QFTCI23 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: Canadian ranks, US cities
Mark Brader
2023-11-08 06:16:38 UTC
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-10-16,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

I did not write either of these rounds.

* Game 4, Round 2 - Canadiana - Canadian Army and Navy Ranks

Please see: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g4r2/ranks.pdf

For the first 6 questions, we give you the number and tell you
which military force, and you must name the rank. Note that two
images are shown for each of illustrations #3 through #6 -- those
are the shoulder and sleeve insignia for the rank.

1. In Canada the official pronunciation of "L-I-E-U-T-E-N-A-N-T"
is the British "lef-tenant", not the sensible "loo-tenant".
So, in the army, which insignia is a lieutenant-general?

2. In the navy, which one is an acting sub-lieutenant?
3. In the navy, which one is a captain?
4. In the army, which one is a captain?
5. In the army, which one is a colonel?
6. In the navy, which one is a lieutenant?

The remaining questions, of course, work the other way. You must
give the full name of each rank -- if the right answer was
"lieutenant-general", then "lieutenant" or "general" would be wrong,
even though this officer would be addressed as "General" Johnson.

7. What navy rank has insignia 4?
8. What army rank has insignia 3?
9. What army rank has insignia 9?
10. What navy rank has insignia 15?

So there were 6 decoys. Please decode the rot13 after you've
finished the round, if you'd like to see the ranks and identify
the insignia for each one, for fun, but for no points.

11. Anil, puvrs crggl bssvpre svefg pynff.
12. Nezl, znwbe.
13. Nezl, fretrnag.
14. Anil, nqzveny.
15. Nezl, yvrhgranag-pbybary.
16. Anil, yvrhgranag-pbzznaqre.

* Game 4, Round 3 - Geography - Largest Cities in US States

We'll give you the name of a US state; you simply tell us the
name of its largest city by population. In every case we are referring
to the population of the city proper, not its metropolitan area.

1. Florida.
2. Alaska.
3. Louisiana.
4. Delaware.
5. Iowa.
6. Kentucky.
7. Maine.
8. Texas.
9. North Dakota.
10. Montana.
--
Mark Brader "They're trying to invent a new crime:
Toronto interference with a business model."

swp
2023-11-09 00:09:58 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-10-16,
and should be interpreted accordingly.
Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.
All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".
I did not write either of these rounds.
coincidentally, neither did I
5
Post by Mark Brader
2. In the navy, which one is an acting sub-lieutenant?
16
Post by Mark Brader
3. In the navy, which one is a captain?
14
Post by Mark Brader
4. In the army, which one is a captain?
10
7
2
Post by Mark Brader
The remaining questions, of course, work the other way. You must
give the full name of each rank -- if the right answer was
"lieutenant-general", then "lieutenant" or "general" would be wrong,
even though this officer would be addressed as "General" Johnson.
7. What navy rank has insignia 4?
rear admiral
Post by Mark Brader
8. What army rank has insignia 3?
brigadier general
Post by Mark Brader
9. What army rank has insignia 9?
2nd lieutenant
Post by Mark Brader
10. What navy rank has insignia 15?
commander
Post by Mark Brader
So there were 6 decoys. Please decode the rot13 after you've
finished the round, if you'd like to see the ranks and identify
the insignia for each one, for fun, but for no points.
11. Navy, chief petty officer first class.
11
Post by Mark Brader
12. Army, major.
12
Post by Mark Brader
13. Army, sergeant.
13
Post by Mark Brader
14. Navy, admiral.
6
Post by Mark Brader
15. Army, lieutenant-colonel.
1
Post by Mark Brader
16. Navy, lieutenant-commander.
8
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 4, Round 3 - Geography - Largest Cities in US States
We'll give you the name of a US state; you simply tell us the
name of its largest city by population. In every case we are referring
to the population of the city proper, not its metropolitan area.
1. Florida.
jacksonville
Post by Mark Brader
2. Alaska.
anchorage
Post by Mark Brader
3. Louisiana.
new orleans
Post by Mark Brader
4. Delaware.
wilmington
Post by Mark Brader
5. Iowa.
des moines
Post by Mark Brader
6. Kentucky.
louisville
Post by Mark Brader
7. Maine.
portland
Post by Mark Brader
8. Texas.
houston
Post by Mark Brader
9. North Dakota.
fargo
Post by Mark Brader
10. Montana.
billings
Post by Mark Brader
--
Toronto interference with a business model."
swp
Joshua Kreitzer
2023-11-09 00:12:10 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 4, Round 2 - Canadiana - Canadian Army and Navy Ranks
Pass.
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 4, Round 3 - Geography - Largest Cities in US States
We'll give you the name of a US state; you simply tell us the
name of its largest city by population. In every case we are referring
to the population of the city proper, not its metropolitan area.
1. Florida.
Jacksonville
Post by Mark Brader
2. Alaska.
Anchorage
Post by Mark Brader
3. Louisiana.
New Orleans
Post by Mark Brader
4. Delaware.
Wilmington
Post by Mark Brader
5. Iowa.
Des Moines
Post by Mark Brader
6. Kentucky.
Louisville
Post by Mark Brader
7. Maine.
Portland
Post by Mark Brader
8. Texas.
Houston
Post by Mark Brader
9. North Dakota.
Grand Falls; Fargo
Post by Mark Brader
10. Montana.
Bozeman; Billings

--
Joshua Kreitzer
***@hotmail.com
Erland Sommarskog
2023-11-08 20:31:56 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 4, Round 3 - Geography - Largest Cities in US States
We'll give you the name of a US state; you simply tell us the
name of its largest city by population. In every case we are referring
to the population of the city proper, not its metropolitan area.
1. Florida.
Miami
Post by Mark Brader
2. Alaska.
Anchorage
Post by Mark Brader
3. Louisiana.
New Oreleans
Post by Mark Brader
4. Delaware.
Wilmington
Post by Mark Brader
5. Iowa.
Des Moines
Post by Mark Brader
6. Kentucky.
Louisville
Post by Mark Brader
7. Maine.
Portland
Post by Mark Brader
8. Texas.
Houston
Post by Mark Brader
9. North Dakota.
Fargo
Post by Mark Brader
10. Montana.
Helena
Dan Blum
2023-11-09 05:09:02 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
8. What army rank has insignia 3?
brigadier
Post by Mark Brader
9. What army rank has insignia 9?
first lieutenant
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 4, Round 3 - Geography - Largest Cities in US States
1. Florida.
Miami
Post by Mark Brader
2. Alaska.
Anchorage
Post by Mark Brader
3. Louisiana.
New Orleans
Post by Mark Brader
4. Delaware.
Dover
Post by Mark Brader
5. Iowa.
Des Moines
Post by Mark Brader
6. Kentucky.
Louisville
Post by Mark Brader
7. Maine.
Portland
Post by Mark Brader
8. Texas.
Houston
Post by Mark Brader
9. North Dakota.
Bismarck
Post by Mark Brader
10. Montana.
Helena; Billings
Dan Blum ***@panix.com
Dan Tilque
2023-11-09 09:48:18 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
The remaining questions, of course, work the other way. You must
give the full name of each rank -- if the right answer was
"lieutenant-general", then "lieutenant" or "general" would be wrong,
even though this officer would be addressed as "General" Johnson.
7. What navy rank has insignia 4?
Rear Admiral
Post by Mark Brader
8. What army rank has insignia 3?
Brigadier General
Post by Mark Brader
9. What army rank has insignia 9?
Lieutenant
Post by Mark Brader
10. What navy rank has insignia 15?
Lieutenant Commander
Post by Mark Brader
So there were 6 decoys. Please decode the rot13 after you've
finished the round, if you'd like to see the ranks and identify
the insignia for each one, for fun, but for no points.
11. Anil, puvrs crggl bssvpre svefg pynff.
12. Nezl, znwbe.
13. Nezl, fretrnag.
14. Anil, nqzveny.
15. Nezl, yvrhgranag-pbybary.
16. Anil, yvrhgranag-pbzznaqre.
* Game 4, Round 3 - Geography - Largest Cities in US States
We'll give you the name of a US state; you simply tell us the
name of its largest city by population. In every case we are referring
to the population of the city proper, not its metropolitan area.
1. Florida.
Miami
Post by Mark Brader
2. Alaska.
Anchorage
Post by Mark Brader
3. Louisiana.
New Orleans
Post by Mark Brader
4. Delaware.
Wilmington
Post by Mark Brader
5. Iowa.
Des Moines
Post by Mark Brader
6. Kentucky.
Lexington
Post by Mark Brader
7. Maine.
Portland
Post by Mark Brader
8. Texas.
Houston
Post by Mark Brader
9. North Dakota.
Fargo
Post by Mark Brader
10. Montana.
Great Falls; Billings
Dan Tilque
Pete Gayde
2023-11-10 04:48:47 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
[...]
Miami; Orlando
Post by Mark Brader
2. Alaska.
Fairbanks
Post by Mark Brader
3. Louisiana.
New Orleans
Post by Mark Brader
4. Delaware.
Wilmington
Post by Mark Brader
5. Iowa.
Des Moines
Post by Mark Brader
6. Kentucky.
Louisville
Post by Mark Brader
7. Maine.
Portland
Post by Mark Brader
8. Texas.
Houston
Post by Mark Brader
9. North Dakota.
Fargo
Post by Mark Brader
10. Montana.
Billings; Butte
Pete Gayde
Mark Brader
2023-11-11 06:00:03 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-10-16,
and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information
#5. 4 for Stephen, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.
#16. 4 for Stephen, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.
#14. 4 for Stephen, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.
#10. 4 for Stephen and Dan Tilque.
#7. 4 for Stephen and Dan Tilque.
#2. 4 for Stephen and Dan Blum.
Post by Mark Brader
The remaining questions, of course, work the other way. You must
give the full name of each rank -- if the right answer was
"lieutenant-general", then "lieutenant" or "general" would be wrong,
even though this officer would be addressed as "General" Johnson.
7. What navy rank has insignia 4?
Rear admiral. 4 for Stephen, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.
Post by Mark Brader
8. What army rank has insignia 3?
Brigadier-general. 4 for Stephen and Dan Tilque.

"Brigadier" is a British army rank.
Post by Mark Brader
9. What army rank has insignia 9?
Second lieutenant (either pronunciation was accepted). 4 for Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
10. What navy rank has insignia 15?
Commander. 4 for Stephen and Dan Blum.
Post by Mark Brader
So there were 6 decoys. Please decode the rot13 after you've
finished the round, if you'd like to see the ranks and identify
the insignia for each one, for fun, but for no points.
#11.
12. Army, major.
#12.
13. Army, sergeant.
#13.
14. Navy, admiral.
#6.
15. Army, lieutenant-colonel.
#1.
#8.
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 4, Round 3 - Geography - Largest Cities in US States
We'll give you the name of a US state; you simply tell us the
name of its largest city by population. In every case we are referring
to the population of the city proper, not its metropolitan area.
1. Florida.
Jacksonville. 4 for Stephen and Joshua.

It's more than twice the population of Miami and three times
that of Orlando, which is also smaller than Tampa.
Post by Mark Brader
2. Alaska.
Anchorage. 4 for Erland, Stephen, Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.
It's almost 9 times the population of Fairbanks, which is #2.
Post by Mark Brader
3. Louisiana.
New Orleans. 4 for everyone -- Erland, Stephen, Joshua, Dan Blum,
Dan Tilque, and Pete.
Post by Mark Brader
4. Delaware.
Wilmington. 4 for Erland, Stephen, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.
Dover is #2, but Wilmington has almost twice the population.
Post by Mark Brader
5. Iowa.
Des Moines. 4 for everyone.
Post by Mark Brader
6. Kentucky.
Louisville. 4 for Erland, Stephen, Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.
Lexington is #2, but Louisville has almost twice the population.
Post by Mark Brader
7. Maine.
Portland. 4 for everyone.
Post by Mark Brader
8. Texas.
Houston. 4 for everyone.
Post by Mark Brader
9. North Dakota.
Fargo. 4 for Erland, Stephen, Dan Tilque, and Pete. 2 for Joshua.
It's about 75% larger than Bismarck, which is #2, and more than
double the #3 city, which is Grand Forks, not Grand Falls.
Post by Mark Brader
10. Montana.
Billings. 4 for Stephen. 3 for Pete. 2 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
and Dan Tilque.

Billings is almost twice the population of Great Falls, the #3 city;
more than twice that of Bozeman, #4; and 3.5 times that of Helena, #6.
(#2 is Missoula and #5 is Butte.)

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 4 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Can Geo
Stephen Perry 40 40 80
Dan Tilque 28 30 58
Dan Blum 24 26 50
Joshua Kreitzer 0 36 36
Erland Sommarskog 0 32 32
Pete Gayde 0 31 31
--
Mark Brader | "After that, he spent a long time just reading netnews.
***@vex.net | Sorry, I mean of course that he was debugging his