of an official
name for the franchise.
Dan Blum ***@panix.com
Erland Sommarskog
2024-03-06 20:29:45 UTC
Post by Dan Blum
Post by Erland Sommarskog
Post by Mark Brader
** Game 2, Round 9 - Entertainment - Name the Franchise
3. 7 movies, including "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the
King" ($1,100,000,000 US).
I'm surely missing something here, but why would the name be
anything else than "The Lord of the Rings"?
Because three of the movies were based on The Hobbit, which is a
different book (I am not sure what the seventh movie is).
OK. Just goes to shows who clueless I am. I know that there is this
big fat book (or books) about some ring that some of my classmates read
when I was in secondary school, but I've never read them myself, and I
never saw the movies.
Dan Blum
2024-03-06 20:21:23 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
** Game 2, Round 9 - Entertainment - Name the Franchise
1. There have been 13 movies in this franchise. The top-grossing
movie, with global box-office revenues of $1,900,000,000 US,
is "No Way Home".
Spider-Man
Post by Mark Brader
2. I'll word it more tersely from here on. 5 movies, including
"Dead Man's Chest" ($1,100,000,000 US).
Pirates of the Caribbean
Post by Mark Brader
3. 7 movies, including "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the
King" ($1,100,000,000 US).
Middle-Earth
Post by Mark Brader
4. 13 movies, including "Deadpool 2" ($786,000,000 US).
X-Men
Post by Mark Brader
6. 17 movies, including "The Dark Knight Rises" ($1,100,000,000 US).
Batman
Post by Mark Brader
7. 5 movies, including "Breaking Dawn Part 2" ($830,000,000 US).
Twilight
Post by Mark Brader
8. 5 movies, including "Minions" ($1,200,000,000 US).
Despicable Me
Post by Mark Brader
9. 5 movies, including "Catching Fire" ($865,000,000 US).
Hunger Games
Post by Mark Brader
10. 7 movies, including "Fallout" ($791,000,000 US).
Mission: Impossible
Post by Mark Brader
** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round
* A. Entertainment: Which Anderson?
A2. Which Anderson directed the movies "Moonrise Kingdom",
"The French Dispatch", and "Asteroid City"?
Wes Anderson
Post by Mark Brader
* B. Art: Italian Arias
B1. "La donna ? mobile" ("(The) Woman is Fickle").
Verdi
Post by Mark Brader
B2. "Nessun dorma" ("None Shall Sleep").
Fidelio
Post by Mark Brader
C2. What rational number equals 2 to the power of -1?
1/2
Post by Mark Brader
E2. In which country does the Equator intersect with the east
coast of Africa?
Somalia
Post by Mark Brader
* F. History: Bloodless Revolutions
F1. King James II was bloodlessly deposed in 1688. What's the
name of this revolution?
Glorious Revolution
Post by Mark Brader
F2. On 1989-11-24, in response to street protests, the entire
top leadership of the Czechoslovak communist party resigned.
Democratic elections were held the following June. What was
this revolution called?
Velvet Revolution
Dan Blum ***@panix.com
swp
2024-03-06 21:21:35 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2024-02-05,
and should be interpreted accordingly.
... tap tap tap ... is this thing on?
Post by Mark Brader
2. I'll word it more tersely from here on. 5 movies, including
"Dead Man's Chest" ($1,100,000,000 US).
pirates of the caribbean
Post by Mark Brader
4. 13 movies, including "Deadpool 2" ($786,000,000 US).
x-men
Post by Mark Brader
5. 27 movies, including "Skyfall" ($1,100,000,000 US).
james bond
Post by Mark Brader
6. 17 movies, including "The Dark Knight Rises" ($1,100,000,000 US).
batman
Post by Mark Brader
7. 5 movies, including "Breaking Dawn Part 2" ($830,000,000 US).
twilighrt saga
Post by Mark Brader
8. 5 movies, including "Minions" ($1,200,000,000 US).
despicable me
Post by Mark Brader
9. 5 movies, including "Catching Fire" ($865,000,000 US).
hunger games
Post by Mark Brader
10. 7 movies, including "Fallout" ($791,000,000 US).
mission: impossible
Post by Mark Brader
** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round
hmmm. no warningg to give the full name. but let's pretend we can read
minds and assume they want the first name only.
Post by Mark Brader
* A. Entertainment: Which Anderson?
A1. Which Anderson directed the movies "If...", "Britannia
Hospital", and "O Lucky Man"?
lindsay
Post by Mark Brader
A2. Which Anderson directed the movies "Moonrise Kingdom",
"The French Dispatch", and "Asteroid City"?
wes
Post by Mark Brader
* B. Art: Italian Arias
We name an aria in Italian and English; you identify *either* the
opera or the composer.
B1. "La donna è mobile" ("(The) Woman is Fickle").
rigoletto ; giuseppe verdi
Post by Mark Brader
B2. "Nessun dorma" ("None Shall Sleep")
turandot [I got to hear Pavarroti sing it]
Post by Mark Brader
C2. What rational number equals 2 to the power of -1?
one half
Post by Mark Brader
* D. Sports: All-Season Olympians
D1. Who competed for Canada in softball at the 2000 Summer Games,
but is better known as a five-time Winter Olympian and the
GOAT of women's hockey?
cami granato
Post by Mark Brader
D2. Clara Hughes has won 6 Olympic medals, most of them in
speed skating. In which sport did she win two bronzes at
the 1996 Summer Games?
cycling
Post by Mark Brader
* E. Geography: The Equator
E1. What is the largest Asian country, in area and population,
through which the Equator passes?
indonesia
Post by Mark Brader
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "People say I'm a skeptic --
swp
Joshua Kreitzer
2024-03-07 01:49:56 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
7. 5 movies, including "Breaking Dawn Part 2" ($830,000,000 US).
The Twilight Saga
Post by Mark Brader
9. 5 movies, including "Catching Fire" ($865,000,000 US).
The Hunger Games
Post by Mark Brader
** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round
* A. Entertainment: Which Anderson?
A1. Which Anderson directed the movies "If...", "Britannia
Hospital", and "O Lucky Man"?
Lindsay Anderson
Post by Mark Brader
C2. What rational number equals 2 to the power of -1?
0.5

***@hotmail.com
Pete Gayde
2024-03-07 06:33:39 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
[...]
Fast and Furious
Post by Mark Brader
3. 7 movies, including "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the
King" ($1,100,000,000 US).
The Lord of the Rings
Post by Mark Brader
4. 13 movies, including "Deadpool 2" ($786,000,000 US).
Marvel Comic Universe
Post by Mark Brader
10. 7 movies, including "Fallout" ($791,000,000 US).
** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round
* A. Entertainment: Which Anderson?
A1. Which Anderson directed the movies "If...", "Britannia
Hospital", and "O Lucky Man"?
A2. Which Anderson directed the movies "Moonrise Kingdom",
"The French Dispatch", and "Asteroid City"?
Wes
0
Post by Mark Brader
* D. Sports: All-Season Olympians
D1. Who competed for Canada in softball at the 2000 Summer Games,
but is better known as a five-time Winter Olympian and the
GOAT of women's hockey?
Hayley Wickenheiser
Post by Mark Brader
E2. In which country does the Equator intersect with the east
coast of Africa?
Somalia; Tanzania
Pete Gayde
Dan Tilque
2024-03-07 08:56:06 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
3. 7 movies, including "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the
King" ($1,100,000,000 US).
Lord of the Rings
Post by Mark Brader
4. 13 movies, including "Deadpool 2" ($786,000,000 US).
Marvel Cinematic Universe
Post by Mark Brader
5. 27 movies, including "Skyfall" ($1,100,000,000 US).
6. 17 movies, including "The Dark Knight Rises" ($1,100,000,000 US).
DC Extended Universe
Post by Mark Brader
C2. What rational number equals 2 to the power of -1?
.5
Post by Mark Brader
* D. Sports: All-Season Olympians
D1. Who competed for Canada in softball at the 2000 Summer Games,
but is better known as a five-time Winter Olympian and the
GOAT of women's hockey?
D2. Clara Hughes has won 6 Olympic medals, most of them in
speed skating. In which sport did she win two bronzes at
the 1996 Summer Games?
* E. Geography: The Equator
E1. What is the largest Asian country, in area and population,
through which the Equator passes?
Republic of the Congo
Post by Mark Brader
E2. In which country does the Equator intersect with the east
coast of Africa?
Tanzania
Dan Tilque
Mark Brader
2024-03-11 02:00:38 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2024-02-05,
and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information
please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
Game 2 is over and the winner is JOSHUA KREITZER. Hearty
congratulations!
Post by Mark Brader
** Game 2, Round 9 - Entertainment - Name the Franchise
A film franchise is a collection of related movies based on the
same fictional universe, or of movies that are marketed as a series.
Each of the franchises in this round consists of at least 5 movies.
For each question, you'll be told which movie in a given franchise
had the highest global box-office revenues, then you name the
movie franchise. Please note that the revenue figures have *not*
been adjusted for the substantial inflation in the price of movie
tickets over the years.
1. There have been 13 movies in this franchise. The top-grossing
movie, with global box-office revenues of $1,900,000,000 US,
is "No Way Home".
"Spider-Man". 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, and Joshua.
Post by Mark Brader
2. I'll word it more tersely from here on. 5 movies, including
"Dead Man's Chest" ($1,100,000,000 US).
"Pirates of the Caribbean". 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, Joshua, Pete,
and Dan Tilque.
Post by Mark Brader
3. 7 movies, including "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the
King" ($1,100,000,000 US).
"Middle-Earth". 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, and Joshua.
Post by Mark Brader
4. 13 movies, including "Deadpool 2" ($786,000,000 US).
"X-Men". 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, and Joshua.
Post by Mark Brader
5. 27 movies, including "Skyfall" ($1,100,000,000 US).
"James Bond". 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Stephen, Joshua, and Pete.
Post by Mark Brader
6. 17 movies, including "The Dark Knight Rises" ($1,100,000,000 US).
"Batman". 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, Joshua, and Pete.
Post by Mark Brader
7. 5 movies, including "Breaking Dawn Part 2" ($830,000,000 US).
The "Twilight" saga. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, Joshua, and Pete.
Post by Mark Brader
8. 5 movies, including "Minions" ($1,200,000,000 US).
"Despicable Me". 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, and Joshua.
Post by Mark Brader
9. 5 movies, including "Catching Fire" ($865,000,000 US).
"The Hunger Games". 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, Joshua, and Pete.
Post by Mark Brader
10. 7 movies, including "Fallout" ($791,000,000 US).
"Mission: Impossible". 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, and Joshua.
Post by Mark Brader
** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round
* A. Entertainment: Which Anderson?
A1. Which Anderson directed the movies "If...", "Britannia
Hospital", and "O Lucky Man"?
Lindsay. 4 for Stephen and Joshua.
Post by Mark Brader
A2. Which Anderson directed the movies "Moonrise Kingdom",
"The French Dispatch", and "Asteroid City"?
Wes(ley). 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Stephen, Joshua, and Pete.
Post by Mark Brader
* B. Art: Italian Arias
We name an aria in Italian and English; you identify *either* the
opera or the composer.
B1. "La donna è mobile" ("(The) Woman is Fickle").
"Rigoletto" by Giuseppe Verdi. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen (the hard
way), Joshua, and Pete.
Post by Mark Brader
B2. "Nessun dorma" ("None Shall Sleep").
"Turandot" by Giacamo Puccini. 4 for Erland, Stephen, and Pete.
Post by Mark Brader
* C. Science: Mathematical Indices
C1. What natural number equals 8 to the power of 0?
1. 4 for everyone -- Erland, Dan Blum, Stephen, Joshua, Pete,
and Dan Tilque.
Post by Mark Brader
C2. What rational number equals 2 to the power of -1?
1/2. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Stephen, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.
Post by Mark Brader
* D. Sports: All-Season Olympians
D1. Who competed for Canada in softball at the 2000 Summer Games,
but is better known as a five-time Winter Olympian and the
GOAT of women's hockey?
Hayley Wickenheiser. 4 for Pete.
Post by Mark Brader
D2. Clara Hughes has won 6 Olympic medals, most of them in
speed skating. In which sport did she win two bronzes at
the 1996 Summer Games?
Cycling. 4 for Stephen and Joshua.
Post by Mark Brader
* E. Geography: The Equator
E1. What is the largest Asian country, in area and population,
through which the Equator passes?
Indonesia. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Stephen, Joshua, and Pete.
Post by Mark Brader
E2. In which country does the Equator intersect with the east
coast of Africa?
Somalia. 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen. 3 for Pete.
Post by Mark Brader
* F. History: Bloodless Revolutions
F1. King James II was bloodlessly deposed in 1688. What's the
name of this revolution?
The Glorious Revolution. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Stephen, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.
Post by Mark Brader
F2. On 1989-11-24, in response to street protests, the entire
top leadership of the Czechoslovak communist party resigned.
Democratic elections were held the following June. What was
this revolution called?
The Velvet (or Gentle) Revolution. 4 for everyone.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 2 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Geo Lit His Sci Can Spo Ent Cha SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 35 40 28 31 4 24 40 36 210
Dan Blum 36 28 24 28 4 24 40 32 188
Pete Gayde 20 20 28 30 4 27 20 31 156
Dan Tilque 8 8 28 32 0 36 4 16 128
Erland Sommarskog 20 12 28 11 0 24 4 28 123
Stephen Perry -- -- -- -- -- -- 40 44 84
--
Mark Brader "Outside of nearly having two head-on collisions,
***@vex.net we found driving in England to be fairly easy."