QFTCI23 Game 3, Rounds 4-6: plates, inaugurals, unrelated
Mark Brader
2023-10-29 04:56:10 UTC
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-10-02,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

I wrote two of these rounds.

* Game 3, Round 4 - Geography - US State License Plates

We've had beers and bears, so now how about a round on bores? Well,
maybe that would be too boring.

So instead, please see the handout:

http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g3r4/plat.pdf

and simply identify each US state from the plate and the slogan.

I've sorted the round in order by the handout. There were two
decoys, which are now interspersed with the questions: answer them
if you like for fun, but for no points.

1 (decoy). The Last Frontier.
2. Live Free or Die.
3. Great Faces, Great Places
4. Wild, Wonderful.
5. The Natural State.
6. Ocean State.
7 (decoy). First in Flight.
8. The First State.
9. Land of Enchantment.
10. Life Elevated.
11. Constitution State.
12. Native America.

* Game 3, Round 5 - Audio - The Inaugural Address

Yes, it's an audio round without the audio. In the original game,
of course, a clip of the speech was played. Here you will have
a transcript of each clip.

The last round was US states, and this one is US presidents.
On each question, name the president who is speaking at his
inauguration after being newly elected. For fun, you may also
mention the year of the speech, but it's not part of your answer.
If two presidents have had the same surname, you must disambiguate
appropriately.

1. "We will build our defenses beyond challenge, lest weakness
invite challenge. We will confront weapons of mass destruction,
so that a new century is spared new horrors. The enemies
of liberty and our country should make no mistake: America
remains engaged in the world, by history and by choice, shaping
a balance of power that favors freedom."

2. "Through a crucible for the ages America has been tested anew,
and America has risen to the challenge. Today we celebrate
the triumph not of a candidate, but of a cause, the cause of
democracy. The people -- the will of the people has been heard,
and the will of the people has been heeded. We've learned again
that democracy is precious, democracy is fragile. At this
hour, my friends, democracy has prevailed."

3. "There is no longer a clear division between what is foreign
and what is domestic. The world economy, the world environment,
the world AIDS crisis, the world arms race: they affect us all.
Today, as an old order passes, the new world is more free
but less stable. Communism's collapse has called forth old
animosities and new dangers. Clearly, America must continue
to lead the world we did so much to make."

4. "But we have no promise from God that our greatness will endure.
We have been allowed by Him to seek greatness with the sweat
of our hands and the strength of our spirit. I do not believe
that the Great Society is the ordered, changeless, and sterile
battalion of the ants. It is the excitement of becoming -- always
becoming..."

5. "For we know that our patchwork heritage is a strength, not
a weakness. We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and
Hindus -- and nonbelievers. We are shaped by every language and
culture, drawn from every end of this Earth. And because we have
tasted the bitter swill of civil war and segregation and emerged
from that dark chapter stronger and more united, we cannot help
but believe that the old hatreds shall someday pass..."

6. "This is preeminently the time to speak the truth, the whole
truth, frankly and boldly. Nor need we shrink from honestly
facing conditions in our country today. This great nation
will endure as it has endured, will revive and will prosper.
So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only
thing we have to fear is -- fear itself."

7. "...both sides overburdened by the cost of modern weapons, both
rightly alarmed by the steady spread of the deadly atom, yet both
racing to alter that uncertain balance of terror that stays the
hand of mankind's final war. So let us begin anew, remembering
on both sides that civility is not a sign of weakness, and
sincerity is always subject to proof. Let us never negotiate
out of fear. But let us never fear to negotiate."

8. "The economic ills we suffer have come upon us over several
decades. They will not go away in days, weeks, or months, but
they will go away. They will go away because we as Americans
have the capacity now, as we've had in the past, to do whatever
needs to be done to preserve this last and greatest bastion
of freedom. In this present crisis, government is not the
solution to our problem; government is the problem."

9. "Together, we will determine the course of America and the world
for many, many years to come. We will face challenges, we will
confront hardships, but we will get the job done. Every 4 years,
we gather on these steps to carry out the orderly and peaceful
transfer of power..."

10. "I have taken an oath today in the presence of God and my
countrymen to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United
States. And to that oath I now add this sacred commitment:
I shall consecrate my Office, my energies, and all the wisdom
I can summon to the cause of peace among nations. Let this
message be heard by strong and weak alike..."

* Game 3, Round 6 - Entertainment - Not Related To

For each question we will describe two celebrities, mostly actors
and actresses, who go by the same surname. It may or may not be
their real name, but in any case, they are not related. We will
always describe them in alphabetical order by first name, not that
we expect that to help you.

You must give *both their first names and their shared surname*,
like "Chris and Lyndon Johnson", but you don't have to name them
in order.

1. Her songs include "California Gurls" and "I Kissed a Girl".
He's best known for a sitcom that ran from 1994 to 2004.
To repeat, they aren't related but have the same surname;
name both.

2. The woman has appeared in 8 movies where Woody Allen either
starred or directed. The man's been in a number of superhero
movies, and he was nominated -- but didn't win -- for Best
Actor in the movie that did win Best Picture for 2014.

3. One woman is known for falling in love with a vampire; the other
publishes a magazine named after her, and has hosted two TV shows
named after her, one before and one after her prison sentence.

4. One woman starred in a Hitchcock movie where she's killed in
the first half; the other starred in, and won Best Actress for,
the Best Picture winner for 1939.

5. She was "Unfaithful Under the Tuscan Sun" -- no, wait, those
were two of her movies. He's starred in "The Producers" both
on stage (winning a Tony) and on screen.

6. These two women have 5 Best Actress Oscars between them.

7. He won an Oscar for "Training Day"; she won a TV Guide Fan
Favorite Award for "Scandal".

8. The first woman starred in "A Few Good Men", and met some bad
men in "Disclosure" and "Indecent Proposal". The second one sang
"I Wanna Be with You in My Pocket, Have a Little Faith in Me"
-- oh, sorry, those were three separate titles.

9. He played himself as the title character of a sitcom, and
currently hosts a long-running game show; she sang "All I Want
for Christmas is You", and many other songs.

10. The first man starred as a secret agent on the original "I Spy";
the second one had a recurring role as a secret agent on "JAG".
--
Mark Brader | "And I won't like [this usage] any better if you
Toronto | produce examples from Shakespeare, Milton, Johnson ...

Dan Tilque
2023-10-29 06:44:25 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
I wrote two of these rounds.
* Game 3, Round 4 - Geography - US State License Plates
We've had beers and bears, so now how about a round on bores? Well,
maybe that would be too boring.
http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g3r4/plat.pdf
and simply identify each US state from the plate and the slogan.
I've sorted the round in order by the handout. There were two
decoys, which are now interspersed with the questions: answer them
if you like for fun, but for no points.
1 (decoy). The Last Frontier.
Alaska
Post by Mark Brader
2. Live Free or Die.
New Hampshire
Post by Mark Brader
3. Great Faces, Great Places
South Dakota
Post by Mark Brader
4. Wild, Wonderful.
West Virginia
Post by Mark Brader
5. The Natural State.
Arkansas
Post by Mark Brader
6. Ocean State.
Rhode Island
Post by Mark Brader
7 (decoy). First in Flight.
North Carolina
Post by Mark Brader
8. The First State.
Delaware
Post by Mark Brader
9. Land of Enchantment.
New Mexico
Post by Mark Brader
10. Life Elevated.
Utah
Post by Mark Brader
11. Constitution State.
Connecticut
Post by Mark Brader
12. Native America.
Oklahoma
Post by Mark Brader
[...]
Obama
Post by Mark Brader
2. "Through a crucible for the ages America has been tested anew,
and America has risen to the challenge. Today we celebrate
the triumph not of a candidate, but of a cause, the cause of
democracy. The people -- the will of the people has been heard,
and the will of the people has been heeded. We've learned again
that democracy is precious, democracy is fragile. At this
hour, my friends, democracy has prevailed."
Biden
Post by Mark Brader
3. "There is no longer a clear division between what is foreign
and what is domestic. The world economy, the world environment,
the world AIDS crisis, the world arms race: they affect us all.
Today, as an old order passes, the new world is more free
but less stable. Communism's collapse has called forth old
animosities and new dangers. Clearly, America must continue
to lead the world we did so much to make."
Clinton
Post by Mark Brader
4. "But we have no promise from God that our greatness will endure.
We have been allowed by Him to seek greatness with the sweat
of our hands and the strength of our spirit. I do not believe
that the Great Society is the ordered, changeless, and sterile
battalion of the ants. It is the excitement of becoming -- always
becoming..."
Lyndon Johnson
Post by Mark Brader
5. "For we know that our patchwork heritage is a strength, not
a weakness. We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and
Hindus -- and nonbelievers. We are shaped by every language and
culture, drawn from every end of this Earth. And because we have
tasted the bitter swill of civil war and segregation and emerged
from that dark chapter stronger and more united, we cannot help
but believe that the old hatreds shall someday pass..."
G W Bush
Post by Mark Brader
6. "This is preeminently the time to speak the truth, the whole
truth, frankly and boldly. Nor need we shrink from honestly
facing conditions in our country today. This great nation
will endure as it has endured, will revive and will prosper.
So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only
thing we have to fear is -- fear itself."
Franklin Roosevelt
Post by Mark Brader
7. "...both sides overburdened by the cost of modern weapons, both
rightly alarmed by the steady spread of the deadly atom, yet both
racing to alter that uncertain balance of terror that stays the
hand of mankind's final war. So let us begin anew, remembering
on both sides that civility is not a sign of weakness, and
sincerity is always subject to proof. Let us never negotiate
out of fear. But let us never fear to negotiate."
Kennedy
Post by Mark Brader
8. "The economic ills we suffer have come upon us over several
decades. They will not go away in days, weeks, or months, but
they will go away. They will go away because we as Americans
have the capacity now, as we've had in the past, to do whatever
needs to be done to preserve this last and greatest bastion
of freedom. In this present crisis, government is not the
solution to our problem; government is the problem."
Reagan
Post by Mark Brader
9. "Together, we will determine the course of America and the world
for many, many years to come. We will face challenges, we will
confront hardships, but we will get the job done. Every 4 years,
we gather on these steps to carry out the orderly and peaceful
transfer of power..."
10. "I have taken an oath today in the presence of God and my
countrymen to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United
I shall consecrate my Office, my energies, and all the wisdom
I can summon to the cause of peace among nations. Let this
message be heard by strong and weak alike..."
Truman
Post by Mark Brader
[...]
Keaton, Diane and Michael
Post by Mark Brader
3. One woman is known for falling in love with a vampire; the other
publishes a magazine named after her, and has hosted two TV shows
named after her, one before and one after her prison sentence.
4. One woman starred in a Hitchcock movie where she's killed in
the first half; the other starred in, and won Best Actress for,
the Best Picture winner for 1939.
5. She was "Unfaithful Under the Tuscan Sun" -- no, wait, those
were two of her movies. He's starred in "The Producers" both
on stage (winning a Tony) and on screen.
6. These two women have 5 Best Actress Oscars between them.
Hepburn, Katherine and Audrey
Dan Tilque
Erland Sommarskog
2023-10-29 10:57:23 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 3, Round 4 - Geography - US State License Plates
We've had beers and bears, so now how about a round on bores? Well,
maybe that would be too boring.
http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g3r4/plat.pdf
and simply identify each US state from the plate and the slogan.
I've sorted the round in order by the handout. There were two
decoys, which are now interspersed with the questions: answer them
if you like for fun, but for no points.
2. Live Free or Die.
Alabama
Post by Mark Brader
3. Great Faces, Great Places
South Dakota
Post by Mark Brader
4. Wild, Wonderful.
Montona
Post by Mark Brader
5. The Natural State.
Idaho
Post by Mark Brader
6. Ocean State.
Virginia
Post by Mark Brader
7 (decoy). First in Flight.
North Carolina
Post by Mark Brader
8. The First State.
Vermont
Post by Mark Brader
9. Land of Enchantment.
Indiana
Post by Mark Brader
10. Life Elevated.
Colorado
Post by Mark Brader
11. Constitution State.
Pennsylvania
Post by Mark Brader
12. Native America.
North Dakota
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 3, Round 5 - Audio - The Inaugural Address
1. "We will build our defenses beyond challenge, lest weakness
invite challenge. We will confront weapons of mass destruction,
so that a new century is spared new horrors. The enemies
of liberty and our country should make no mistake: America
remains engaged in the world, by history and by choice, shaping
a balance of power that favors freedom."
Thedore Roosevelt
Post by Mark Brader
2. "Through a crucible for the ages America has been tested anew,
and America has risen to the challenge. Today we celebrate
the triumph not of a candidate, but of a cause, the cause of
democracy. The people -- the will of the people has been heard,
and the will of the people has been heeded. We've learned again
that democracy is precious, democracy is fragile. At this
hour, my friends, democracy has prevailed."
Joe Biden
Post by Mark Brader
3. "There is no longer a clear division between what is foreign
and what is domestic. The world economy, the world environment,
the world AIDS crisis, the world arms race: they affect us all.
Today, as an old order passes, the new world is more free
but less stable. Communism's collapse has called forth old
animosities and new dangers. Clearly, America must continue
to lead the world we did so much to make."
Bill Clinton
Post by Mark Brader
4. "But we have no promise from God that our greatness will endure.
We have been allowed by Him to seek greatness with the sweat
of our hands and the strength of our spirit. I do not believe
that the Great Society is the ordered, changeless, and sterile
battalion of the ants. It is the excitement of becoming -- always
becoming..."
Harry Truman
Post by Mark Brader
5. "For we know that our patchwork heritage is a strength, not
a weakness. We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and
Hindus -- and nonbelievers. We are shaped by every language and
culture, drawn from every end of this Earth. And because we have
tasted the bitter swill of civil war and segregation and emerged
from that dark chapter stronger and more united, we cannot help
but believe that the old hatreds shall someday pass..."
Barack Obama
Post by Mark Brader
6. "This is preeminently the time to speak the truth, the whole
truth, frankly and boldly. Nor need we shrink from honestly
facing conditions in our country today. This great nation
will endure as it has endured, will revive and will prosper.
So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only
thing we have to fear is -- fear itself."
Franklin D Roosevelt
Post by Mark Brader
7. "...both sides overburdened by the cost of modern weapons, both
rightly alarmed by the steady spread of the deadly atom, yet both
racing to alter that uncertain balance of terror that stays the
hand of mankind's final war. So let us begin anew, remembering
on both sides that civility is not a sign of weakness, and
sincerity is always subject to proof. Let us never negotiate
out of fear. But let us never fear to negotiate."
John F Kennedy
Post by Mark Brader
8. "The economic ills we suffer have come upon us over several
decades. They will not go away in days, weeks, or months, but
they will go away. They will go away because we as Americans
have the capacity now, as we've had in the past, to do whatever
needs to be done to preserve this last and greatest bastion
of freedom. In this present crisis, government is not the
solution to our problem; government is the problem."
Eisenhower
Post by Mark Brader
9. "Together, we will determine the course of America and the world
for many, many years to come. We will face challenges, we will
confront hardships, but we will get the job done. Every 4 years,
we gather on these steps to carry out the orderly and peaceful
transfer of power..."
Nixon
Trump
Joshua Kreitzer
2023-10-29 16:31:09 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 3, Round 4 - Geography - US State License Plates
http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g3r4/plat.pdf
and simply identify each US state from the plate and the slogan.
1 (decoy). The Last Frontier.
Alaska
Post by Mark Brader
2. Live Free or Die.
New Hampshire
Post by Mark Brader
3. Great Faces, Great Places
South Dakota
Post by Mark Brader
4. Wild, Wonderful.
West Virginia
Post by Mark Brader
5. The Natural State.
Arkansas
Post by Mark Brader
6. Ocean State.
Maryland
Post by Mark Brader
7 (decoy). First in Flight.
North Carolina
Post by Mark Brader
8. The First State.
Delaware
Post by Mark Brader
9. Land of Enchantment.
New Mexico
Post by Mark Brader
10. Life Elevated.
Utah
Post by Mark Brader
11. Constitution State.
Connecticut
Post by Mark Brader
12. Native America.
North Dakota; Oklahoma
Post by Mark Brader
[...]
Donald Trump
Post by Mark Brader
7. "...both sides overburdened by the cost of modern weapons, both
rightly alarmed by the steady spread of the deadly atom, yet both
racing to alter that uncertain balance of terror that stays the
hand of mankind's final war. So let us begin anew, remembering
on both sides that civility is not a sign of weakness, and
sincerity is always subject to proof. Let us never negotiate
out of fear. But let us never fear to negotiate."
Dwight Eisenhower
Post by Mark Brader
8. "The economic ills we suffer have come upon us over several
decades. They will not go away in days, weeks, or months, but
they will go away. They will go away because we as Americans
have the capacity now, as we've had in the past, to do whatever
needs to be done to preserve this last and greatest bastion
of freedom. In this present crisis, government is not the
solution to our problem; government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Post by Mark Brader
9. "Together, we will determine the course of America and the world
for many, many years to come. We will face challenges, we will
confront hardships, but we will get the job done. Every 4 years,
we gather on these steps to carry out the orderly and peaceful
transfer of power..."
John Kennedy; Richard Nixon
Post by Mark Brader
10. "I have taken an oath today in the presence of God and my
countrymen to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United
I shall consecrate my Office, my energies, and all the wisdom
I can summon to the cause of peace among nations. Let this
message be heard by strong and weak alike..."
Richard Nixon; John Kennedy
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 3, Round 6 - Entertainment - Not Related To
For each question we will describe two celebrities, mostly actors
and actresses, who go by the same surname. It may or may not be
their real name, but in any case, they are not related.
You must give *both their first names and their shared surname*,
like "Chris and Lyndon Johnson", but you don't have to name them
in order.
1. Her songs include "California Gurls" and "I Kissed a Girl".
He's best known for a sitcom that ran from 1994 to 2004.
To repeat, they aren't related but have the same surname;
name both.
Katy and Matthew Perry
Post by Mark Brader
2. The woman has appeared in 8 movies where Woody Allen either
starred or directed. The man's been in a number of superhero
movies, and he was nominated -- but didn't win -- for Best
Actor in the movie that did win Best Picture for 2014.
Diane and Michael Keaton
Post by Mark Brader
3. One woman is known for falling in love with a vampire; the other
publishes a magazine named after her, and has hosted two TV shows
named after her, one before and one after her prison sentence.
Kristen and Martha Stewart
(I would have changed the last two references to "her" to "herself")
Post by Mark Brader
4. One woman starred in a Hitchcock movie where she's killed in
the first half; the other starred in, and won Best Actress for,
the Best Picture winner for 1939.
Janet and Vivien Leigh
Post by Mark Brader
5. She was "Unfaithful Under the Tuscan Sun" -- no, wait, those
were two of her movies. He's starred in "The Producers" both
on stage (winning a Tony) and on screen.
Diane and Nathan Lane
Post by Mark Brader
6. These two women have 5 Best Actress Oscars between them.
Audrey and Katharine Hepburn
Post by Mark Brader
7. He won an Oscar for "Training Day"; she won a TV Guide Fan
Favorite Award for "Scandal".
Denzel and Kerry Washington
Post by Mark Brader
8. The first woman starred in "A Few Good Men", and met some bad
men in "Disclosure" and "Indecent Proposal". The second one sang
"I Wanna Be with You in My Pocket, Have a Little Faith in Me"
-- oh, sorry, those were three separate titles.
Demi and Mandy Moore
Post by Mark Brader
9. He played himself as the title character of a sitcom, and
currently hosts a long-running game show; she sang "All I Want
for Christmas is You", and many other songs.
Drew and Mariah Carey

--
Joshua Kreitzer
***@hotmail.com
Dan Blum
2023-10-30 03:49:30 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 3, Round 4 - Geography - US State License Plates
2. Live Free or Die.
New Hampshire
Post by Mark Brader
3. Great Faces, Great Places
South Dakota
Post by Mark Brader
4. Wild, Wonderful.
Colorado; Montana
Post by Mark Brader
5. The Natural State.
Idaho
Post by Mark Brader
6. Ocean State.
Rhode Island
Post by Mark Brader
8. The First State.
Delaware
Post by Mark Brader
9. Land of Enchantment.
New Mexico
Post by Mark Brader
10. Life Elevated.
Utah
Post by Mark Brader
11. Constitution State.
Connecticut
Post by Mark Brader
12. Native America.
Hawaii
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 3, Round 5 - Audio - The Inaugural Address
1. "We will build our defenses beyond challenge, lest weakness
invite challenge. We will confront weapons of mass destruction,
so that a new century is spared new horrors. The enemies
of liberty and our country should make no mistake: America
remains engaged in the world, by history and by choice, shaping
a balance of power that favors freedom."
George W. Bush; Obama
Post by Mark Brader
7. "...both sides overburdened by the cost of modern weapons, both
rightly alarmed by the steady spread of the deadly atom, yet both
racing to alter that uncertain balance of terror that stays the
hand of mankind's final war. So let us begin anew, remembering
on both sides that civility is not a sign of weakness, and
sincerity is always subject to proof. Let us never negotiate
out of fear. But let us never fear to negotiate."
George H. W. Bush
Post by Mark Brader
9. "Together, we will determine the course of America and the world
for many, many years to come. We will face challenges, we will
confront hardships, but we will get the job done. Every 4 years,
we gather on these steps to carry out the orderly and peaceful
transfer of power..."
Hoover
Post by Mark Brader
10. "I have taken an oath today in the presence of God and my
countrymen to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United
I shall consecrate my Office, my energies, and all the wisdom
I can summon to the cause of peace among nations. Let this
message be heard by strong and weak alike..."
Carter; Truman
Post by Mark Brader
3. One woman is known for falling in love with a vampire; the other
publishes a magazine named after her, and has hosted two TV shows
named after her, one before and one after her prison sentence.
Kristin and Martha Stewart
Post by Mark Brader
6. These two women have 5 Best Actress Oscars between them.
Katherine and Audrey Hepburn
Dan Blum ***@panix.com
swp
2023-10-31 12:10:20 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
[...]
Post by Mark Brader
2. Live Free or Die.
new hampshire
Post by Mark Brader
3. Great Faces, Great Places
south dakota
Post by Mark Brader
4. Wild, Wonderful.
west virginia
Post by Mark Brader
5. The Natural State.
arkansas
Post by Mark Brader
6. Ocean State.
rhode island
Post by Mark Brader
7 (decoy). First in Flight.
north carolina
Post by Mark Brader
8. The First State.
delaware
Post by Mark Brader
9. Land of Enchantment.
new mexico
Post by Mark Brader
10. Life Elevated.
utah
Post by Mark Brader
11. Constitution State.
connecticut
Post by Mark Brader
12. Native America.
oklahoma
Post by Mark Brader
[...]
george w bush
Post by Mark Brader
2. "Through a crucible for the ages America has been tested anew,
and America has risen to the challenge. Today we celebrate
the triumph not of a candidate, but of a cause, the cause of
democracy. The people -- the will of the people has been heard,
and the will of the people has been heeded. We've learned again
that democracy is precious, democracy is fragile. At this
hour, my friends, democracy has prevailed."
joe biden
Post by Mark Brader
3. "There is no longer a clear division between what is foreign
and what is domestic. The world economy, the world environment,
the world AIDS crisis, the world arms race: they affect us all.
Today, as an old order passes, the new world is more free
but less stable. Communism's collapse has called forth old
animosities and new dangers. Clearly, America must continue
to lead the world we did so much to make."
bill clinton
Post by Mark Brader
5. "For we know that our patchwork heritage is a strength, not
a weakness. We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and
Hindus -- and nonbelievers. We are shaped by every language and
culture, drawn from every end of this Earth. And because we have
tasted the bitter swill of civil war and segregation and emerged
from that dark chapter stronger and more united, we cannot help
but believe that the old hatreds shall someday pass..."
obama
Post by Mark Brader
6. "This is preeminently the time to speak the truth, the whole
truth, frankly and boldly. Nor need we shrink from honestly
facing conditions in our country today. This great nation
will endure as it has endured, will revive and will prosper.
So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only
thing we have to fear is -- fear itself."
franklin roosevelt
Post by Mark Brader
7. "...both sides overburdened by the cost of modern weapons, both
rightly alarmed by the steady spread of the deadly atom, yet both
racing to alter that uncertain balance of terror that stays the
hand of mankind's final war. So let us begin anew, remembering
on both sides that civility is not a sign of weakness, and
sincerity is always subject to proof. Let us never negotiate
out of fear. But let us never fear to negotiate."
john kennedy
Post by Mark Brader
9. "Together, we will determine the course of America and the world
for many, many years to come. We will face challenges, we will
confront hardships, but we will get the job done. Every 4 years,
we gather on these steps to carry out the orderly and peaceful
transfer of power..."
donald trump
Post by Mark Brader
10. "I have taken an oath today in the presence of God and my
countrymen to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United
I shall consecrate my Office, my energies, and all the wisdom
I can summon to the cause of peace among nations. Let this
message be heard by strong and weak alike..."
richard nixon
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 3, Round 6 - Entertainment - Not Related To
For each question we will describe two celebrities, mostly actors
and actresses, who go by the same surname. It may or may not be
their real name, but in any case, they are not related. We will
always describe them in alphabetical order by first name, not that
we expect that to help you.
You must give *both their first names and their shared surname*,
like "Chris and Lyndon Johnson", but you don't have to name them
in order.
1. Her songs include "California Gurls" and "I Kissed a Girl".
He's best known for a sitcom that ran from 1994 to 2004.
To repeat, they aren't related but have the same surname;
name both.
katy and matthew perry [bad timing]
Post by Mark Brader
2. The woman has appeared in 8 movies where Woody Allen either
starred or directed. The man's been in a number of superhero
movies, and he was nominated -- but didn't win -- for Best
Actor in the movie that did win Best Picture for 2014.
diane and michael keaton
Post by Mark Brader
3. One woman is known for falling in love with a vampire; the other
publishes a magazine named after her, and has hosted two TV shows
named after her, one before and one after her prison sentence.
kristin and martha stewart
Post by Mark Brader
4. One woman starred in a Hitchcock movie where she's killed in
the first half; the other starred in, and won Best Actress for,
the Best Picture winner for 1939.
janet and vivian leigh
Post by Mark Brader
5. She was "Unfaithful Under the Tuscan Sun" -- no, wait, those
were two of her movies. He's starred in "The Producers" both
on stage (winning a Tony) and on screen.
diane and nathan lane
Post by Mark Brader
8. The first woman starred in "A Few Good Men", and met some bad
men in "Disclosure" and "Indecent Proposal". The second one sang
"I Wanna Be with You in My Pocket, Have a Little Faith in Me"
-- oh, sorry, those were three separate titles.
demi and mandy moore
Post by Mark Brader
9. He played himself as the title character of a sitcom, and
currently hosts a long-running game show; she sang "All I Want
for Christmas is You", and many other songs.
drew and mariah carey
Post by Mark Brader
10. The first man starred as a secret agent on the original "I Spy";
the second one had a recurring role as a secret agent on "JAG".
robert and steven culp
swp, who missed the last round somehow. I would have done well on beer, and just ok on bears
Mark Brader
2023-11-01 15:32:50 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-10-02,
and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information
please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
I wrote two of these rounds.
The audio round and the entertainment round.
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 3, Round 4 - Geography - US State License Plates
We've had beers and bears, so now how about a round on bores? Well,
maybe that would be too boring.
After adding that passage to the preamble, it occurred to me that
a round on tunnels would have been a perfectly reasonable idea,
but at that point it was too late to actually do it. Oh well.
Post by Mark Brader
http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g3r4/plat.pdf
and simply identify each US state from the plate and the slogan.
I've sorted the round in order by the handout. There were two
decoys, which are now interspersed with the questions: answer them
if you like for fun, but for no points.
1 (decoy). The Last Frontier.
Alaska. Dan Tilque, Joshua, and Stephen got this.
Post by Mark Brader
2. Live Free or Die.
New Hampshire. 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
3. Great Faces, Great Places
South Dakota. 4 for everyone -- Dan Tilque, Erland, Joshua, Dan Blum,
and Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
4. Wild, Wonderful.
West Virginia. 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, and Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
5. The Natural State.
Arkansas. 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, and Stephen.

Note the diamond in the background. Arkansas has a state park where
visitors are allowed to search for and keep any minerals they can
find and remove (without power tools), including diamonds. See:
http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/parks/crater-diamonds-state-park/digging-for-diamonds
Post by Mark Brader
6. Ocean State.
Rhode Island. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
7 (decoy). First in Flight.
North Carolina. Dan Tilque, Erland, Joshua, and Stephen got this.
Post by Mark Brader
8. The First State.
Delaware. 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
9. Land of Enchantment.
New Mexico. 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
10. Life Elevated.
Utah. 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
11. Constitution State.
Connecticut. 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
12. Native America.
Oklahoma. 4 for Dan Tilque and Stephen. 2 for Joshua.
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 3, Round 5 - Audio - The Inaugural Address
Yes, it's an audio round without the audio. In the original game,
of course, a clip of the speech was played. Here you will have
a transcript of each clip.
This, in its original form, was the easiest round in the original
game and is a likely candidate for easiest round in the whole season.
Post by Mark Brader
The last round was US states, and this one is US presidents.
On each question, name the president who is speaking at his
inauguration after being newly elected. For fun, you may also
mention the year of the speech, but it's not part of your answer.
If two presidents have had the same surname, you must disambiguate
appropriately.
1. "We will build our defenses beyond challenge, lest weakness
invite challenge. We will confront weapons of mass destruction,
so that a new century is spared new horrors. The enemies
of liberty and our country should make no mistake: America
remains engaged in the world, by history and by choice, shaping
a balance of power that favors freedom."
George W. Bush. (Requiring "W." or accepting George Bush II or Jr.)
(2001). 4 for Stephen. 3 for Dan Blum.
Post by Mark Brader
2. "Through a crucible for the ages America has been tested anew,
and America has risen to the challenge. Today we celebrate
the triumph not of a candidate, but of a cause, the cause of
democracy. The people -- the will of the people has been heard,
and the will of the people has been heeded. We've learned again
that democracy is precious, democracy is fragile. At this
hour, my friends, democracy has prevailed."
Joe (Joseph) Biden (2021). 4 for everyone.
Post by Mark Brader
3. "There is no longer a clear division between what is foreign
and what is domestic. The world economy, the world environment,
the world AIDS crisis, the world arms race: they affect us all.
Today, as an old order passes, the new world is more free
but less stable. Communism's collapse has called forth old
animosities and new dangers. Clearly, America must continue
to lead the world we did so much to make."
Bill (William) Clinton (1993). 4 for everyone.
Post by Mark Brader
4. "But we have no promise from God that our greatness will endure.
We have been allowed by Him to seek greatness with the sweat
of our hands and the strength of our spirit. I do not believe
that the Great Society is the ordered, changeless, and sterile
battalion of the ants. It is the excitement of becoming -- always
becoming..."
Lyndon Johnson. (Requiring "Lyndon" or accepting LBJ.) (1965).
Post by Mark Brader
5. "For we know that our patchwork heritage is a strength, not
a weakness. We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and
Hindus -- and nonbelievers. We are shaped by every language and
culture, drawn from every end of this Earth. And because we have
tasted the bitter swill of civil war and segregation and emerged
from that dark chapter stronger and more united, we cannot help
but believe that the old hatreds shall someday pass..."
Barack Obama (2009). 4 for Erland, Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
6. "This is preeminently the time to speak the truth, the whole
truth, frankly and boldly. Nor need we shrink from honestly
facing conditions in our country today. This great nation
will endure as it has endured, will revive and will prosper.
So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only
thing we have to fear is -- fear itself."
Franklin Roosevelt. (Requiring "Franklin" or accepting FDR.)
(1933). 4 for everyone.
Post by Mark Brader
7. "...both sides overburdened by the cost of modern weapons, both
rightly alarmed by the steady spread of the deadly atom, yet both
racing to alter that uncertain balance of terror that stays the
hand of mankind's final war. So let us begin anew, remembering
on both sides that civility is not a sign of weakness, and
sincerity is always subject to proof. Let us never negotiate
out of fear. But let us never fear to negotiate."
John Kennedy. (Accepting JFK.) (1961). 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland,
and Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
8. "The economic ills we suffer have come upon us over several
decades. They will not go away in days, weeks, or months, but
they will go away. They will go away because we as Americans
have the capacity now, as we've had in the past, to do whatever
needs to be done to preserve this last and greatest bastion
of freedom. In this present crisis, government is not the
solution to our problem; government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan (1981). 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, Dan Blum,
and Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
9. "Together, we will determine the course of America and the world
for many, many years to come. We will face challenges, we will
confront hardships, but we will get the job done. Every 4 years,
we gather on these steps to carry out the orderly and peaceful
transfer of power..."
Donald Trump (2017). 4 for Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
10. "I have taken an oath today in the presence of God and my
countrymen to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United
I shall consecrate my Office, my energies, and all the wisdom
I can summon to the cause of peace among nations. Let this
message be heard by strong and weak alike..."
Richard Nixon (1969). 4 for Stephen. 3 for Joshua.
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 3, Round 6 - Entertainment - Not Related To
For each question we will describe two celebrities, mostly actors
and actresses, who go by the same surname. It may or may not be
their real name, but in any case, they are not related. We will
always describe them in alphabetical order by first name, not that
we expect that to help you.
You must give *both their first names and their shared surname*,
like "Chris and Lyndon Johnson", but you don't have to name them
in order.
1. Her songs include "California Gurls" and "I Kissed a Girl".
He's best known for a sitcom that ran from 1994 to 2004.
To repeat, they aren't related but have the same surname;
name both.
Katy and Matthew Perry. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

("Friends". Well, he was still alive when I wrote the question.)
Post by Mark Brader
2. The woman has appeared in 8 movies where Woody Allen either
starred or directed. The man's been in a number of superhero
movies, and he was nominated -- but didn't win -- for Best
Actor in the movie that did win Best Picture for 2014.
Diane and Michael Keaton. 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, Dan Blum,
and Stephen.

("Birdman".)
Post by Mark Brader
3. One woman is known for falling in love with a vampire; the other
publishes a magazine named after her, and has hosted two TV shows
named after her, one before and one after her prison sentence.
Kristen and Martha Stewart. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

("Twilight" movie series.)
Post by Mark Brader
4. One woman starred in a Hitchcock movie where she's killed in
the first half; the other starred in, and won Best Actress for,
the Best Picture winner for 1939.
Janet and Vivien Leigh. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

("Psycho" and "Gone with the Wind". Fun fact: It used to be common
for people who arrived late to a movie to be admitted anyway,
with the expectation that they'd watch what was left of the movie,
then stay and watch at least the beginning of the next showing.
Because Janet Leigh had star billing but was in less than half of
"Psycho", late-arriving viewers might have been confused, so cinemas
were ordered not to admit them.)
Post by Mark Brader
5. She was "Unfaithful Under the Tuscan Sun" -- no, wait, those
were two of her movies. He's starred in "The Producers" both
on stage (winning a Tony) and on screen.
Diane and Nathan Lane. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
6. These two women have 5 Best Actress Oscars between them.
Audrey and Katharine Hepburn. 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, Dan Blum,
and Stephen.

Audrey won for "Roman Holiday" (1953), Katherine for "Morning Glory"
(1933), "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" (1967), "The Lion in Winter"
(1968), and "On Golden Pond" (1981).
Post by Mark Brader
7. He won an Oscar for "Training Day"; she won a TV Guide Fan
Favorite Award for "Scandal".
Denzel and Kerry Washington. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
8. The first woman starred in "A Few Good Men", and met some bad
men in "Disclosure" and "Indecent Proposal". The second one sang
"I Wanna Be with You in My Pocket, Have a Little Faith in Me"
-- oh, sorry, those were three separate titles.
Demi and Mandy Moore. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
9. He played himself as the title character of a sitcom, and
currently hosts a long-running game show; she sang "All I Want
for Christmas is You", and many other songs.
Drew and Mariah Carey. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

("The Price is Right".)
Post by Mark Brader
10. The first man starred as a secret agent on the original "I Spy";
the second one had a recurring role as a secret agent on "JAG".
Robert and Steven Culp. 4 for Stephen.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 3 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 5 6 BEST
TOPICS-> Mis Sci Geo Aud Ent THREE
Stephen Perry -- -- 40 40 40 120
Joshua Kreitzer 8 21 34 27 36 97
Dan Blum 16 26 28 27 32 87
Dan Tilque 12 16 40 24 8 80
Erland Sommarskog 8 0 4 20 0 32
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Just because it's correct doesn't
***@vex.net make it right!" -- Jonas Schlein

Mark Brader
2023-11-21 12:32:32 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
...On each question, name the president who is speaking at his
inauguration after being newly elected...
It was indeed the easiest round in the whole season. Game 1,
Round 7, "One-Word Movie Titles", was the third-easiest, and Game 2,
Round 8, the sports round on "Numbers", was fourth-easiest.

The second-hardest round of the entire season was a tie between
Game 1, Round 6, "The Title Character", and an audio round not
posted here. The sixth-hardest was Game 1, Round 4, the sports
round on "And in Last Place".

Now you know.
--
Mark Brader | "It is only a guess, of course.
***@vex.net | I hope none of you ever finds out for certain."