QFTCI23 Current Events Games 1-2
Mark Brader
2023-09-26 06:09:26 UTC
Now begins the Current Events game from the Usual Suspects' season
(indicated by QFTCI and the year but without a team abbreviation).

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
indicated, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers
have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to give
the answers that were correct on that date.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

* Game 1 (2023-09-18), Round 1 - Current Events

1. The federal government has ordered Rogers to provide BCE and
Telus access to its TTC wireless network by what date?

2. Which legendary rock band was forced to postpone the Toronto
stop on their farewell tour because of the vocal cord problems
of their 75-year-old front man?

3. In which city did the federal Liberals hold their recent
caucus retreat?

4. Which Canadian MP testified before a US Congressional committee
last week on the topic of foreign interference in the political
process?

5. Last week Apple unveiled the iPhone 15, but around the same time,
which country ordered the company to stop distributing the
iPhone 12 because of alleged high radiation emissions?

6. Name the acclaimed 1984 concert *film* that, after a 4K
restoration, was shown at the recent Toronto International
Film Festival, also bringing together the band for a rare and
perhaps uncomfortable reunion.

7. Last week a Canadian bank effectively gave up its attempt to put
itself up for sale with the end of a strategic review.
Which bank?

8. The Toronto Blue Jays' run for a playoff spot was dealt a severe
blow last week by a 4-game sweep at the Rogers Centre at the
hands of which opponent?

9. Name the hurricane, by then downgraded to a post-tropical storm,
that hit the Atlantic provinces on the weekend.

10. Which Canadian newspaper chain is headed into bankruptcy
protection, leading to 70 weekly papers becoming digital-only?

* Game 2 (2023-09-25), Round 1 - Current Events

1. Who is the *subject* of the film that won the *People's Choice
documentary award* at TIFF this year?

2. Who was removed from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame board
of directors for comments that appeared to disparage black and
female musicians?

3. Mike Babcock resigned as coach of his latest (and perhaps last)
NHL team, before a single game was played this season.
Which team? (City or team name.)

4. The former CEO of which Canadian corporation is returning to
the job following the resignations of the most recent CEO and
the president, and turmoil in the board of directors?

5. The Superior Court of Ontario dismissed a Charter challenge
last week to the laws governing what activity?

6. Name the Sikh activist whose murder in June in Surrey, BC,
has been attributed to agents of the government of India.

7. Which media mogul announced his retirement last week, turning
over his businesses to his son Lachlan?

8. The Ontario provincial cabinet lost two more ministers last
week, one in the fallout from the Greenbelt scandal, the other
for personal reasons. Name either ex-minister.

9. The US Marine Corps temporarily lost track of what large piece
of equipment last week?

10. Why did the TTC invite people to a celebration on Saturday
afternoon?
--
Mark Brader "Relax -- I know the procedures backwards."
Toronto "Yeah, well, that's a quick way to get killed."

Joshua Kreitzer
2023-09-26 13:35:14 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 1 (2023-09-18), Round 1 - Current Events
6. Name the acclaimed 1984 concert *film* that, after a 4K
restoration, was shown at the recent Toronto International
Film Festival, also bringing together the band for a rare and
perhaps uncomfortable reunion.
"Stop Making Sense"
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 2 (2023-09-25), Round 1 - Current Events
2. Who was removed from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame board
of directors for comments that appeared to disparage black and
female musicians?
Jann Wenner
Post by Mark Brader
7. Which media mogul announced his retirement last week, turning
over his businesses to his son Lachlan?
Rupert Murdoch
Post by Mark Brader
9. The US Marine Corps temporarily lost track of what large piece
of equipment last week?
an airplane

--
Joshua Kreitzer
***@hotmail.com
Erland Sommarskog
2023-09-26 18:11:53 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 1 (2023-09-18), Round 1 - Current Events
1. The federal government has ordered Rogers to provide BCE and
Telus access to its TTC wireless network by what date?
2024-01-01
Post by Mark Brader
2. Which legendary rock band was forced to postpone the Toronto
stop on their farewell tour because of the vocal cord problems
of their 75-year-old front man?
Aerosmith
Post by Mark Brader
5. Last week Apple unveiled the iPhone 15, but around the same time,
which country ordered the company to stop distributing the
iPhone 12 because of alleged high radiation emissions?
China
Post by Mark Brader
6. Name the acclaimed 1984 concert *film* that, after a 4K
restoration, was shown at the recent Toronto International
Film Festival, also bringing together the band for a rare and
perhaps uncomfortable reunion.
Stop Making Sense
Post by Mark Brader
9. Name the hurricane, by then downgraded to a post-tropical storm,
that hit the Atlantic provinces on the weekend.
Daniel

(OK, that was elsewhere, but Daniel did cause quite som mess.)
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 2 (2023-09-25), Round 1 - Current Events
3. Mike Babcock resigned as coach of his latest (and perhaps last)
NHL team, before a single game was played this season.
Which team? (City or team name.)
Carolina Hurricanes?
Post by Mark Brader
9. The US Marine Corps temporarily lost track of what large piece
of equipment last week?
An F-25 airplane
All trains had been on time for the whole working week!
Dan Blum
2023-09-26 22:36:06 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 1 (2023-09-18), Round 1 - Current Events
2. Which legendary rock band was forced to postpone the Toronto
stop on their farewell tour because of the vocal cord problems
of their 75-year-old front man?
Rush
Post by Mark Brader
9. Name the hurricane, by then downgraded to a post-tropical storm,
that hit the Atlantic provinces on the weekend.
Lee
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 2 (2023-09-25), Round 1 - Current Events
2. Who was removed from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame board
of directors for comments that appeared to disparage black and
female musicians?
Wenner
Post by Mark Brader
9. The US Marine Corps temporarily lost track of what large piece
of equipment last week?
F-35
Dan Blum ***@panix.com
swp
2023-09-26 23:14:36 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
Now begins the Current Events game from the Usual Suspects' season
(indicated by QFTCI and the year but without a team abbreviation).
these are confusing times we live in
Post by Mark Brader
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
indicated, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers
have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to give
the answers that were correct on that date.
ah yes, I remember September 18th like it was just last week.
Post by Mark Brader
Please post all your answers in a single follow up to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.
'follow up' is two words, not one. it's mentally exhausting to have to correct this each time, even if just in my own head. it's our job to mentally exhaust Mark not the other way around.
Post by Mark Brader
All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".
as always, I will guess which ones you wrote. and be wrong 90% of the time which is why I never say which out loud.
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 1 (2023-09-18), Round 1 - Current Events
1. The federal government has ordered Rogers to provide BCE and
Telus access to its TTC wireless network by what date?
october 3rd [because it's a week from today]
Post by Mark Brader
2. Which legendary rock band was forced to postpone the Toronto
stop on their farewell tour because of the vocal cord problems
of their 75-year-old front man?
aerosmith
Post by Mark Brader
3. In which city did the federal Liberals hold their recent
caucus retreat?
london [the canadian one not the british one]
Post by Mark Brader
4. Which Canadian MP testified before a US Congressional committee
last week on the topic of foreign interference in the political
process?
mike chong
Post by Mark Brader
5. Last week Apple unveiled the iPhone 15, but around the same time,
which country ordered the company to stop distributing the
iPhone 12 because of alleged high radiation emissions?
france
Post by Mark Brader
6. Name the acclaimed 1984 concert *film* that, after a 4K
restoration, was shown at the recent Toronto International
Film Festival, also bringing together the band for a rare and
perhaps uncomfortable reunion.
stop making sense
Post by Mark Brader
7. Last week a Canadian bank effectively gave up its attempt to put
itself up for sale with the end of a strategic review.
Which bank?
brader federal savings bank
Post by Mark Brader
8. The Toronto Blue Jays' run for a playoff spot was dealt a severe
blow last week by a 4-game sweep at the Rogers Centre at the
hands of which opponent?
texas rangers [followed by a 5 game win streak]
Post by Mark Brader
9. Name the hurricane, by then downgraded to a post-tropical storm,
that hit the Atlantic provinces on the weekend.
lee [not named after stan]
Post by Mark Brader
10. Which Canadian newspaper chain is headed into bankruptcy
protection, leading to 70 weekly papers becoming digital-only?
all of them
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 2 (2023-09-25), Round 1 - Current Events
1. Who is the *subject* of the film that won the *People's Choice
documentary award* at TIFF this year?
ernie coombs
Post by Mark Brader
2. Who was removed from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame board
of directors for comments that appeared to disparage black and
female musicians?
jan wenner [cofounder of rolling stone]
Post by Mark Brader
3. Mike Babcock resigned as coach of his latest (and perhaps last)
NHL team, before a single game was played this season.
Which team? (City or team name.)
colombus blue jackets
Post by Mark Brader
4. The former CEO of which Canadian corporation is returning to
the job following the resignations of the most recent CEO and
the president, and turmoil in the board of directors?
heather reisman [of indigo books and music]
Post by Mark Brader
5. The Superior Court of Ontario dismissed a Charter challenge
last week to the laws governing what activity?
sex
Post by Mark Brader
6. Name the Sikh activist whose murder in June in Surrey, BC,
has been attributed to agents of the government of India.
kumar ; sharma
Post by Mark Brader
7. Which media mogul announced his retirement last week, turning
over his businesses to his son Lachlan?
murdoch [not the macgyver villain. or is he?]
Post by Mark Brader
8. The Ontario provincial cabinet lost two more ministers last
week, one in the fallout from the Greenbelt scandal, the other
for personal reasons. Name either ex-minister.
johnson ; africa
Post by Mark Brader
9. The US Marine Corps temporarily lost track of what large piece
of equipment last week?
f-35 fighter jet
Post by Mark Brader
10. Why did the TTC invite people to a celebration on Saturday
afternoon?
line 3 is now closed [this has nothing to do with a recent question about line colors, but that did contribute to this guess]
swp, who is watching the Cubs/braves game preshow and wondering if atlanta will let the Cubs win so the weaker team in a very tight playoff race gets in
Mark Brader
2023-09-27 00:04:05 UTC
Post by swp
...Please post all your answers in a single follow up to the newsgroup,
'follow up' is two words, not one.
So it is, but I wrote "followup", the noun, which is one word, and
Stephen is misquoting me above.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "I tried to hit Bjarne Stroustrup with a snowball,
***@vex.net | but missed." --Clive Feather
swp
2023-09-27 02:16:42 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
Post by swp
...Please post all your answers in a single follow up to the newsgroup,
'follow up' is two words, not one.
So it is, but I wrote "followup", the noun, which is one word, and
Stephen is misquoting me above.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "I tried to hit Bjarne Stroustrup with a snowball,
my google search shows the noun as a hyphenated word. but that's just me trying to mentally exhaust Mark.

and per my 8th grade yearbook quote, bad analogies are like corn.

swp
Mark Brader
2023-09-27 05:14:31 UTC
Post by swp
...I wrote "followup", the noun, which is one word...
my google search shows the noun as a hyphenated word.
It can be that too. Hyphens tend to disappear over time.
Post by swp
but that's just me trying to mentally exhaust Mark.
I don't much care what you do mentally. :-)
Post by swp
and per my 8th grade yearbook quote, bad analogies are like corn.
See below.
--
Mark Brader | "One must scythe the thickets of metaphor
Toronto | if one wishes to harvest the grain of reason."
***@vex.net | --Robert Ludlum
Pete Gayde
2023-09-27 13:04:48 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
[...]
Australia
Post by Mark Brader
6. Name the acclaimed 1984 concert *film* that, after a 4K
restoration, was shown at the recent Toronto International
Film Festival, also bringing together the band for a rare and
perhaps uncomfortable reunion.
7. Last week a Canadian bank effectively gave up its attempt to put
itself up for sale with the end of a strategic review.
Which bank?
8. The Toronto Blue Jays' run for a playoff spot was dealt a severe
blow last week by a 4-game sweep at the Rogers Centre at the
hands of which opponent?
Houston; Seattle
Post by Mark Brader
3. Mike Babcock resigned as coach of his latest (and perhaps last)
NHL team, before a single game was played this season.
Which team? (City or team name.)
Columbus; Nashville
Post by Mark Brader
8. The Ontario provincial cabinet lost two more ministers last
week, one in the fallout from the Greenbelt scandal, the other
for personal reasons. Name either ex-minister.
9. The US Marine Corps temporarily lost track of what large piece
of equipment last week?
Jet plane
Pete Gayde
Dan Tilque
2023-09-28 23:46:16 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 1 (2023-09-18), Round 1 - Current Events
1. The federal government has ordered Rogers to provide BCE and
Telus access to its TTC wireless network by what date?
2. Which legendary rock band was forced to postpone the Toronto
stop on their farewell tour because of the vocal cord problems
of their 75-year-old front man?
Rolling Stones

(total WAG)
Post by Mark Brader
3. In which city did the federal Liberals hold their recent
caucus retreat?
4. Which Canadian MP testified before a US Congressional committee
last week on the topic of foreign interference in the political
process?
5. Last week Apple unveiled the iPhone 15, but around the same time,
which country ordered the company to stop distributing the
iPhone 12 because of alleged high radiation emissions?
Japan; S Korea
Post by Mark Brader
6. Name the acclaimed 1984 concert *film* that, after a 4K
restoration, was shown at the recent Toronto International
Film Festival, also bringing together the band for a rare and
perhaps uncomfortable reunion.
This is Spinal Tap
Post by Mark Brader
7. Last week a Canadian bank effectively gave up its attempt to put
itself up for sale with the end of a strategic review.
Which bank?
8. The Toronto Blue Jays' run for a playoff spot was dealt a severe
blow last week by a 4-game sweep at the Rogers Centre at the
hands of which opponent?
9. Name the hurricane, by then downgraded to a post-tropical storm,
that hit the Atlantic provinces on the weekend.
Ophelia
Post by Mark Brader
[...]
Najjar
Dan Tilque
Mark Brader
2023-09-29 05:24:54 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
indicated, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers
have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to give the
answers that were correct on that date... For further information
please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
* Game 1 (2023-09-18), Round 1 - Current Events
1. The federal government has ordered Rogers to provide BCE and
Telus access to its TTC wireless network by what date?
2023-10-03. 4 for Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
2. Which legendary rock band was forced to postpone the Toronto
stop on their farewell tour because of the vocal cord problems
of their 75-year-old front man?
Aerosmith. (Steven Tyler.) 4 for Erland and Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
3. In which city did the federal Liberals hold their recent
caucus retreat?
London (Ontario). 4 for Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
4. Which Canadian MP testified before a US Congressional committee
last week on the topic of foreign interference in the political
process?
Michael Chong. 4 for Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
5. Last week Apple unveiled the iPhone 15, but around the same time,
which country ordered the company to stop distributing the
iPhone 12 because of alleged high radiation emissions?
France. 4 for Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
6. Name the acclaimed 1984 concert *film* that, after a 4K
restoration, was shown at the recent Toronto International
Film Festival, also bringing together the band for a rare and
perhaps uncomfortable reunion.
"Stop Making Sense". (The band: Talking Heads.) 4 for Joshua,
Erland, Dan Blum, and Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
7. Last week a Canadian bank effectively gave up its attempt to put
itself up for sale with the end of a strategic review.
Which bank?
Laurentian Bank.
Post by Mark Brader
8. The Toronto Blue Jays' run for a playoff spot was dealt a severe
blow last week by a 4-game sweep at the Rogers Centre at the
hands of which opponent?
Texas Rangers. (Either word is sufficient.) 4 for Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
9. Name the hurricane, by then downgraded to a post-tropical storm,
that hit the Atlantic provinces on the weekend.
Lee. 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
10. Which Canadian newspaper chain is headed into bankruptcy
protection, leading to 70 weekly papers becoming digital-only?
Metroland.

(Not Nordstar -- that's the parent company, which also owns the
Toronto Star.)
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 2 (2023-09-25), Round 1 - Current Events
1. Who is the *subject* of the film that won the *People's Choice
documentary award* at TIFF this year?
Mr. Dressup -- Ernie Coombs (accepting either). 4 for Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
2. Who was removed from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame board
of directors for comments that appeared to disparage black and
female musicians?
Jann Wenner. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Pete.
Post by Mark Brader
3. Mike Babcock resigned as coach of his latest (and perhaps last)
NHL team, before a single game was played this season.
Which team? (City or team name.)
Columbus Blue Jackets. 4 for Stephen. 3 for Pete.
Post by Mark Brader
4. The former CEO of which Canadian corporation is returning to
the job following the resignations of the most recent CEO and
the president, and turmoil in the board of directors?
Indigo. Stephen knew it but answered the wrong question.
Post by Mark Brader
5. The Superior Court of Ontario dismissed a Charter challenge
last week to the laws governing what activity?
Sex work (prostitution). "Sex" was not specific enough.
Post by Mark Brader
6. Name the Sikh activist whose murder in June in Surrey, BC,
has been attributed to agents of the government of India.
Hardeep Singh *Nijjar*.
Post by Mark Brader
7. Which media mogul announced his retirement last week, turning
over his businesses to his son Lachlan?
Rupert Murdoch. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Stephen, and Pete.

Dan_Tilque said "Najjar", as if he meant to give that answer on #6.
Post by Mark Brader
8. The Ontario provincial cabinet lost two more ministers last
week, one in the fallout from the Greenbelt scandal, the other
for personal reasons. Name either ex-minister.
Monte McNaughton, Kaleed Rasheed.

(Not Steve Clark: he left a couple of weeks ago.)
Post by Mark Brader
9. The US Marine Corps temporarily lost track of what large piece
of equipment last week?
An F-35 fighter jet. (Any reference to a plane was sufficient.)
4 for everyone -- Joshua, Erland, Dan Blum, Stephen, Pete,
and Dan Tilque.
Post by Mark Brader
10. Why did the TTC invite people to a celebration on Saturday
afternoon?
To say goodbye to the Scarborough RT (lately named Line 3
Scarborough) after 38 years of operation. 4 for Stephen.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAMES-> 1 2 TOTALS
Stephen Perry 32 24 56
Dan Blum 8 8 16
Joshua Kreitzer 4 12 16
Erland Sommarskog 8 8 16
Pete Gayde 0 15 15
Dan Tilque 0 4 4
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "I'm not entirely convinced 115 is prime."
***@vex.net | --Patrick Hamlyn