QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: losing teams, title characters
Mark Brader
2023-10-05 05:54:19 UTC
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-09-18,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

I wrote both of these rounds.

* Game 1, Round 4 - Sports - And in Last Place

In each case name the team. Either the place name or team name
will be sufficient, like "Saskatchewan" or "Roughriders", unless
we say otherwise.

1. While exact information is not available, in its first 63 years
of operation this professional team won maybe 3 games, and lost
about 16,000 games.

2. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
finished with the previous one. Gur erfg bs guvf ebhaq pbapreaf
grnzf cynlvat va beqvanel cebsrffvbany yrnthrf. Nyy gur grnzf
ner fgvyy cynlvat gbqnl, naq vs gurl unir punatrq anzrf, jr jvyy
npprcg gurve pheerag anzr. Va gur AON, qhr gb n ynobe qvfchgr,
gur 2011-12 frnfba jnf bayl 66 tnzrf ybat. Guvf Fbhgurnfg
Qvivfvba grnz svavfurq gur frnfba jvgu 7 jvaf naq 59 ybffrf.
Gurve yrnqvat fpbere jnf Trenyq Uraqrefba We.

3. The worst record in major-league baseball since World War II
belongs to this National League team in 1962, when they won
40 games and lost 120. Jimmy Breslin's book about that season
was titled "Can't Anybody Here Play This Game?"

4. The worst baseball record in recent years was this American
League Central Division team with 47 wins and 114 losses in 2019.

5. Considering only home games for each team, the all-time record
home losing streak for *all* professional sports in North
America was the 20 consecutive home losses suffered by the
St. Louis Browns in June and July 1953 -- until *this* team
exceeded it by losing 22 consecutive home games from October
2019 to August 2023. Obviously this isn't a baseball team --
what team is it?

6. In the 1976 NFL season, this team lost all 14 games. Despite
their location, they were then playing in the AFC West Division.
Their head coach was John McKay and their primary quarterback
was Steve Spurrier.

7. In 1974-75 this NHL team in the Norris Division won 8 games,
lost 67, and tied 5. Four of their losses were by 10 goals
or more. Their primary goalie, Ron Low, had a goals-against
average of 5.45.

8. In 1992-93 this team in the NHL's Smythe Division won 11 games
and tied 2, but their 71 losses are a record that still stands
today. At one point they lost 17 games in a row; in one game
they scored first and lost 13-1. Their leading scorer was
Kelly Kisio with 26 goals on the whole season.

9. This English soccer team was promoted into the Premier League
in 2007, but had clinched relegation back to their previous
league 6 weeks before the 2007-08 season was over! That season
they won 1 game, drew 8, and lost 29. They scored 20 goals in
the whole season to 89 for their opponents. Billy Davies was
replaced as manager by Paul Jewell, who lasted only a little
over a year.

10. On this continent, the record for losses in Major League Soccer
was set in 1999. Including games decided by shootout,
this Eastern Conference team won just 7 games and lost 25.
They scored 35 goals in the season, 7 of them by Eduardo Hurtado;
Bora Milutinovic was the coach.

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Ba dhrfgvbaf
1 naq 9, gur shyy anzr vf erdhverq -- cynpr anzr naq grnz anzr.
Gur fnzr nccyvrf ba dhrfgvba 10 vs lbh tvir gur cerfrag-qnl anzr.
Ba dhrfgvba 3, gur grnz anzr vf erdhverq.

* Game 1, Round 6 - Literature - The Title Character

In each case we will name a book whose title refers to a specific
character, and you must name *that character*. For example, we say
"The Lord of the Rings" by J.R.R. Tolkien, and you say Sauron.
In some cases the character's first name will do, but we won't
tell you which questions. Note that the title character is not
necessarily the lead character of the book.

1. "The Hobbit" by J.R.R. Tolkien.
2. "The Old Man and the Sea" by Ernest Hemingway.
3. "Rabbit, Run" by John Updike.
4. "Lolita" by Vladimir Nabokov.
5. "The Idiot" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.
6. "The Merchant of Venice" by William Shakespeare.

7. "Lady Chatterley's Lover" by D.H. Lawrence. We want the second
title character, of course.

8. "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" by J.K. Rowling
["Rolling"]. We want the second title character, of course.

9. "The Stranger", also known in English as "The Outsider", by
Albert Camus.

10. "Stranger in a Strange Land" by Robert A. Heinlein.

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg
dhbgrq gur gvgyr nf lbhe nafjre sbe bar dhrfgvba, tb onpx naq gryy
gur gvgyr punenpgre'f *erny* anzr.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Logic is logic. That's all I say."
***@vex.net -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Dan Tilque
2023-10-05 06:55:37 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
[...]
Washington Generals
Post by Mark Brader
2. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
finished with the previous one. Gur erfg bs guvf ebhaq pbapreaf
grnzf cynlvat va beqvanel cebsrffvbany yrnthrf. Nyy gur grnzf
ner fgvyy cynlvat gbqnl, naq vs gurl unir punatrq anzrf, jr jvyy
npprcg gurve pheerag anzr. Va gur AON, qhr gb n ynobe qvfchgr,
gur 2011-12 frnfba jnf bayl 66 tnzrf ybat. Guvf Fbhgurnfg
Qvivfvba grnz svavfurq gur frnfba jvgu 7 jvaf naq 59 ybffrf.
Gurve yrnqvat fpbere jnf Trenyq Uraqrefba We.
Charlotte Hornets
Post by Mark Brader
3. The worst record in major-league baseball since World War II
belongs to this National League team in 1962, when they won
40 games and lost 120. Jimmy Breslin's book about that season
was titled "Can't Anybody Here Play This Game?"
New York Mets
Post by Mark Brader
4. The worst baseball record in recent years was this American
League Central Division team with 47 wins and 114 losses in 2019.
5. Considering only home games for each team, the all-time record
home losing streak for *all* professional sports in North
America was the 20 consecutive home losses suffered by the
St. Louis Browns in June and July 1953 -- until *this* team
exceeded it by losing 22 consecutive home games from October
2019 to August 2023. Obviously this isn't a baseball team --
what team is it?
Detroit Lions
Post by Mark Brader
6. In the 1976 NFL season, this team lost all 14 games. Despite
their location, they were then playing in the AFC West Division.
Their head coach was John McKay and their primary quarterback
was Steve Spurrier.
New Orleans Saints
Post by Mark Brader
[...]
Bilbo Baggins
Post by Mark Brader
2. "The Old Man and the Sea" by Ernest Hemingway.
3. "Rabbit, Run" by John Updike.
4. "Lolita" by Vladimir Nabokov.
5. "The Idiot" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.
6. "The Merchant of Venice" by William Shakespeare.
Antonio
Post by Mark Brader
7. "Lady Chatterley's Lover" by D.H. Lawrence. We want the second
title character, of course.
8. "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" by J.K. Rowling
["Rolling"]. We want the second title character, of course.
9. "The Stranger", also known in English as "The Outsider", by
Albert Camus.
10. "Stranger in a Strange Land" by Robert A. Heinlein.
Michael Valentine Smith
Dan Tilque
Joshua Kreitzer
2023-10-06 00:44:48 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
6. In the 1976 NFL season, this team lost all 14 games. Despite
their location, they were then playing in the AFC West Division.
Their head coach was John McKay and their primary quarterback
was Steve Spurrier.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Post by Mark Brader
2. "The Old Man and the Sea" by Ernest Hemingway.
Santiago
Post by Mark Brader
3. "Rabbit, Run" by John Updike.
Angstrom
Post by Mark Brader
4. "Lolita" by Vladimir Nabokov.
Dolores Haze
Post by Mark Brader
7. "Lady Chatterley's Lover" by D.H. Lawrence. We want the second
title character, of course.
Mellors
Post by Mark Brader
8. "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" by J.K. Rowling
["Rolling"]. We want the second title character, of course.
Nicolas Flamel
Post by Mark Brader
10. "Stranger in a Strange Land" by Robert A. Heinlein.
Valentine

--
Joshua Kreitzer
***@hotmail.com
swp
2023-10-06 00:49:18 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
2. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
finished with the previous one. The rest of this round concerns
teams playing in ordinary professional leagues. All the teams
are still playing today, and if they have changed names, we will
accept their current name. In the NBA, due to a labor dispute,
the 2011-12 season was only 66 games long. This Southeast
Division team finished the season with 7 wins and 59 losses.
Their leading scorer was Gerald Henderson Jr.
charlotte hornets
Post by Mark Brader
3. The worst record in major-league baseball since World War II
belongs to this National League team in 1962, when they won
40 games and lost 120. Jimmy Breslin's book about that season
was titled "Can't Anybody Here Play This Game?"
new york mets
Post by Mark Brader
4. The worst baseball record in recent years was this American
League Central Division team with 47 wins and 114 losses in 2019.
detroit tigers
Post by Mark Brader
5. Considering only home games for each team, the all-time record
home losing streak for *all* professional sports in North
America was the 20 consecutive home losses suffered by the
St. Louis Browns in June and July 1953 -- until *this* team
exceeded it by losing 22 consecutive home games from October
2019 to August 2023. Obviously this isn't a baseball team --
what team is it?
... my only guess is that it must be a cfl football team to ensure
the round has the minimum required amount of canadian content.
but I can barely remember who wins the gray cup so ... edmonton?
Post by Mark Brader
7. In 1974-75 this NHL team in the Norris Division won 8 games,
lost 67, and tied 5. Four of their losses were by 10 goals
or more. Their primary goalie, Ron Low, had a goals-against
average of 5.45.
washington capitals
Post by Mark Brader
8. In 1992-93 this team in the NHL's Smythe Division won 11 games
and tied 2, but their 71 losses are a record that still stands
today. At one point they lost 17 games in a row; in one game
they scored first and lost 13-1. Their leading scorer was
Kelly Kisio with 26 goals on the whole season.
ottawa senators?
Post by Mark Brader
9. This English soccer team was promoted into the Premier League
in 2007, but had clinched relegation back to their previous
league 6 weeks before the 2007-08 season was over! That season
they won 1 game, drew 8, and lost 29. They scored 20 goals in
the whole season to 89 for their opponents. Billy Davies was
replaced as manager by Paul Jewell, who lasted only a little
over a year.
derby rams
Post by Mark Brader
10. On this continent, the record for losses in Major League Soccer
was set in 1999. Including games decided by shootout,
this Eastern Conference team won just 7 games and lost 25.
They scored 35 goals in the season, 7 of them by Eduardo Hurtado;
Bora Milutinovic was the coach.
new york red bulls
Post by Mark Brader
After completing the round, please decode the rot13: On questions
1 and 9, the full name is required -- place name and team name.
The same applies on question 10 if you give the present-day name.
On question 3, the team name is required.
Post by Mark Brader
2. "The Old Man and the Sea" by Ernest Hemingway.
santiago
Post by Mark Brader
3. "Rabbit, Run" by John Updike.
harry angstrom
Post by Mark Brader
4. "Lolita" by Vladimir Nabokov.
dolores haze
Post by Mark Brader
5. "The Idiot" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.
fyodor dostoyevsky
Post by Mark Brader
6. "The Merchant of Venice" by William Shakespeare.
antonio
Post by Mark Brader
7. "Lady Chatterley's Lover" by D.H. Lawrence. We want the second
title character, of course.
oliver mellors
Post by Mark Brader
8. "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" by J.K. Rowling
["Rolling"]. We want the second title character, of course.
nicolas flammel
Post by Mark Brader
9. "The Stranger", also known in English as "The Outsider", by
Albert Camus.
meursalt?
Post by Mark Brader
10. "Stranger in a Strange Land" by Robert A. Heinlein.
valentine michael smith
Post by Mark Brader
After completing the round, please decode the rot13: If you just
quoted the title as your answer for one question, go back and tell
the title character's *real* name.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Logic is logic. That's all I say."
swp
Dan Blum
2023-10-06 02:29:52 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
2. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
finished with the previous one. Gur erfg bs guvf ebhaq pbapreaf
grnzf cynlvat va beqvanel cebsrffvbany yrnthrf. Nyy gur grnzf
ner fgvyy cynlvat gbqnl, naq vs gurl unir punatrq anzrf, jr jvyy
npprcg gurve pheerag anzr. Va gur AON, qhr gb n ynobe qvfchgr,
gur 2011-12 frnfba jnf bayl 66 tnzrf ybat. Guvf Fbhgurnfg
Qvivfvba grnz svavfurq gur frnfba jvgu 7 jvaf naq 59 ybffrf.
Gurve yrnqvat fpbere jnf Trenyq Uraqrefba We.
Hawks
Post by Mark Brader
3. The worst record in major-league baseball since World War II
belongs to this National League team in 1962, when they won
40 games and lost 120. Jimmy Breslin's book about that season
was titled "Can't Anybody Here Play This Game?"
Mets
Post by Mark Brader
4. The worst baseball record in recent years was this American
League Central Division team with 47 wins and 114 losses in 2019.
Royals; Astros
Post by Mark Brader
5. Considering only home games for each team, the all-time record
home losing streak for *all* professional sports in North
America was the 20 consecutive home losses suffered by the
St. Louis Browns in June and July 1953 -- until *this* team
exceeded it by losing 22 consecutive home games from October
2019 to August 2023. Obviously this isn't a baseball team --
what team is it?
Browns; Lions
Post by Mark Brader
6. In the 1976 NFL season, this team lost all 14 games. Despite
their location, they were then playing in the AFC West Division.
Their head coach was John McKay and their primary quarterback
was Steve Spurrier.
Lions; Bengals
Post by Mark Brader
7. In 1974-75 this NHL team in the Norris Division won 8 games,
lost 67, and tied 5. Four of their losses were by 10 goals
or more. Their primary goalie, Ron Low, had a goals-against
average of 5.45.
Blues; Sabres
Post by Mark Brader
8. In 1992-93 this team in the NHL's Smythe Division won 11 games
and tied 2, but their 71 losses are a record that still stands
today. At one point they lost 17 games in a row; in one game
they scored first and lost 13-1. Their leading scorer was
Kelly Kisio with 26 goals on the whole season.
Sabres; Blues
Post by Mark Brader
9. This English soccer team was promoted into the Premier League
in 2007, but had clinched relegation back to their previous
league 6 weeks before the 2007-08 season was over! That season
they won 1 game, drew 8, and lost 29. They scored 20 goals in
the whole season to 89 for their opponents. Billy Davies was
replaced as manager by Paul Jewell, who lasted only a little
over a year.
Coventry City
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 1, Round 6 - Literature - The Title Character
1. "The Hobbit" by J.R.R. Tolkien.
Bilbo Baggins
Post by Mark Brader
3. "Rabbit, Run" by John Updike.
Rabbit Angstrom
Post by Mark Brader
5. "The Idiot" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.
Prince Myshkin
Dan Blum ***@panix.com
swp
2023-10-06 22:44:13 UTC
Post by Dan Blum
Post by Mark Brader
5. "The Idiot" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.
Prince Myshkin
isn't this a hotdog order at pink's in los angeles?
(and hold the relish)

swp
Mark Brader
2023-10-07 06:18:34 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-09-18,
and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information
please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
I wrote both of these rounds.
* Game 1, Round 4 - Sports - And in Last Place
In each case name the team. Either the place name or team name
will be sufficient, like "Saskatchewan" or "Roughriders", unless
we say otherwise.
1. While exact information is not available, in its first 63 years
of operation this professional team won maybe 3 games, and lost
about 16,000 games.
Washington Generals. (Perpetual opponents of the Harlem Globetrotters
stunt exhibition team. Full name required.) 4 for everyone --
Dan Tilque, Joshua, Stephen, and Dan Blum.
Post by Mark Brader
2. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
finished with the previous one. The rest of this round concerns
teams playing in ordinary professional leagues. All the teams
are still playing today, and if they have changed names, we will
accept their current name. In the NBA, due to a labor dispute,
the 2011-12 season was only 66 games long. This Southeast
Division team finished the season with 7 wins and 59 losses.
Their leading scorer was Gerald Henderson Jr.
Charlotte Bobcats (now Hornets). 4 for Dan Tilque and Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
3. The worst record in major-league baseball since World War II
belongs to this National League team in 1962, when they won
40 games and lost 120. Jimmy Breslin's book about that season
was titled "Can't Anybody Here Play This Game?"
New York Mets. ("Mets" was required.) 4 for everyone.
Post by Mark Brader
4. The worst baseball record in recent years was this American
League Central Division team with 47 wins and 114 losses in 2019.
Detroit Tigers. 4 for Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
5. Considering only home games for each team, the all-time record
home losing streak for *all* professional sports in North
America was the 20 consecutive home losses suffered by the
St. Louis Browns in June and July 1953 -- until *this* team
exceeded it by losing 22 consecutive home games from October
2019 to August 2023. Obviously this isn't a baseball team --
what team is it?
Edmonton Eskimos, now Elks. (The name changed during the period.)
4 for Stephen.

Fun facts:
* After October 12, 2019, Edmonton's next home win was 1,415 days
later on August 27 this year.
* The St. Louis Browns left town immediately after that 1953 season
and became the Baltimore Orioles.
* There have been even longer home losing streaks in Australian
football, where the record is 25.
Post by Mark Brader
6. In the 1976 NFL season, this team lost all 14 games. Despite
their location, they were then playing in the AFC West Division.
Their head coach was John McKay and their primary quarterback
was Steve Spurrier.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
7. In 1974-75 this NHL team in the Norris Division won 8 games,
lost 67, and tied 5. Four of their losses were by 10 goals
or more. Their primary goalie, Ron Low, had a goals-against
average of 5.45.
Washington Capitals. 4 for Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
8. In 1992-93 this team in the NHL's Smythe Division won 11 games
and tied 2, but their 71 losses are a record that still stands
today. At one point they lost 17 games in a row; in one game
they scored first and lost 13-1. Their leading scorer was
Kelly Kisio with 26 goals on the whole season.
San Jose Sharks.
Post by Mark Brader
9. This English soccer team was promoted into the Premier League
in 2007, but had clinched relegation back to their previous
league 6 weeks before the 2007-08 season was over! That season
they won 1 game, drew 8, and lost 29. They scored 20 goals in
the whole season to 89 for their opponents. Billy Davies was
replaced as manager by Paul Jewell, who lasted only a little
over a year.
Derby ["DAR-bee"] County. (Full name required.)
Post by Mark Brader
10. On this continent, the record for losses in Major League Soccer
was set in 1999. Including games decided by shootout,
this Eastern Conference team won just 7 games and lost 25.
They scored 35 goals in the season, 7 of them by Eduardo Hurtado;
Bora Milutinovic was the coach.
MetroStars, sometimes called New York / New Jersey, now New York
Red Bulls (full name required). 4 for Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
* Game 1, Round 6 - Literature - The Title Character
In each case we will name a book whose title refers to a specific
character, and you must name *that character*. For example, we say
"The Lord of the Rings" by J.R.R. Tolkien, and you say Sauron.
In some cases the character's first name will do, but we won't
tell you which questions. Note that the title character is not
necessarily the lead character of the book.
In the original game, this round was tied for hardest with the
audio round.
Post by Mark Brader
1. "The Hobbit" by J.R.R. Tolkien.
Bilbo Baggins. ("Bilbo" was sufficient.) 4 for everyone.
Post by Mark Brader
2. "The Old Man and the Sea" by Ernest Hemingway.
Santiago. (Last name not stated.) 4 for Joshua and Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
3. "Rabbit, Run" by John Updike.
Harry Angstrom. 4 for Joshua and Stephen. 3 for Dan Blum.

I gave the instruction: If you just quoted the title as your answer
for one question, go back and tell the title character's *real* name.
The question I had in mind here was #4. But on this question Dan gave
"Rabbit Angstrom". This is not exactly "just quoting the title",
but it also isn't the character's real name. I decided to score it
as almost correct.
Post by Mark Brader
4. "Lolita" by Vladimir Nabokov.
Dolores Haze. (Either name was sufficient.) 4 for Joshua, Stephen,
and Dan Blum.
Post by Mark Brader
5. "The Idiot" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.
Prince Lev Nikolayevich Myshkin. 4 for Dan Blum.
Post by Mark Brader
6. "The Merchant of Venice" by William Shakespeare.
Antonio. 4 for everyone.
Post by Mark Brader
7. "Lady Chatterley's Lover" by D.H. Lawrence. We want the second
title character, of course.
Oliver Mellors. (Either name is sufficient.) 4 for Joshua
and Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
8. "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" by J.K. Rowling
["Rolling"]. We want the second title character, of course.
Nicolas Flamel. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
9. "The Stranger", also known in English as "The Outsider", by
Albert Camus.
Meursault" ["Mur-SO"]. (First name not stated.) 4 for Stephen.
Post by Mark Brader
10. "Stranger in a Strange Land" by Robert A. Heinlein.
Valentine Michael Smith. 4 for Stephen. 3 for Dan Tilque
and Dan Blum.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Mis Sci Spo Lit
Stephen Perry 28 40 32 36 136
Joshua Kreitzer 12 35 12 28 87
Dan Blum 16 32 8 22 78
Dan Tilque 12 28 12 11 63
Pete Gayde 0 8 -- -- 8
--
Mark Brader "[This computation] assumed that everything
Toronto would work, a happy state of affairs found